The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter drain down

3 posters

Go down

Winter drain down Empty Winter drain down

Post by rich g Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:23 am

I have drained the boiler for the winter,however we are going away next week,should i close the drain pipe and then if there are no signs of frost i can fill it with water when on camp site.

Or should i risk filling the water tank before we leave home ?

confused3  rich
rich g
rich g

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Winter drain down Empty Re: Winter drain down

Post by Cymro Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 am

Depends! If your van has an automatic drain valve, then I'd leave it open and make a suitable reminder note. That's because during your absence the valve might - if left closed - automatically open: when you come to fill, assuming the valve reains closed as you left it, you'd have a shock!

Without an auto drain, I'd leave it closed.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:55 am

I don't think you'll have the auto-drain in a 2009 van, just the yellow flip lever drain.

When you fill with water is your personal choice, I always travel with a full tank as you never can be certain what you will find at the end of your trip (or even if you end up where you intended to go because of accident, breakdown, illness, etc.)

I doing some maintenance on the van in this coming week and am going away in it for the two weeks after that so, after checking the weather forecast, filled it yesterday.

I would not leave it with water at this time of year if I was going to be separated from it as a turn in the weather is always a possibility.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rich g Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Cymro wrote:Depends! If your van has an automatic drain valve, then I'd leave it open and make a suitable reminder note. That's because during your absence the valve might - if left closed - automatically open: when you come to fill, assuming the valve reains closed as you left it, you'd have a shock!

Without an auto drain, I'd leave it closed.
Cymru
Yes it has an auto drain as i found out 2years ago and lost all my water on the way to an event.

So i will leave it open and carry a collapsible water container.

Thank you
rich g
rich g

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down