The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right hand mirror

3 posters

Go down

Right hand mirror Empty Right hand mirror

Post by davidcs Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same experience as I have when I replaced a wing mirror on a Peugeot Boxer motorhome.
After having the wing mirror damaged I replaced it with a full mirror kit off e-bay. Everything went fine, two connectors to re-connect, simple enough to do, indicators work normally outside but, inside the cab the right indicator (the new one) flashes fast and the bulb warning light comes on, i have noticed that the indicator light on the right  is not as bright as the one on the left hand mirror when is flashes. could the bulb size be at fault?
Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Right hand mirror Empty Re: Right hand mirror

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:17 pm

I haven't had the same problem but it sounds as if the left and right hand bulbs are presenting different resistive loads to the vehicle electronics.  If your van has a CAN-bus system (mine does and yours is only a year older) then I imagine this could cause the symptoms you report.  Every electronic device in the vehicle, including bulbs, is monitored by the CAN-bus network and it expects to see resistances of a specified value, otherwise it registers a fault - in this case a bulb warning light.

I recommend you first swap the bulbs in the two mirrors and see if the symptom passes over to the other side.  If it does then you know it is the bulb and not a connector problem.  Secondly, compare the two bulbs and see if there's a difference in appearance or wattage.  The latter should be marked on them, either on the glass or on the metal base.  Assuming there is a difference, source a bulb of the same type as the original one.

It's possible that the replacement mirror you purchased is fitted with an LED bulb, in which case it will certainly be of a lower resistance than a filament bulb.  It is a known problem that CAN-bus systems are sensitive to replacing filament bulbs with LEDs (vehicle bulbs that is, not habitation) and they require additional resistors to be fitted to resolve the issue. In your case I would keep things simple and ensure the two bulbs are the same, i.e. as per the original.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by davidcs Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:21 am

Thank you Tim,

I was thinking along the same lines, that is was the bulb.
My fear is breaking the mirror glass when trying to access the screws to the bulb casing.
I think I will try to put up with it for the time being unless it is a MOT failure issue.

Thank you for your positive advice.
David
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Right hand mirror Empty Re: Right hand mirror

Post by inspiredron Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:56 am

You do not have to remove the mirror glass to replace the bulb. Use the control to move the mirror so that it is looking away from the side of the van as much as possible. That will reveal two tiny Philips headed screws countersunk into the housing. Remove those and the indicator lens and bulb are released. Careful not to lose those tiny screws though.
Another motorhome knocked my lens off on our first trip. One of the screws broke off part of its thread but I was lucky to be able to find a longer screw in my spares tin which made a full repair possible with no sign of any damage,,

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by davidcs Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 am

Thank you Ron,
When we have a fine day! I will have a go at removing the bulb.
This is a learning for me, but, I am willing to try.
Regards David
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down