The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tyre pressures

4 posters

Go down

tyre pressures Empty tyre pressures

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:25 pm

ok,so I ask the guy at my local kwik fit tyre shop what psi should I put in my tyres,after looking at the tyre and asking his mate he said,"i would put about 60 psi in it mate at a guess"  I have the vehicle handbook but that says nothing about pressures,anybody got a 2002 symbol and knows what it should be? confused3
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

tyre pressures Empty Re: tyre pressures

Post by Jenvid Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:55 pm

If you want to be "spot on", take your vehicle to a free public weigh bridge and get a reading of the weight for each axle, with your van loaded as it would be if you are going on a trip.

Then, refer to this leaflet:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The tyre pressures quoted in vehicle handbooks (even if you could find the information) are for the maximum permissible loading. If your vehicle is not loaded to its maximum permissible limits, your tyre pressures will be too high.

For example, with my Ford Transit Duetto, the recommended rear tyre pressure in my owner's handbook is 60psi. However, based on readings from a weigh bridge, and from the table in the link, it is clear that I should only inflate my rear tyres to 45psi: a big difference - and presumably safer handling and more-comfortable ride!

The make and model of a vehicle has no bearing on tyre pressures (the number of axles not withstanding) The correct pressure is entirely related to the actual weight on each axle, the wheel size, and tyre type - but not the make of tyre. (All this is explained in the linked leaflet).
Jenvid
Jenvid

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Transit Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 pm

cheers,thanks for that JENVID
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:36 pm

There is another thread about tyre pressures but our 2003 Symbol had 50 psi front and 45psi back after a weigh bridge visit and email to Continental tyres. Continentals advice if I remember rightly was "47psi front, 43psi back" but I rounded them up and the ride was a lot better. So far not weighed the new van but the 60 psi all round feels a bit bumpy!
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am

Yes my symphony tyres work out at 48psi front, 44psi rear, don't forget the pressure increases as the tyres heat up.
After 18 months mine are wearing evenly and the handling is great.
When I first got the van, pressures were far too high, it felt like it had wooden wheels.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 am

Dont forget the Continental Tyres Data sheets in Factsheets - presume you have looked there
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down