The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mirror Protectors

+7
RogerThat
Gromit
CJ1949
Paramedic
PLOUGHLIN
pstallwood
Snowy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mirror Protectors Empty Mirror Protectors

Post by Snowy Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:44 pm

I have been trying to obtain mirror protectors for some time having been let down by my dealer. To my delight I found a company that manufacture them in stainless steel and they are very substantial. Only to be let down because they are for pre 2019 models which differs from the new 2019 models. Good news I have arranged to visit the manufacture later this month with our Bourton to see if they are in a position to supply protectors for the same. Will post any updates when available.
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Mirror Protectors Empty Re: Mirror Protectors

Post by pstallwood Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Do you have a link for the company? We have a 2017 Merc.

Thanks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Perhaps need to be mindful these chromed mirror covers are just as advertised 'mirror covers' and not to be mistaken for mirror protectors. Furthermore, the price is actually CHEAPER than the Milenco white plastic covers which IMO are not robust enough to prevent say a smashed offside mirror from a collision with oncoming traffic. I can personally recommend 'Mirror Guards®' because a breakdown van crossed the double white line to smash his mirror against ours. Result, his complete mirror assembly was knocked off whereas ours was saved by our Mirrorguards and just a case of putting it back into position. Collision speed recorded at 44mph via dash cam. He failed to stop but video evidence confirmed he was in the wrong and his insurance company paid resulting damage costs without quibble.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:23 am

There are no Mirror Guards for the Sprinter mirror, SS or ABS are the only option.

The good thing about the MB mirror is that all parts are available separately if breakages occur.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Mirror Protectors Empty Mirror Guards

Post by CJ1949 Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:19 am

I purchased the chrome/silver guards for my new Bourton 
They look nice but I don't think they will offer much in the way of protection -only thin no padding etc
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:31 pm

CJ1949 wrote:I purchased the chrome/silver guards for my new Bourton 
They look nice but I don't think they will offer much in the way of protection -only thin no padding etc
The Stainless Steel ones offer real protection, but at a price.
allthumbz
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks for the link and the comments. A bit too blingy for me. I would have thought there would be a big demand for protectors like the Ducato ones for Sprinters as ther are so many around.

Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Snowy wrote:
The Stainless Steel ones offer real protection, but at a price.
allthumbz

Yes, 1/3rd the price of Mirror Guards

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:11 pm

pstallwood wrote:Thanks for the link and the comments. A bit too blingy for me. I would have thought there would be a big demand for protectors like the Ducato ones for Sprinters as ther are so many around.

Not really "blingy" in practice.

Mirror Protectors P1010410

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:47 pm

I have seen and handled the Stainless ones and they offer real protection. They are not just decretive covers. But not yet available for 2019 Mercedes Sprinter.
allthumbz
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Back to top Go down

Mirror Protectors Empty Mirror Guards

Post by CJ1949 Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:03 am

Snowy wrote:
I have seen and handled the Stainless ones and they offer real protection. They are not just decretive covers. But not yet available for 2019 Mercedes Sprinter.
allthumbz
I have the same silver guards but I not convinced they will provide much, if any protection.
But live in hope!
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:43 am

Snowy wrote:I have seen and handled the Stainless ones and they offer real protection. They are not just decretive covers. But not yet available for 2019 Mercedes Sprinter.
allthumbz
Hmmmm????

I'm not sure about that Snowy.

We have some good plastic protectors (not the thin, unpadded sort) which were put to the test by white bloody van man  censored! in Scotland!!!

All the internals were hanging out on the wires, in various stages of destruction, but there was hardly a mark on the protectors. It was obvious that the force of the impact knocked the innards loose and broke a few bits in the process, in spite of the protector preventing any damage to the mirror body.

My feeling is that they are well worth getting to protect against low speed scrapes and fairly gentle bumps (as ours have done several times) but nothing will protect against a high speed impact!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:13 am

Further to my previous post, BANG!! Sounded like a brick hitting the cab as our mirror slammed against the door. Mirror glass dangling from it's wiring. Stopped in lay by to examine damage. The actual glass was intact but the mirrored surface was crazed, initially giving the impression that the glass was shattered. The indicator part was slightly askew but not broken. With realignment, we continued journey home with a fully functioning mirror. With only the glass needing replacement, surprised that local Peugeot dealer could only effect repair by complete replacement of mirror assembly at a cost £586. No worry for us as other driver's company's insurance picked up the bill. Total cost to them was £967 including damage to offside decals.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Paramedic wrote:surprised that local Peugeot dealer could only effect repair by complete replacement of mirror assembly at a cost £586.

What a crazy world we live in.

Heated mirror glass for a Boxer is less than £10 quid on eBay confused3  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Boxer-Left-Passenger-wing-mirror-glass-2006-2019-door-side-Heated/390621016657
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:01 pm

pstallwood wrote:Thanks for the link and the comments. A bit too blingy for me. I would have thought there would be a big demand for protectors like the Ducato ones for Sprinters as ther are so many around.
These aren't blingy at all (listed as Sprinter 2018 on) also available in black or white...

https://www.kudauk.ltd.uk/product/mercedes-sprinter-2018-on-long-arm-mirrorshield-super-strong-mirror-guard-protector-pair

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Gromit wrote:
Snowy wrote:I have seen and handled the Stainless ones and they offer real protection. They are not just decretive covers. But not yet available for 2019 Mercedes Sprinter.
allthumbz
Hmmmm????

I'm not sure about that Snowy.

We have some good plastic protectors (not the thin, unpadded sort) which were put to the test by white bloody van man  censored! in Scotland!!!

All the internals were hanging out on the wires, in various stages of destruction, but there was hardly a mark on the protectors. It was obvious that the force of the impact knocked the innards loose and broke a few bits in the process, in spite of the protector preventing any damage to the mirror body.

My feeling is that they are well worth getting to protect against low speed scrapes and fairly gentle bumps (as ours have done several times) but nothing will protect against a high speed impact!
The problem we have with a Mercedes based vehicles is there is not the choice. With nothing available in either plastic or stainless steel for 2019 models.
allthumbz
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Paulmold wrote:
These aren't blingy at all (listed as Sprinter 2018 on) also available in black or white...

https://www.kudauk.ltd.uk/product/mercedes-sprinter-2018-on-long-arm-mirrorshield-super-strong-mirror-guard-protector-pair

At £202.80 a pair they ought to be blingy.

Mirror Protectors SprinterMirrorShield2-01

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:56 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Paulmold wrote:

At £202.80 a pair they ought to be blingy.

Mirror Protectors SprinterMirrorShield2-01
Great ordered a pair in white. Up to 6 weeks delivery so a report will follow then. I did have a word with a representative from Mercedes (at the show) who confirmed they should fit (2018 on). It would appear there are new and old revisions (Sprinter) through 2018/19.
allthumbz
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:40 pm

Provided your mirror front has a recess and with indicators, they should fit. On-line photos of current Sprinter show old and new style mirrors, new being smooth on the front face without indicators.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:20 pm

The one thing I carry (just in case)  a pair of  mirrors. .just a few quid on eBay .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by redcar56 Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 am

Paulmold wrote:

Will these fit the 2019 model Mercedes do you know
redcar56
redcar56

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am

redcar56 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:

Snowy has ordered them for his 2019 so he will be able to tell you when they arrive.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Paulmold wrote:
redcar56 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:

Snowy has ordered them for his 2019 so he will be able to tell you when they arrive.
Will do but they are on a 6 week lean time. Maybe it is because I ordered them in White. allthumbz
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Snowy - wondered if you have these now and what you think?  I've got a Winchcombe on the previous model Mercedes and wondered if anyone has found any other suppliers of white mirror protectors since the postings last year?
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next