The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol 2012

+2
Paulmold
Jaymo
6 posters

Go down

Symbol 2012 Empty Symbol 2012

Post by Jaymo Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi we are considering changing to a Symbol but don't like the post 2013 arrangement with the floor being higher in the cab and the fridge higher too.  So are looking at an earlier model.  We're not bothered about a microwave but would like gaslow and a bbq point.  Has anybody fitted these?  Also I notice that they have truma water fill and we much prefer the conventional water filler.  Has anybody done this too?  Thanks.
Jaymo

Female

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2012 Empty Re: Symbol 2012

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Plenty of folk have had the conventional hole in wall water filler fitted. Can't comment on gaslow, doesn't it have underslung tank? I thought they all did after about 2010.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks for your reply.  As far as I can tell there is a gas locker for pre 2013 models.  Ideally we would like a tank to free up the locker for storage if at all possible so wondered if others have done this? As for the water filler is it a case of having to take the van to Willersey or can dealers do this?
Jaymo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Dealers should be able to do it but if you are reasonably close to Willersey or can get there as part of a trip, I'd go to Willersey.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:10 pm

I fitted a Gaslow to my 2011 Symbol ES. It worked well, but was really a waste of time as the heating was diesel and the gas was only for cooking and hot water so consumption was very low. I wouldn't bother again.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 pm

We specifically went for the new layout when we bought ours. I like the raised fridge and also find the raised floor at the front no problem. Because the gas is stored under the floor we also have another space for storage. Ours also has the whale water filling system which we find very efficent and easy to use But its horses for courses and one size doesnt fit all. I hope you find what you are looking for
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:17 pm

Totally endorce and repeat the previous comments. We have a 2014 Symbol and happy with it.
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks for your comments it’s interesting to get others views. Another reason we weren’t keen on the post 2013 models was the beds being too small as singles as we would like that option. Unfortunately both of us are too tall for the 5’8” offside bed. Might have to rethink our options and look at other makes and models.
Jaymo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am

Yes your right about the beds. I just about manage at 5' 7" in the shorter bed. We usually use it as a double. But we chose the  van as it was only 5.5 mtrs long which gave the ability to park in a normal parking space whilst we were away. We dont use it as our every day vehicle but it is very usful being able to park almost any where with it. Of course the down side is storage is slightly less than 6 mtr vans. But when we were deciding on which van to go for we noticed much of the extra space in the 6 mtr vans was taken up by a bigger bathroom. So in the end we opted for the Symbol 2012 model and accepted we would be making up the double bed. No van is perfect so its a case of setting your priorities and getting as many as you can in the one van. From experience we know you won't get everthing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:16 am

Pnefan..... couldn’t have put it better myself. Also don’t find the front floor height a problem at all.
Does sound like the O/P may be better off with a different van/layout as they mentioned.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:29 am

I guess it's a personal aesthetics thing but I much prefer the external looks of the 'old' Symbol with its GRP centre 'pod', somehow the standard metal roofed ones look much more boring to my eye and cassette awnings mounted on top don't look at all integrated. 

Internally the new one wins hands down for me with the much longer nearside bed but Mrs SDA doesn't like the fridge worktop being so high as it's uncomfortable for the shorter cook to work at.

Our current van is 5.2m long, so 8ins shorter than a Symbol, but it has 7ft long single beds, though fiddly to position the front seats for the last extra foot or so. It also doesn't have a shower room, but does have a proper Thetford swivel toilet. It doesn't have an oven, but it does have a 3ft deep, full width 'boot', under a massive kitchen worktop. So less facilities, but much more storage.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down