The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol MOdel

5 posters

Go down

Symbol MOdel Empty Symbol MOdel

Post by Raymond53 Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:32 pm

My vehicle battery does not hold a charge over winter. last used in October. Have charged but it loses , now wont charge at all. Advice please on how to stop this?
Raymond53
Raymond53

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Symbol MOdel Empty Re: Symbol MOdel

Post by glyne lock Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 pm

have you got any power in your vehicle battery as the charger in your van  will not start to charge if your volts are to low
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Raymond53 wrote:My vehicle battery does not hold a charge over winter. last used in October. Have charged but it loses , now wont charge at all. Advice please on how to stop this?

If you read your Peugeot handbook you will find the advice to disconnect the vehicle battery when the van is not being used. If the van is stored outside, you could fit a solar panel to keep the batteries charged while the van is not being used.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:43 pm

Ray
Charge your vehicle battery with an independant charger connected to under bonnet point detailed in Peugeot handbook. When charged then connect hook up to charge leisure battery. Then make sure for continued storage you shutdown the PSU with the top left black button. If either are flat within days then they are probably in need of replacing.
 Search "Battery" in this forum for other related posts where others have had problems. 

Hope this helps
Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Martin you might help Ray charge the battery and you might help Ray blow the battery up he needs to do other checks first .you need to red the other post that just tried to charge a flat battery and blow up
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:44 pm

Glyne
Accept the point made, perhaps you are better placed to help Ray.

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:15 am

Raymond53 wrote:My vehicle battery does not hold a charge over winter. last used in October. Have charged but it loses , now wont charge at all. Advice please on how to stop this?

You might have seen a lot of posts recently based around solar and batteries as it's a common issue, especially at this time of year.  The recent MH's (and modern vehicles in general) all suffer with the same issue, that the drain on the system is quite high and will drain the battery over a couple of weeks.  You notice it less in 'normal' cars as they are used so regularly, but as we use our MH's so little over winter (usually) we feel it most.

I have the same van as you and mine used to last a couple of weeks max before the alarm would trigger due to low battery life, luckily I caught mine in time and recovered it.  The key to avoid this is to either put it on charge regularly or fit a decent amount of solar which can compensate.

If the battery wont charge at all it sounds like it'll need replacing unfortunately - follow Glyne's advice to check it before moving forward, hopefully it'll be ok but a replacement may be the safest option.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Ray if you have the battery on charge now turn it off and get back to me . To recharge this and try and be safe you need to do checks first have you got any volts in your battery .i am on break at mo but will be driving now but will get back in the eve
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond53 Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Have come to the conclusion  that the battery is most probably dead. reluctant to try jump leads in case it causes damage. I will be calling my breakdown company to confirm this. If dead I will purchase new and in future turn off the PSU and keep it triple charged each month and use it for a drive.
Raymond53
Raymond53

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Raymond53 wrote:Have come to the conclusion  that the battery is most probably dead. reluctant to try jump leads in case it causes damage. I will be calling my breakdown company to confirm this. If dead I will purchase new and in future turn off the PSU and keep it triple charged each month and use it for a drive.

Did you get the solar panel with the van?  

Just asking as like me you'll find in summer you should be ok with the PSU left on to manage both batteries, but in winter even with the PSU completely turned off the solar still only supplies the leisure battery and the vehicle is left to drain again.

What you're proposing should be fine though and hopefully sort the issue, just good to be aware of it and schedule a regular charge.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 pm

Ray did your control show any volts in the vehicle battery as you may have blow the fuse to the vehicle battery. if you are looking for a new battery the old one fitted may say 017 but have been change to 019 and are now more cranking amps
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down