The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer in warwick xl

+9
Peter Brown
Paulmold
Gromit
Dbvwt
Mindhyg
Kemerton-bath
Dave 418
Tinwheeler
Kdc
13 posters

Go down

Summer in warwick xl Empty Summer in warwick xl

Post by Kdc Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:25 pm

intrested to hear how owners have found summer temps in models with bonded windows.When deciding to go for one came to the opinion that daytimes I have the option of a mirad of opening doors,at night time have ample roof vents,probably wouldnt leave windows open even if they did. Cannot see any discussions on this so am i correct to assume the only issue is with owners of other makes without them?
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Summer in warwick xl Empty Re: Summer in warwick xl

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:13 pm

As you know there were some very hot days this summer and I can’t pretend that not being able to open the windows wasn't a drawback. However, being able to open cab doors, the sliding door and the rear doors, as well as roof vents, gave us good airflow. I’d recommend carrying an electric fan if you have room.

It was more of an issue having the sun beating in through the open sliding door space and overheating the fridge (it probably won’t happen with the XL) but, overall, we prefer these windows to the acryllic opening type.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:37 pm

We now keep a small desk fan in our Rienza. Last summer we spent longer on sites than usual and even with the windows and door open it was uncomfortable without the fan. Fortunately we have plenty of room to keep it in the locker all year.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 pm

We were in Germany this summer and temperatures inside the van hit the high 30’s during the daytime. We were out and about most days but during the night felt secure enough on sites to open the side windows and get enough through-draft to be comfortable enough to sleep.  We don’t find the athermic windows a problem in terms of heat and much prefer the clean look they give to the van.  We do however keep the blinds cracked open slightly if we’re out for the day, to allow heat to escape from the glass windows.

The fridge was a different story and struggled until the temperatures got below its operating maximum of 32C.  It doesn’t help that the Kemerton’s layout causes the side door to block the fridge vents when fully open.  I plan to follow the lead taken by others on here and install a fan in the fridge housing to improve air circulation over the fins.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Why isn't anyone using the heating system cooling fans to cool their van in summer when on EHU. That's what they are there for. The fans don't only push out hot air through the vents in winter, they also push out a good measure of cool air in summer. On balance and within reason at night I have found this works well enough.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:18 am

I realise that the wording in the manual is probably to cover themselves but it states using the cooling fan  ‘can lead to additional motor wear depending on frequency of use’.

Anyone have experience of long term use as I had decided not to use the fan in summer despite it’s obvious benefit as mentioned by Mindhyg.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am

Mindhyg wrote:Why isn't anyone using the heating system cooling fans to cool their van in summer when on EHU. That's what they are there for. The fans don't only push out hot air through the vents in winter, they also push out a good measure of cool air in summer. On balance and within reason at night I have found this works well enough.
We tried it, but found it made no difference at all to the internal temperature, as it does nothing more than move around air at the ambient temperature. It's not a very powerful fan either, so the air movement was hardly noticeable - if at all.

Different van I know, but I can't think there would be a lot of variation.

A friend bought a cooler last year that worked by evaporating water on a filter matrix. It wasn't this one, but it works on the same principle.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They were pleased and said it was very effective, but I doubt if it was 12 volt or it would cane the battery.

Hope this is useful.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 am

Homebase were selling these...

At £1 so I thought for £1 I couldn't refuse. Plug into usb socket. Brilliant - as long as I sit two inches away.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:19 am

Gromit wrote:

A friend bought a cooler last year that worked by evaporating water on a filter matrix. It wasn't this one, but it works on the same principle.

They were pleased and said it was very effective, but I doubt if it was 12 volt or it would cane the battery.

Hope this is useful.

We borrowed a similar unit to use one night this summer. When next to it, the evaporation process on your skin makes you feel cooler but overnight it made no difference to the temperature in the van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:42 am

Peter Brown wrote:
Gromit wrote:

Hope this is useful.

We borrowed a similar unit to use one night this summer.  When next to it, the evaporation process on your skin makes you feel cooler but overnight it made no difference to the temperature in the van.
I'm not surprised Peter. I did wonder if the actual reduction in temperature in the van was more illusory than real. (That's the crucial factor.)

Cooling the van by a certain number of degrees takes just as much energy as heating it by the same amount . . . broadly speaking.

You don't get something for nothing with these gadgets. The laws of physics have to be obeyed.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 pm

we have this function and I have used it a couple of times...

AFAIK, the 'vent' function (cool air) is only available on the later models with the CP plus control panel.

in order for it to work, both heating and hot water must be set to off.
only in this instance is the 'vent' menu option visible.
the fan speed (from memory) can be set at levels 1-10 and should provide a decent 'draught'....although the air is not 'chilled' in any way.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Summer in warwick xl Empty No problem with windows

Post by GCCrow Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi, We've had an XL since May 2014 and have used it in mid 30s temps a few times and roof lights and doors provided more than adequate cooling ..
would agree about adding a fridge fan,we had problems in hi temperatures until we had one fitted and it's never an issue now- well worth the outlay.
GCCrow
GCCrow

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Has anyone had a problem with leaving roof lights open with the concertina blinds closed?

Every time you open a door and forget the blinds, they try and exit the van via the roof vents, then you spend the next 1/2 hour getting them back in the runners!
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm

I think the diagrams around the roof light show that you shouldn't close the blinds more than half way with the vent open.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm

rgermain wrote:Has anyone had a problem with leaving roof lights open with the concertina blinds closed?

Every time you open a door and forget the blinds, they try and exit the van via the roof vents, then you spend the next 1/2 hour getting them back in the runners!
Richard

No but, being well aware that what you found will happen, I never fully close the blind with the roof light open. 75% closed max and if I'm still getting blinded, I move.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm

rgermain wrote:Has anyone had a problem with leaving roof lights open with the concertina blinds closed?

So it's not just me then.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Yes, no doubt.
I have learned to leave the blinds open a little, around 75% closed before opening the vent.
I can get them back in the runners in 5 minutes after a doing this a few times.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Thank you all for the comments. Now why didn't "we" think of leaving a gap.

Also pleased to read in a very kind way, we are not the only ones to have this happen and I must say not just the once, but maybe no more!
Cheers
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down