The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External aerial feed

+8
RogerThat
inspiredron
Bulletguy
Mel C
kaspian
Peter Brown
Paulmold
Tonyg1956
12 posters

Go down

External aerial feed Empty External aerial feed

Post by Tonyg1956 Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:13 pm

The second issue that I have with my 2017 Kingham is if I connect an external aerial cable to the van the lounge TV point does not pick up the signal but the bedroom one does so I have to run a patch cable around the top of the fridge to the lounge to run the TV. 

Again a similar van has the same issue. The dealer says there is nothing wrong.
Tonyg1956
Tonyg1956

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

External aerial feed Empty Re: External aerial feed

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Some vans are wired from the outside point to the satellite connection inside, try a type F connector converter to coaxial . That's what works in my van.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyg1956 Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Have tried this in all combinations already.
Tonyg1956
Tonyg1956

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Below is the diagram from your handbook.  It shows both the output of the aerial amplifier and the external aerial connection point connected via the internal wiring to both TV points.

Does the signal from the fitted aerial feed both outlets?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyg1956 Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks very much Peter,

I have seen this diagram.

Believe me that I have (and the other Kingham ownertoo) have tried all options. There is only a signal to the bedroom point.

It could be, I think, because when I ordered the van I had a Status 570 aerial fitted as the Auto-Sleeper fitted omnidirectional aerial is purported to be hit and miss.

Thanks again for the response.
Tonyg1956
Tonyg1956

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Changing the aerial was a good choice, who did it?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Peter, that diagram is how vans should be wired in A/s fantasy land but unfortunately A/s do not follow their own diagram. I traced all cabling using a tone generator and the external tv socket went to an internal sat connector . The external  sat socket was traced to behind the other tv socket where it was coiled up having made no attempt to connect it to anything! 
    I have posted the full results of the routing of A/v  cables before and spoke to A/s who admitted their service dept see a lot of this and knew all about it. When I asked why they never passed this back to the shop floor to rectify in future they had no answer! 
        Suppose it keeps them in a job and unfortunate owners disgruntled....Cant believe it is still happening ( vorsprung durch technic! - not) Also whoever makes off the connectors has no clue how to do it as the screen wiring was shorting out to inner signal/core within every plug in my van and there are a good  few hidden behind panels  forming tee pieces etc
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel C Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 pm

We had exactly same problem with our 2017 Kingham, only one tv aerial socket was connected up.
Was quickly rectified by AS when we returned van to Willersley for other warranty work.
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:59 am

kaspian wrote:Peter, that diagram is how vans should be wired in A/s fantasy land but unfortunately A/s do not follow their own diagram. I traced all cabling using a tone generator and the external tv socket went to an internal sat connector . The external  sat socket was traced to behind the other tv socket where it was coiled up having made no attempt to connect it to anything! 

I have posted the full results of the routing of A/v  cables before and spoke to A/s who admitted their service dept see a lot of this and knew all about it. When I asked why they never passed this back to the shop floor to rectify in future they had no answer! 

Suppose it keeps them in a job and unfortunate owners disgruntled....Cant believe it is still happening ( vorsprung durch technic! - not) Also whoever makes off the connectors has no clue how to do it as the screen wiring was shorting out to inner signal/core within every plug in my van and there are a good  few hidden behind panels  forming tee pieces etc
Your post reflects everything about whats so appallingly shocking with new build vans. I mean fgs the bit's i've highlighted are really basic stuff which anyone would be capable of and it's not even in the "unskilled" bracket! This isn't just bad....it's totally unacceptable. Shoddy poor quality work and people are paying £50k for these vans.

Are they using 16 year old minimum wage workers with zero training to knock these vans out or what?  shrugg
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:49 pm

I cannot comment on the poor connection problems but I imagine that connecting the outside coax to the threaded F-connection inside is to avoid it going through the aerial amplifier.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:18 am

@Tony is it worth popping the cover off the internal connector and just making sure that both sockets are actually connected?!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:03 pm

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would add my experience.
My symbol manual has the same wiring diagram as posted by Peter.
Obviously the second connection point does not apply to a Symbol.
On my first trip to a Caravan and Motorhome Club site I tried to use the aerial point on the service post but there was avery poor signal.
I discovered my 2017 Symbol's external TV point is not connected at all and the roof fitted aerial is pretty poor.
I now use an external directional aerial which can also be rotated for correct polarisation giving by far a better signal than the roof aerial ever could, and far more channels that CMHC provide.
To get round the lack of external TV connector I have put an F type connector on my external TV aerial and connect it to the external satellite point. When using my external aerial I  change the TV aerial wire over to the satellite connector using an aerial to F type adapter.
I am now thinking about purchasing an aerial booster for my external aerial, which is annoying because there is already one fitted in the wardrobe which the external point should have been connected to.
When you see your van in the showroom with an external and internal TV and satellite connections you expect them to be connected and the wiring diagram in the manual to be correct.
A bit like when you see speakers in the habitation area, you don't expect to have to get up every 20 minutes to turn the radio back on. 

tap_fingers

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Baggiecamper wrote:A bit like when you see speakers in the habitation area, you don't expect to have to get up every 20 minutes to turn the radio back on. 

tap_fingers

Amen to that!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Baggiecamper wrote:
A bit like when you see speakers in the habitation area, you don't expect to have to get up every 20 minutes to turn the radio back on. 
or when you see roof bars and expect to be able to put a load on them biggrin

who's next? hugegrins
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Baggiecamper (Richard), we have PM’d each other recently regarding bike racks etc.. as we have the same van.
Maybe you have a fault somewhere as my reception with the aerial fitted on top of the Symbol roof has been superb and given lots of channels as long as the booster is switched on.
David
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Dbvwt wrote:.......... as we have the same van.
Maybe you have a fault somewhere as my reception with the aerial fitted on top of the Symbol roof has been superb and given lots of channels as long as the booster is switched on.
David
It is possible I have a poor connection. There have been sites where the roof aerial was adequate. I have read criticism of the roof aerial AS use and the booster is not highly rated either. An all rounder aerial with no control over polarisation is never going to compete with a conventional aerial aligned correctly.
My main point was that the external aerial connection is not connected and how to get round the problem on sites that have TV available at the service post.
I actually much prefer using satellite. I visit a site in North Wales about three times a year that is impossible to get a TV signal with an aerial. I attach my outside aerial or satellite dish to the bike rack, with the option of a stake in the ground.
One day I will post some information on my  way of doing this. A standard Sky dish can be modified to occupy very little space and is much cheaper.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Baggiecamper wrote:
or when you see roof bars and expect to be able to put a load on them biggrin

who's next? hugegrins
Fly screens on windows that don’t open  snigger
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford

Back to top Go down