The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dometic Fridge Door Catch

4 posters

Go down

Dometic Fridge Door Catch Empty Dometic Fridge Door Catch

Post by maricardo Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm

I have a 5 year old Sussex Duo fitted with a Dometic 230v/12v/gas fridge-freezer. The door catch on the top left hand side of the door is not positive as it can "flop" up and down and in fact can release the door when travelling. Should there be some sort of spring to hold the catch down in the closed position?  Hopefully someone can advise.
Thanks John
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Dometic Fridge Door Catch Empty Re: Dometic Fridge Door Catch

Post by makmps Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi John,

I’ve just had to replace the door catch on our fridge as the spring had snapped allowing the door to come open, on our Sussex Duo. Although our fridge is a Thetford, I got a new catch from a supplier on Amazon for £10 inc postage.
makmps
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:01 pm

They've obviously changed the fridge several times. My 2010 has a Dometic with a sliding catch in centre top of door. That is also useless so I stick a golf tee in the hole in top left of door which is presumably where your catch is. Since yours was built, they've obviously switched to Thetford. 
Perhaps look at Leisureshopdirect website and find your fridge model and see if there is a seperate spring available or maybe a new lock comes with spring.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Paulmold wrote:They've obviously changed the fridge several times. My 2010 has a Dometic with a sliding catch in centre top of door. That is also useless so I stick a golf tee in the hole in top left of door which is presumably where your catch is. Since yours was built, they've obviously switched to Thetford. 
Perhaps look at Leisureshopdirect website and find your fridge model and see if there is a seperate spring available or maybe a new lock comes with spring.
Quite agree, sliding catch useless, I use a crochet hook!
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire/now sold
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Beetee wrote:
Paulmold wrote:They've obviously changed the fridge several times. My 2010 has a Dometic with a sliding catch in centre top of door. That is also useless so I stick a golf tee in the hole in top left of door which is presumably where your catch is. Since yours was built, they've obviously switched to Thetford. 
Quite agree, sliding catch useless, I use a crochet hook!
I read the other day on another forum a fix by making a copy of the flat plastic plate in 1mm aluminium sheet. Such small sheets are available on eBay so I'll be ordering a piece. It supposedly doesn't bend and jam the slide which is the problem with the originals.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down