The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duvalay question re heater

+6
harrysp
roli
Cymro
Paulmold
merv
Spospe
10 posters

Go down

Duvalay question re heater Empty Duvalay question re heater

Post by Spospe Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:43 pm

We are thinking of getting Duvalays for our Warwick Duo. Our concern is about the possibility of the Duvalay on the offside (the driver's side) hanging down and blocking the Truma heater outlets. Our 'van has the 6E heater and there are two outlets on the offside, so my question is, do we have a problem or not?

The nearside is not an issue, it's just the offside that is of concern and unfortunately we have not seen a Duvalay in the flesh and also have not seen detailed pictures of them in action to know how much of an issue it is. Can someone please confirm the problem, or even better, put our minds at ease and say that it's not an issue?
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Duvalay question re heater Empty Re: Duvalay question re heater

Post by merv Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Our van is not the same but I assume that you pull the bed forwards slightly into the aisle; that is what I do, with the backrest dropping into the gap created at the back.  The heater outlet is in the bed base which doesn't move forward and therefore there should be a gap between the heater outlet and the overhanging duvet part of the duvalay.
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:09 pm

We have the same layout and use Duvalays but we don't leave the heating on overnight. Instead we use a small oil-filled radiator placed in front of the cooker (we only use sites with hookup over the winter months.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the help so far.

merv

The bed does not move at all when used as a single.

Paulmold

We need to be able to use the 'van without needing to connect to mains.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Spospe wrote:

Paulmold

We need to be able to use the 'van without needing to connect to mains.
You could close the vent under the bed and leave the one up by the cab open and the washroom vent and leave washroom door open so heat can come into lounge area. We only have one outlet under offside bed perhaps yours is different.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Paulmold, thanks for the feedback.

Our 'van has the 6E Truma heater which has two outlets under the bed (one above the other).

As you suggest, we could try using the outlet at the front by the driver's seat and the one in the toilet room. However, I was hoping that someone with a Duvalay and Truma 6E could comment on just how much of a blocking effect there is. I have read several posts on different forums recently, where the problems caused by the heater overheating and blowing fuses have been mentioned. As we go away for 8 weeks at a time, we want to maintain reliable operation throughout (off to arctic Norway again in May).
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

The overheating problems is the reason we have never used that vent with the Duvalays hanging over it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks Paul. I would still like to hear from anyone who has used Duvalays in a Warwick Duo and what, if any problems they had when using the Truma heater.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:24 pm

I don't have the same heater outlet location, so I cannot offer direct experience. But I'd be surprised if a Duvalay would present a problem. That's because the Duvalay has one closed lengthways side, and one which is open (out of which you can stretch a leg). So if you sleep with the open side to the side of the van, and the closed side to the aisle (above the heater vents) the DUvalay is unlikely to change down into the aisle so as to block the vent.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Good point Cymro, I was assuming that the open side had to be facing the aisle. If the units are fully reversible, then no problem.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Spospe wrote:If the units are fully reversible, then no problem.

Believe me, the first time you'll put on the cover, you'll think that a Rubik's Cube is a doddle! The cover is one joined-up piece, with one part (longer) unzipping to take the mattress, and the other part (shorter and double width so as to wrap around you) taking the duvet. It's possible to have the 2 zips on the right or left side of the sleeper; so for use on the offside bed, and to avoid blocking the heater vents, you'll want the zips on your right (assuming sleeper's head will be to rear of van).

A bit like describing in a written essay how to tie a necktie!

In our case, we each have one; we want one zipped to the sleeper's left, and the other to the other sleeper's right. We now change the cover like this:
In the house, lie the used Duvalay on a double bed or on a carpet; study where the zips are; lie the clean cover alondside, in the same configuration; remove mattress from used, and put it into the clean; likewise for the duvet. Sounds bonkers, but it avoids aggravation, unless (unlike me) you can think in 3D!

We like them!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:05 pm

Liz uses a Duvalay on the offside bench, she pulls it out just a bit and there is a gap between the hanging Duvalay and the seat and we haven’t had any problems.   If the van is on mains and it’s cold we will have the heating on overnight.
roli
roli

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:35 am

Our van is different, but as Roli says, do your beds not pull out a little in single bed form, therefore narrowing the middle aisle and leaving a gap between the overhanging Duvulay and the heating vents. We pull the beds out and slot the backrest cushions into the gap next to the van wall. This has the added benefit of making it warmer sleeping away from the sides.

On another point, I think I read somewhere that the Truma 6 instructions advise not closing the vents. Or did I imagine this.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:45 am

You are not imagining it Harry most system tell you not to close all the vents, you could always leave the bathroom one open or in the case of a Warwick the front vent near the cab
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks to all, especially Cymro for the instructions. I am now happy that Duvalays are for us and will not cause a problem with the heater.

Best wishes to all for The New Year.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm hoping this is on thread, and apologies in advance if not smile!

I use a Duvalay (I absolutely love it) and I sleep on the offside.  I prefer the opening to be into the van, so it does hang down and would normally block the vent; the layout is exactly the same as the Warwick Duo.  I can't see how I could have the opening and the extra material against the side of the van, as there is quite a bit of overhang.  If it was folded under the duvalay that turns it into a sleeping bag, if it was folded over the duvalay that would be too hot, and if it was crumpled up against the side of the van it might be uncomfortable.

So here's a couple of quick questions......

1) When making the bed up, I normally move the back rest cushion either onto the floor or up towards the cab.  It never occurred to me to pull the seat base out and let the back rest drop down.  Is there enough support from the base on the Warwick/Sussex to do this and still sleep comfortably?  If so , it would make an already super quick bed make up even quicker and easier.  There are fill in cushions underneath the back rest, so these would still have to be moved obviously.

2) I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but is it 'safe' to leave the heater on all night.  By safe I mean firstly fumes, and secondly wearing out the heating by prolonged continuous use.

Many thanks
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Sally wrote:I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but is it 'safe' to leave the heater on all night.  By safe I mean firstly fumes, and secondly wearing out the heating by prolonged continuous use.
Hi Sally

If you are on hook up there won't be any fumes, and yes, we have always left ours on all night when it's very cold.

If you are off hook up fumes will still be no problem, but your habitation battery may not last long if the fan is running all night, and possibly all day as well if it's weather like today.  cold

Hope this is useful.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Gromit wrote:
Sally wrote:I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but is it 'safe' to leave the heater on all night.  By safe I mean firstly fumes, and secondly wearing out the heating by prolonged continuous use.
Hi Sally

If you are on hook up there won't be any fumes, and yes, we have always left ours on all night when it's very cold.

If you are off hook up fumes will still be no problem, but your habitation battery may not last long if the fan is running all night, and possibly all day as well if it's weather like today.  cold

Hope this is useful.
Hi Dave - yes that’s very useful thank you. I find that sometimes it needs someone to say the obvious; it helps to clarify things.

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Sally

We always run the heater 24/7, so as to maintain an even temperature in the 'van. I have a relatively mild heart condition, but it makes me feel the cold, hence the need for heat (who likes getting up in the night in a freezing cold 'van?).

On the subject of pulling out the bed base, there might be a risk of the cushions moving and you falling down the gap (I have never tried this, so don't know for sure). Perhaps you could experiment and let us know?
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Sally if on hookup and worried about wear on the heating system buy a small electric oil filled radiator. These can generally be left on safely all night and stop the van getting too cold. No fumes no fuss and little expense.
      Ours came with a 3 year warranty, cost about £16 from memory and is a lot cheaper to replace than the fixed heater. In the morning it is a simple task to switch on the main heating to a comfortable level before rising.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:00 pm

kaspian wrote:Hi Sally if on hookup and worried about wear on the heating system buy a small electric oil filled radiator. These can generally be left on safely all night and stop the van getting too cold. No fumes no fuss and little expense.
      Ours came with a 3 year warranty, cost about £16 from memory and is a lot cheaper to replace than the fixed heater. In the morning it is a simple task to switch on the main heating to a comfortable level before rising.
Exactly what we just did over New Year.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:17 pm

And what we are doing now after our 5 days over new year without ehu.  The cats love it, one each side.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down