The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sprinter first vehicle service

+9
groundhog
mikethebike
Pete Taylor
rgermain
PLOUGHLIN
Liam
Peter Brown
Paulmold
Dare-devil-dennis
13 posters

Go down

Sprinter first vehicle service Empty Sprinter first vehicle service

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 am

Hi

My Stanton is exactly 12 months old this week. Only 3000 miles

When I moved it this morning, the dash display says "Service A due in 29 days".

For some reason, I thought the first service on a Mercedes Sprinter was due 2 years from (actually when?) first registration? date of supply to coach-builder? Some other date? in 29 days, the motorhome will be 13 months old.

The service booklet in the drivers pack is unintelligible.

I have sent an email to Mark Burdett and I am awaiting a return call from Mertrux in Derby for advice, but I thought one of you might know.

Thanks

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Sprinter first vehicle service Empty Re: Sprinter first vehicle service

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 am

Is this the same problem that lots of Peugeot have that have been reported on here?. With those it dates from manufacture so if sitting around before conversion this obviously takes off the number of days between oil change

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t25079-change-engine-oil-warning

Last edited by Paulmold on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am

I contacted MB when my van was about the same age yours as mine predicted first service in about 5 years.

They advised that the priority parameter is mileage but the oil condition and time from last service are also considered. I'd done about 5000 miles and sure enough a few months later it decided it needed a service at 7000 miles. Oil Service cost £200 by MB in 2013.

Many have has similar experiences to you when there is a long time between chassis manufacture and conversion delivery. If you have it serviced and the monitor rest now, you will get into the MB natural cycle but beware MB servicing is poor, my wheels were never off in the 5 years that they serviced the van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am

But your vehicle could have come of the Stuttgart production line 12 month previous to you taking delivery - in which case the 2 years service would be due now! 
A quick check with your local MB Commercial dealer and they will be able to tell you when the service clock started. So far my van's service clock seems to have followed a logical and sensible prompting profile - but maybe later models of the Sprinter are programmed to follow a tighter/stricter service schedule.
As you are no doubt aware service dates are driven by a combination of modern technology, software operating under a very clever algorithm and of course the manufacturer erring on the side of caution. All of which results in the customer been required to conform to the service prompt or face the prospect of invalidating their vehicle warranty. 
In some ways you cannot blame the manufacturer as "white van" man will not necessarily treat or drive their vehicles the same as we M/H owners do.
I find that a sensible discussion with the MB service department in the first instance will result in a reasonable and logical service on the vehicle without the vehicle warranty been compromised.
I agree with Peter regarding the non wheels removal - that's is why I always have a deep and meaningful discussion with the service manager prior to the service.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm

If you put your VIN into this it will give you your build data, including date of manufacture. https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes
Using the menu buttons on your dash, you can zero the service light.

https://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/files/en/manuals/2014_Mercedes_Benz_Sprinter_Service_Reminder_Reset.pdf

Last edited by PLOUGHLIN on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks Guys (other genders welcome smile!)

Mark was also under the impression that the first service came at 2 yrs, but asked me to talk to Mercedes.

Liam, you were correct. I went round to Mertrux Derby and had a good discussion with the very helpful Service Manager.

He affirms that the service clock starts running on the build date. In my case, that was 1st Feb 2017. That mostly explains the issue. The motorhome is now booked in for its first A service at the end of January 2019

£232.13 - Inflation eh!

The Service Manager said that the message display would not matter if it over-runs in this instance as far as the warranty is concerned as long as I do not exceed the max mileage or pass the 2nd anniversary of the build date. He could not explain the 29 days message.

The Warranty starts from the date of first registration, In my case, 15th Nov 2015 - HEY it is its birthday, I'll go and have a Jack Daniels with it later!

A worthwhile trip to the dealer, who printed out a copy of the Mercedes production build sheet with all the options. I already had one from the Russian website, but who can say 100% it is accurate. Now I have the Mercedes one. 

Peter, thanks for the heads-up on wheel inspections. I will put some subtle tamper evident tape over the wheel nuts.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm

I got the 29 days in Scotland at the beginning of September. It counted down to 0 and the started to increase with a minus in front till I got it serviced 3rd October.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

I never had the above problems. My van was brand new but had been imported some 12 months earlier, I suppose it sat in the docks in Bristol, then at A/S for 6 months being fitted out, who knows where these van go.

Peugeot main dealer called me to say service due at 24 months (7500mls) no warning on dash just a phone call. I also asked about the 3 year warranty, was told starts for date I bought it, not import or production date.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Interesting stuff (apart from the Peugeot red herrings  smile! ).
Our Stanton base unit was built in July 2014 and Delivered to us on 1st December 2014. The Service A indicator came on at the beginning of April 2016 (16 months approx.) and it was serviced on 9th April with 11288 miles showing. Price of Service A- £190. I queried with the Service manager if this was early and he said the two years bit was "only a guide" and that heavily-used vans were coming in at around a year from new, when the indicator came on.

10k miles later the Service B indicator was on and it went in on 11 December 2017, mileage 21474. They also dropped the bombshell that the auto gearbox needed a service but they "hadn't got the special oil" so could I bring it back at my (in)convenience? They also changed the brake fluid! Price of Service B- £363, price of gearbox service and brake fluid- £229.

They printed off a "Digital Service Report, which predicts next service a in November 2018(!) with a mileage of 42948. Well, It's November now and our actual mileage is a shade over 30k. Service indicator is not on...yet.

This is a rich-man's hobby!

I've just lifted this from the M-B website, it refers to pre 2018 model Sprinters:

Sprinter first vehicle service Icon6-c8a9a5b7a7d9a4f8c7290f356cf3d630 Service A
Sprinter first vehicle service Icon7-c202ed8c4067c9c4bbcd8a790ab77104 Service B

The first ever visit for a Service A is normally required up to 37,500 miles or 2pre years * as determined by the Flexible Service System.Subsequent visits are normally required up to every 37,500 miles or 2 years.
The first ever visit for a Service B is normally required up to 75,000 miles or 2 years * as determined by the Flexible Service System.Subsequent visits are normally required up to every 37,500 miles or 2 years.
* FSS measures variables like oil quantity & quality, engine load, temperature and speed to determine the optimum time to service the vehicle.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I contacted MB when my van was about the same age yours as mine predicted first service in about 5 years.  

They advised that the priority parameter is mileage but the oil condition and time from last service are also considered.  I'd done about 5000 miles and sure enough a few months later it decided it needed a service at 7000 miles. Oil Service cost £200 by MB in 2013.

Many have has similar experiences to you when there is a long time between chassis manufacture and conversion delivery.  If you have it serviced and the monitor rest now, you will get into the MB natural cycle but beware MB servicing is poor, my wheels were never off in the 5 years that they serviced the van.
As i understand it they only check the brakes visually.No need to remove wheels to do this.
Not in my experience since the eightees.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:Interesting stuff (apart from the Peugeot red herrings  smile! ).
Our Stanton base unit was built in July 2014 and Delivered to us on 1st December 2014. The Service A indicator came on at the beginning of April 2016 (16 months approx.) and it was serviced on 9th April with 11288 miles showing. Price of Service A- £190. I queried with the Service manager if this was early and he said the two years bit was "only a guide" and that heavily-used vans were coming in at around a year from new, when the indicator came on.

10k miles later the Service B indicator was on and it went in on 11 December 2017, mileage 21474. They also dropped the bombshell that the auto gearbox needed a service but they "hadn't got the special oil" so could I bring it back at my (in)convenience? They also changed the brake fluid! Price of Service B- £363, price of gearbox service and brake fluid- £229.

They printed off a "Digital Service Report, which predicts next service a in November 2018(!) with a mileage of 42948. Well, It's November now and our actual mileage is a shade over 30k. Service indicator is not on...yet.

This is a rich-man's hobby!

I've just lifted this from the M-B website, it refers to pre 2018 model Sprinters:

Sprinter first vehicle service Icon6-c8a9a5b7a7d9a4f8c7290f356cf3d630 Service A
Sprinter first vehicle service Icon7-c202ed8c4067c9c4bbcd8a790ab77104 Service B

The first ever visit for a Service A is normally required up to 37,500 miles or 2pre years * as determined by the Flexible Service System.Subsequent visits are normally required up to every 37,500 miles or 2 years.
The first ever visit for a Service B is normally required up to 75,000 miles or 2 years * as determined by the Flexible Service System.Subsequent visits are normally required up to every 37,500 miles or 2 years.
* FSS measures variables like oil quantity & quality, engine load, temperature and speed to determine the optimum time to service the vehicle.
Don't know why I bother to comment
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 am

mikethebike wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:I contacted MB when my van was about the same age yours as mine predicted first service in about 5 years.  

They advised that the priority parameter is mileage but the oil condition and time from last service are also considered.  I'd done about 5000 miles and sure enough a few months later it decided it needed a service at 7000 miles. Oil Service cost £200 by MB in 2013.

Many have has similar experiences to you when there is a long time between chassis manufacture and conversion delivery.  If you have it serviced and the monitor rest now, you will get into the MB natural cycle but beware MB servicing is poor, my wheels were never off in the 5 years that they serviced the van.
As i understand it they only check the brakes visually.No need to remove wheels to do this.
Not in my experience since the eightees.

Micky

You can't see inside the handbrake drum without removing the wheels so when, after 5 years, the debris causes the shoes to seize, rubbing against the drum, overheating the wheel and forcing recovery from a German motorway I find that level of service unacceptable and now use someone who does remove the wheels and check every year.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 am

Sorry your local Mercedes dealer is not doing the job properly Peter, ours is outstanding MB of Truro. Also found Rossetts of Crawley excellent for anyone in that part of the World.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Sprinter first vehicle service Empty mercedes service

Post by CJ1949 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:37 pm

When my Winchcombe had done just over 4000 miles and under 2 years old the screen message called for 1st service.

Took it to main Mercedes Commercial dealer in Gloucester who did the service but also said the automatic gearbox oil also needed to be changed otherwise it invalidates the warranty. 
Came away around £550 poorer!
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I guess the gearbox oil became an issue with the 7 speed auto as its never been change on my 5 speed.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Every time I take my van in for service I ask if the wheels will be removed .the short answer is no . so the first time they are removed is for tyres .at xxxxx miles .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
You can't see inside the handbrake drum without removing the wheels so when, after 5 years, the debris causes the shoes to seize, rubbing against the drum, overheating the wheel and forcing recovery from a German motorway I find that level of service unacceptable and now use someone who does remove the wheels and check every year.
Thanks, Peter, for the reminder about the drum! I'll ask them to check those next time it is in. 

It seems that the oil-change on the 7-speed auto is a function of time, rather than mileage, that's what M-B told me, that concurs with CJ1949's experience.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:10 pm

As Peter said, and had before,but i had forgotten.MB do not remove the wheels. I expect mine have been OK as i never use the handbrake. up!

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:51 pm

I had to have my gearbox oil changed at the first service as well - ouch!

I have run 5 Mercedes cars for various lengths of time up to 5 years and never had the gearbox oil changed. The previous Merc car had the 7 speed gear box. I have also had a couple of BMW autos, one for 8 years, and currently have a Mini auto as a second car all have never had the gearbox oil changed.

I do find it a bit strange that the van had to have the oil changed on this occasion.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:05 pm

MB service schedule has Gearbox oil/filter change at first B (maintenance) service (two spanner symbol), and then at every 80,000m after.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by naki585 Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 am

Hi.
Last service at 20,000 miles they changed transmission oil and filter, engine oil and filter and fuel filter. They said that the transmission oil would now on ok till 80,0000 miles. Expensive at $1600 NZ dollars.

Cheers
naki585

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Burford

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Our mercedes car is due a B3 service, published cost £500 plus, I told MB that I was not paying that amount as the car is nine years old although it has less than 30K on the clock, so just not worth it to preserve the Mercedes service history.

For vehicles over 7 years old MB have a standard "all model" service, oil, filters etc that is charged at £195 preserving the MB history ... they don't tell you that of course until you are off elsewhere.  If you look at what a B3 includes 90% of it is mundane things like check operation of sunroof!

I wonder if that is the same for the Sprinter?

Last edited by groundhog on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rambling again!)
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks for this tip off

I have a 5 yr old E class (40k miles) and a service plan. Guess in a couple of years I will be asking for this option. 

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm

groundhog wrote:Our mercedes car is due a B3 service, published cost £500 plus, I told MB that I was not paying that amount as the car is nine years old although it has less than 30K on the clock, so just not worth it to preserve the Mercedes service history.

For vehicles over 7 years old MB have a standard "all model" service, oil, filters etc that is charged at £195 preserving the MB history ... they don't tell you that of course until you are off elsewhere.  If you look at what a B3 includes 90% of it is mundane things like check operation of sunroof!

I wonder if that is the same for the Sprinter?

Works on Ford cars as well at the main dealer £125 all in.

Don't ask you don't get. up!
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down