The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening

4 posters

Go down

Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening Empty Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening

Post by tee_cee Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:59 pm

When the rear doors are locked, that there is no way to unlock/lock from the inside
Looking at the door however, it looks like it's missing something where the hole is.
The wire just showing, moves right to left and opens the door, in the same way that the lever handle does.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
tee_cee
tee_cee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening Empty Re: Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening

Post by brodco Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi wave  and welcome to the forum.

My rear door is exactly the same and I'm fairly sure it’s been brought up on the forum before (in the dim distant past).
Somebody once (on this forum I think) said the base van never had a means of opening / locking the rear door from the inside. I’ve no idea if this is true or not but it seems strange that AS would punch a hole in the trim for no reason.

If you do find out I’d be interested as well.

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening Empty Re: Duetto 1998 Transit - rear door opening

Post by Roopert Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Not sure how relevant this is, because my '99 Transit conversion had a tailgate but... it had no mechanism to lock/unlock the tailgate from inside.

It had a hole, cut in the trim by A/S, to open the catch, but IIRC this did not function if the tailgate was locked.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by tee_cee Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:14 pm

I guess it makes sense when used as a van, but it would be nice to be able to lock/unlock when inside.
I've just fitted central locking to the other doors, so I might take the lock apart to see if it can be done.
tee_cee
tee_cee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:05 pm

My 1999 Duetto had manual locking (no central locking) and the rear door had a hole with a half-hidden catch which could be used to lock / unlock the door. Have you had a really good look at what is there? It seems strange for there to be no catch
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by tee_cee Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Spospe wrote:My 1999 Duetto had manual locking (no central locking) and the rear door had a hole with a half-hidden catch which could be used to lock / unlock the door. Have you had a really good look at what is there? It seems strange for there to be no catch
The link I can see opens he door - but I'm almost fired up enough to dismantle it now to have a look :-)
tee_cee
tee_cee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tee_cee Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Picking up on other threads, suggests that the original vans did not have an internal lock, and a few others that confirm the empty cutout in the door card.
So the link with the yellow plastic guide is for the barrel lock - up to lock and down to unlock. The hole to the left is for the central locking link. It's not really possible to access this through the cutout.

I attached my central locking link which will be accessible though the cutout. Not the neatest but it allow me to lock/unlock from the inside.
Not going to wire it up just yet (I suspect chasing a wire the full length of the van will be a bit of a job)

tee_cee
tee_cee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:55 am

Hi wave

Ah, that explains it - thanks for posting the pictures and clearing that up. I never thought about central locking. What surprises me is that AS just punched a hole in the panel when they’ve fabricated a trim for everything else.

Unless there was a trim originally and they’ve all fallen off over the years. scratch head snigger 

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by tee_cee Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi, I've looked around and any pictures I've found just have a hole. In the old thread I found, the poster had contacted AS, and was told it was a Ford part, but later said that there was a part, but no further details.
The van had been fitted with a Scorpion alarm which had central locking outputs, so I bought an actuator kit for £16. It's nice to have, but to be honest it took far to long to fit.

tee_cee
tee_cee

Male

Back to top Go down