The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement Taps

2 posters

Go down

Replacement Taps Empty Replacement Taps

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Wed May 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi everyone,
You know how it is, everything was working well when it was put away for the winter, but come the spring, it's not!

Having refilled the onboard tanks ready for the season, and checking everything worked, I discovered an annoying drip from the mixer tap in the kitchen sink. Despite wishing otherwise it didn't go away, and meant the pump was short cycling far too much (and wasting water)
All attempts to find a way to dismantle the fitting came to nought, and enquires at the local camping shop revealed that no repaires are available, leaving "repair by replacement" as the only option. It was fortunate that the required fitting was readily available, but not so fortunate that it cost £38!
Anyway, I was able to gain access to the back of the sink by removing the external fridge vent and surround, andcould just squeeze my chubbly arms in to the gap! Thereafter replacement wasn't too difficult a job and the end result works fine.

So, a good result, but what an expensive drip! Could I have done it any cheaper another way?

Ah well, just the gearbox to sort... but that's another story!

Jeff
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Replacement Taps Empty Re: Replacement Taps

Post by boxerman Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Jeff and Di Giblin wrote: Could I have done it any cheaper another way?
Jeff
Yes! replace the O rings [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Replacement Taps Empty O rings

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Thu May 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for the comment Frank, I had a look at the link, but guessed these are the ones that help seal the incoming pipe connection. The drip in question was from the spout of the tap and I presume it was a failure of what was always called "the washer"! It was lack of any obvious way of dismantling the tap itself that led me into the arms of the caravan spares shop, and the advice that "You can't take them apart mate, you need a new one!" They, of course, have a vested interest in these things!

As always, it's good to have access to help from like minded souls, and comments are always much appreciated.

kind regards

Jeff
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Back to top Go down

Replacement Taps Empty Re: Replacement Taps

Post by boxerman Sun May 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Jeff and Di Giblin wrote:Thanks for the comment Frank, I had a look at the link, but guessed these are the ones that help seal the incoming pipe connection. The drip in question was from the spout of the tap and I presume it was a failure of what was always called "the washer"!
No! there is no washer in these taps, it is those O rings that do the job of the washer on ordinary taps

It was lack of any obvious way of dismantling the tap itself that led me into the arms of the caravan spares shop, and the advice that "You can't take them apart mate, you need a new one!" They, of course, have a vested interest in these things!
They come apart quite easily, have a practice on the taps you took off. The tap top pull straight off upwards, no twisting or screwing. Once that is off, it will reveal the white plastic control valve seen in the Ebay advert. Use a flat bladed tool like a screwdriver and gently prise it upwards until it "pops" out. Replace the O rings and pop the valve back in, then replace the tap top - job done!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Replacement Taps Empty A Very Expensive Drip!

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Sun May 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks again Frank,

Good advice, and a lesson learnt, always check with the forum before spending hard earned cash! Much appreciated for the future.

Anyway, off tomorrow on a much anticipated little trip to celebrate the big retirement! Being a complete railway "Anorak" I've always wanted to travel on the overnight sleeper to Scotland, and do the West Highland route by rail, to the coast. Well, tomorrow it's the time!

However, the following weekend we're booked to attend a family birthday in Surrey, a good 100 miles from home. Well, the family sent details of B&B accomodation, costing best part of £100 a night! but, we've booked a suitable campsite for £12 and will be very happy to stay in "Alice" our very lovely home from home. So, as we continue to discover, expensive, one off treats can be off-set against the benefits of having a little home from home of our own, magic.

kind regards to everyone

Jeff and Di
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Back to top Go down