The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leisure battery issues

+7
JandL
Roopert
Paramedic
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
BartyBoy
Zoechill
11 posters

Go down

Leisure battery issues Empty Leisure battery issues

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi, really hoping someone can help me. Just driven for about 8 hours in my 1998 Peugeot Boxer Harmony, whilst driving I had the fridge switched to the 12V battery. On arrival at campsite (no electric hookup), my leisure battery seems to be not working. My fridge is slightly cold, but water pump and lights not working and can’t get the fridge ignition to click to get the gas lit. I thought that the leisure battery would charge whilst I’m driving. Have I inadvertently flicked a switch somewhere to stop this happening or can anyone suggest any other reasons?
I only picked up the van a few weeks ago from the dealer and it had a full check and is still under their warranty. Unfortunately it didn’t come with any handbooks and most of the gauges don’t seem to work!

Thank you for any help, I’m in for a dark night!
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Leisure battery issues Empty Re: Leisure battery issues

Post by BartyBoy Tue May 07, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi is there a panel on it where you can see the leisure battery voltage ?? if so then you do not want the voltage to be below 12.2V ( with no load on the batteries ) as @12.2V the batteries are 50% empty and this is ideally the lowest that you want them at.
Anyway if you can see your voltage , then see if it rises when you start the MH and it should be getting a charge from the alternator.

Also as for the fridge running on the battery  , it is normal for the fridge to run on battery "ONLY" when the vehicle is being driven , this is just to keep the fridge ticking over.
BartyBoy
BartyBoy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 07, 2019 6:44 pm

If no 12v items working at all, sounds like main fuse under driver's seat blown.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 6:50 pm

BartyBoy wrote:Hi is there a panel on it where you can see the leisure battery voltage ?? if so then you do not want the voltage to be below 12.2V ( with no load on the batteries ) as @12.2V the batteries are 50% empty and this is ideally the lowest that you want them at.
Anyway if you can see your voltage , then see if it rises when you start the MH and it should be getting a charge from the alternator.

Also as for the fridge running on the battery  , it is normal for the fridge to run on battery "ONLY" when the vehicle is being driven , this is just to keep the fridge ticking over.
There doesn’t seem to be any panel that shows the leisure battery voltage!
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Paulmold wrote:If no 12v items working at all, sounds like main fuse under driver's seat blown.
Thanks very much i’ll see if this is the problem.
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2019 7:00 pm

You should be able to find the manual for your MH on the internet. It might help you figure out whats wrong.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue May 07, 2019 7:25 pm

AS have a 1999 Harmony Manual available. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Perhaps BartyBoy has an idea to the problem in that the alternator usually provides 12v to the fridge so by you deliberately switching over to the 12v setting, has effectively isolated the alternator for the duration of the eight hour drive hence a flat leisure battery?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 8:09 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:AS have a 1999 Harmony Manual available. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Brilliant thank you
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Paramedic wrote:Perhaps BartyBoy has an idea to the problem in that the alternator usually provides 12v to the fridge so by you deliberately switching over to the 12v setting, has effectively isolated the alternator for the duration of the eight hour drive hence a flat leisure battery?
Thanks very much, have switched off the 12v setting so will see if battery recharges tomorrow during the drive. Really appreciate your guidance.
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Another query: I have these labelled switches under the sink, but it’s not clear when they are on - no lights come on whichever way I switch them and there’s nothing on the button stating on/off. Firstly, any ideas which way is on - pressed down or up? And when does this need to be switched on? While I’m driving to ensure the battery is charging? Any help greatly appreciated!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue May 07, 2019 9:05 pm

These are both mains switches. They only have any effect when you are on mains hookup - then you will find that the lamps light when the bottom part of the switch is pushed in. They will have no effect while you are driving - unless you are driving while hooked up to the mains!!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoechill Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Roopert wrote:These are both mains switches. They only have any effect when you are on mains hookup - then you will find that the lamps light when the bottom part of the switch is pushed in. They will have no effect while you are driving - unless you are driving while hooked up to the mains!!
Ah right, that makes sense now. Thank you 🙏
Zoechill
Zoechill

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JandL Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Due to age of van, unlikely to have voltage display unless a solar panel fitted. I invested in a voltmeter so I can check both batteries. Usually check before and after a journey.

Does the Zig have a switch for 12v on/off. Check it is in the on position might help.
JandL
JandL

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by vecten Fri May 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Paramedic wrote:Perhaps BartyBoy has an idea to the problem in that the alternator usually provides 12v to the fridge so by you deliberately switching over to the 12v setting, has effectively isolated the alternator for the duration of the eight hour drive hence a flat leisure battery?

I'm pretty sure the alternator does not power the fridge but only charges the two batteries. The fridge is powered by the vehicle battery, which the alternator gives preference to.
vecten
vecten

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 10, 2019 12:43 pm

For the 2000 Harmony, when the engine is running, a relay connects the leisure battery to the starter battery.  The starter battery is permanently connected to the Alternator so the alternator charges both batteries (if no fault).  Again, when the engine is running, another relay connects the joint starter/leisure battery to the fridge 12v input.  If the fridge is switched to the 12v energy source then the fridge will cool when driving, the 15Amps (ish) being supplied by the alternator.

If the leisure battery has been allowed to go flat (in dealer stock say), when the engine is started and the leisure battery connected to the starter battery, the fuse at the positive terminal of the leisure battery will blow because of the large surge of current.

The original symptoms reported indicate, as Paul suggested, that the leisure battery fuse had blown.  That means it won't charge from the engine or supply the habitation electrics when pitched without a hook up but the alternator/starter battery will cool the fridge.

If this is the case, the remedy is to replace the blown fuse and charge the leisure battery from the mains charger before starting the engine.  If the leisure battery has been heavily discharge it may not accept a charge and would need to be replaced.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Thanks for that clear explanation, Peter. I'll file it because no doubt I'll need the information in future.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by BartyBoy Fri May 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Good explanation Peter  up!