The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GRP repair - colour matching?

4 posters

Go down

GRP repair - colour matching? Empty GRP repair - colour matching?

Post by Doonhamer5 Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Hello, me again (!) - I’m home now so no more trouble after this one...

Yesterday we arrived at my aunt’s in Buckinghamshire and reversed the van into her driveway which had about an inch leeway either side with the gates removed.  Unfortunately the gate pin punched a hole in the side of the van in the GRP.

It’s in the grey section ... do AS have any kits for repair that colour match?  Many years ago I was used to doing this type of repair on sailing dinghies, but it has been a very long time, and I was usually able to get to the rear side of the repair.  

Anybody got recent experience of/advice for this type of repair?

GRP repair - colour matching? Fa182210
Doonhamer5
Doonhamer5
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

GRP repair - colour matching? Empty Re: GRP repair - colour matching?

Post by groundhog Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm

I would give the following a try. Make a very small slot in the undamaged part just above the hole, big enough for a hook of some sort or even a strong piece of bent wire. Put as much Araldite around the edge of the hole inside that you can and on the edge of the damaged part then pull it out until it is nearly flush and making a good watertight bond all round. When it is solid skim over with a quality filler and flatten off.

Most car body shops should have a paint mixer they could match the colour exactly and smile sweetly they may mix you up some paint for not too much. Ideally of course you want to spray it but brush painted with a lot of patience and smoothing down you can get a pretty good finish. Laquer the finished job afterwards. It may also be that the grey part is just a wrap in which case any graphic company should be able to supply a small patch if A/S can't. I don't know if it is a painted finish or wrap.

Cost very little so if it really doesn't work you have lost nothing.

Just a suggestion up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I would use marine  epoxy gell coat  filler,  as it is waterproof and flats to a very  smooth finish , car filler is not waterproof  and absorbs water over time . can't advise on A S  silver  .it is scratch resistant coating ? .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Doonhamer5 Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks both.  I’m more concerned with making it watertight than perfect-looking.  Marine epoxy/gel coat filler is what I’m familiar with so will go with that.  Using wire to pull it out to prepare it sounds like a good idea.
Doonhamer5
Doonhamer5
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyT Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm

I caught a roof verge with the luton on my Broadway and lightly scractched the GRP but through the Gel coat.

A friend of mine filled it with very fine isopon and then flattenned it off. I took the Broadway to a car body sprayer who suggested I get a decal made to cover the filled scratch. That I did and had a matching decal made for the other side.

I blends quite well and is totally weatherproof and all done for £40 was a result.
I just require a new aerial that was also damaged. If anyone has ideas regarding sourcing this let me know.

JT

Here's a link to to a photo of the roof

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiJ8-D6xMN14nVyBHi_CladhCwKr
JohnnyT
JohnnyT
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Doonhamer5 Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Sounds & looks good!  Sorry I can’t help with the aerial.
Doonhamer5
Doonhamer5
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down