The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black roof trim front skylight surround

+13
Pete Taylor
bazjaq
Mrs ploppy
groundhog
Bad Penny
Dare-devil-dennis
Slaphead
AndyLouch
Quilter
Maasai Warrior
KMRTOPAZ
Gromit
Wightman
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Black roof trim front skylight surround Empty Black roof trim front skylight surround

Post by Wightman Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi All

Anybody have a solution to a very easy way of bringing back the gloss/shine on the front black curve skylight surround and rear edge curve of the black trim please? Mine has gone very dull and I've tried "T cutting" and then polishing and also a liquid "scouring paste" and polishing but for the hard work involved the result is very disappointing. I've only tried it by hand as I don't want to ruin/make it any worse than it already looks!!!! 

Why have they gone so dull as we try and clean regularly?

Many thanks as usual for all help/replies
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pilote P740C Sensati
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Black roof trim front skylight surround Empty Re: Black roof trim front skylight surround

Post by Wightman Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Wightman wrote:Hi All

Anybody have a solution to a very easy way of bringing back the gloss/shine on the front black curve skylight surround and rear edge curve of the black trim please? Mine has gone very dull and I've tried "T cutting" and then polishing and also a liquid "scouring paste" and polishing but for the hard work involved the result is very disappointing. I've only tried it by hand as I don't want to ruin/make it any worse than it already looks!!!! 

Why have they gone so dull as we try and clean regularly?

Many thanks as usual for all help/replies
Sorry people - could a mod put this in the "coach built" section please?

Didn't realise I was in "van conversions" - it's an age thing  confused3
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Black roof trim front skylight surround Empty Re: Black roof trim front skylight surround

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 pm

A poor excuse - I'm older than you!!!  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Old ! Your no'but a sprat.       Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 am

Getting back to the topic, I have exactly the same problem Wightman. The thing is, I unsuprisingly, like the original black gloss it came with when new, it looks good. So I was disappointed when it started to go dull after only a year. It seems that it is caused by UV, as the small area in the shade under the aerial dish is unaffected and glossy! As I am a perfectionist, I regularly buff off the ‘dirty layer’ with a mild T Cut, the white stuff, and then polish it with a good wax. However it is hard work and it doesn’t last! To reduce the amount of time it takes to hand buff off the dullness, I am down to doing it every 6 weeks and it’s driving me mad! We can’t be the only owners that have this issue. Is there a permanent solution to keeping the shine?

Here’s hoping! think_smiley_46

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:55 am

I don’t know whether this would work but it can’t do any harm....try a little black shoe polish, spread lightly.  It brought out a shine on my black rubber wellies( don’t ask).
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:40 am

Hello all, and me to! Nt sure if T-cut is a great idea as it might eventually rub off the finish?
I've got some (allegedly) good quality wax so will have a go with this and let you know.
My problem is access to this area! To get right across to centre of van needs use of a scaffold tower (which I got to clean the roof!) and it's a bit of a 'project' to set up and clean.
Any other ideas welcomed!
Thanks, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:20 am

A non-flexible pole ( tent pole ?) with a cut down spontex washing up sponge taped to the end might enable you to reach the centre. If you shape the sponge you should not make a mess on the white surround.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 am

Hi, I do use the 3 in 1 T-Cut Colour Fast version which is much milder and more gentle, but yes I take your point, I wouldn’t like to wear the surface down. I then use Carnauba based wax polish which was recommended by someone on this forum a while back. Access is a real problem, I use an aluminium ladder and lean precariously to get to the middle of the roof. Doing it more often does mean I don’t have to work harder and is ultimately a quicker process, so hopefully I am not causing much damage to the GRP. I spoke to someone at a car show once and he suggested getting it professionally sealed with some sort of silicone coating. I am not sure about that, sounds like more issues if it was to peel! 
It is a shame but as I get older it becomes more of an unnecessary challenge! May just let it go dull all over. Unfortunately our van was one of those that the AS factory used oversized securing screws when fitting the overcab roof window. These penetrated right through the black GRP and the repair under warranty by AS was a filling and black gloss paint job to cover up the damage. All carried out very profficiently, however when the gloss disappears from the black GRP you can see the edges of the black gloss paint repair!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:45 am

Could the whole surround not be painted gloss black? 

I recently resprayed my Kubota tractor and when painting the plastic mudguard trim; after rubbing down gently with wet & dry, I sprayed the surface with plastic primer using an aerosol from Halfords.

The whole tractor was then sprayed with tractor enamel and the trims are perfectly sound after a full season's use.

Dave C.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Yes I agree, and as you suggest, preparation is the ‘Key’! 

My damage, the repair carried out by AS is beginning to flake off at the edges!! - I wonder why that is?

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Servisol have a product called "Refurb"

It is a resin spray polish that is designed for surfaces such as GRP dulled by UV.

I have used it when restoring old motorbikes and it seems to give a good durable finish. Nothing is forever though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrovision-Servisol-Refurb-Silicone-Resin/dp/B007464R2A

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Dennis thanks for your suggestion.  I will give the product a go and report back.

Just to delay the dulling longer than 6-8 weeks will help.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:57 pm

AndyLouch wrote:Hello all, and me to! Nt sure if T-cut is a great idea as it might eventually rub off the finish?
I've got some (allegedly) good quality wax so will have a go with this and let you know.
My problem is access to this area! To get right across to centre of van needs use of a scaffold tower (which I got to clean the roof!) and it's a bit of a 'project' to set up and clean.
Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy

Not sure how mobile and agile you are but here's the way I always cleaned the front roof area: open front skylight fully and clean/polish as much as possible from this opening, then go outside and "stand" on the top of either front tyre and finish the rest. The dead flies that seem to congregate at that crease at top of windscreen and roof are easier removed using wet wipes - from position on wheel  allthumbz

Best wishes
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:11 pm

I would ring Mark the Guru at Autosleeper for advice, he may suggest a suitable material to use.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Not familiar with the area you mention, how you treat it very much depends on what it is made of?
Might be able to help with that info. scratch head I have restored and detailed classic cars, yachts and even aeroplanes over many years.

If it is GRP or painted then an abrasive plus wax will do the job for as long as the wax lasts, most waxes last a few weeks even the best a few months especially on an exposed area like a roof. If it is a type of moulded plastic and faded already the more you attack it the more it is likely to fade further and the only long term solution may be as Dave C suggests to paint it? Then you can go back to wax or use a resin protection. Resin protection lasts longer than wax.

Hope that helps a little.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:56 am

After much experience with our Broadway black GRP roof, I am inclined to agree with you groundhog. It is hard work keeping it glossy. The gloss paint used by AS three years ago on the roof repair  (screws breaking through the surface!) has remained glossy although beginning to flake off at the edges. Yes I think, as you say, resin will last longer or certainly as long as any wax. I don’t know what the answer is other than to leave it to go dull and not worry about keeping it shiny.

Just wondering, what type of black GRP do they use in the construction of the Bailey Unicorn caravan range? Their caravan fronts alway look nice and shiny when you see them on sites, unless their owners have been madly polishing them!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 am

Wightman wrote:
AndyLouch wrote:Hello all, and me to! Nt sure if T-cut is a great idea as it might eventually rub off the finish?
Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy

Not sure how mobile and agile you are but here's the way I always cleaned the front roof area: open front skylight fully and clean/polish as much as possible from this opening, then go outside and "stand" on the top of either front tyre and finish the rest. The dead flies that seem to congregate at that crease at top of windscreen and roof are easier removed using wet wipes - from position on wheel  allthumbz

Best wishes

Good morning, thanks for suggestion. Not sure how high I can get by standing on wheel - will have a try later! I like the idea of using wipes to remove dead flies and other debris whilst 'on the road' - excellent tip!
Cleaned van roof yesterday using a portable scaffold tower we bought last year. It takes a while to set up, but much more secure than swinging from a ladder and allows me to give roof a good clean and to check skylight seals etc. and to gve solar panel a thorough clean. Main problem is then to 'swoosh' the water off the flat roof! I moved the van to the end of the drive and used the dropped curb to give enough of an incline for water to run off before cleaning cab, sides etc. A bit of a palaver really but van does look great and ready for next layer of grime!
I must admit to forgetting to have a good look at the 'black' zone whilst the tower was up!! doh....!!
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs ploppy Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Should this not be covered by warranty body panels ie not fit for purpose the same as the sealing tapes becoming un stuck ?
Mrs ploppy
Mrs ploppy

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway eb
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Mrs ploppy wrote:Should this not be covered by warranty body panels ie not fit for purpose the same as the sealing tapes becoming un stuck ?
Just a thought.

How can a slightly dulled and fading panel be declared "Not fit for purpose"?

You would first have to define it's primary purpose as "Remaining shiny".  scratch head Whistle1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Interesting point Dave. How would you cope with the glossy paintwork on a brand new car you had purchased going dull within 18 months? Would you say that was not for fit for purpose? I personally would expect the gloss on black grp to last for a least 10 years before needing to restore the surface. But that me! I have restored mine on our Broadway about 10 times so far, each time taking a full morning! Not fun!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Gromit wrote:
Mrs ploppy wrote:Should this not be covered by warranty body panels ie not fit for purpose the same as the sealing tapes becoming un stuck ?
Just a thought.

How can a slightly dulled and fading panel be declared "Not fit for purpose"?

You would first have to define it's primary purpose as "Remaining shiny".  scratch head Whistle1
Hi Gromit/All

I know what you are saying but surely if you bought a vehicle that a "panel/trim" changed colour/dulled you should have some redress? It's not as though it's on a discreet part of the roof being on the front and rear roof panels!!! It would be very interesting to know how long this problem has been going and if it was just a certain "batch" that had this problem?

But again unfortunately did/does AS know of this problem and why were these panels used - surely they (AS) or whoever AS purchased them from should have done extensive testing in the environment they would be used i.e. direct sunlight!!!??

Best wishes all
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bazjaq Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:03 pm

I met a Broadway owner recently who had bought Autoglym Bumper & Trim Gel to use on the gas/water etc plastic covers. It worked a treat and they look like new, so he tried it on the skylight surround and it works there as well. I took his advice and got it, have used it on the plastic covers but have yet to try it on the roof as I am trying to figure a way to get up there safely.
bazjaq
bazjaq

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:57 am

Hi Baz

Have you seen my post above about how I managed to do it?

Appreciate it's not for everyone but it was the easiest method I found!!!

But only if you feel safe in doing so

Best wishes to all
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bazjaq Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:00 pm

Wightman wrote:Hi Baz

Have you seen my post above about how I managed to do it?

Appreciate it's not for everyone but it was the easiest method I found!!!

But only if you feel safe in doing so

Best wishes to all
Thanks Wightman, tried it - can't reach! Shortarse
bazjaq
bazjaq

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next