The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham radio shutdown.

+11
Paulmold
MelB
hat004
GoffnWen
dbroada
inspiredron
Slaphead
AutoSleepy_Don
Kingham
RogerThat
Mel C
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kingham radio shutdown. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kingham radio shutdown.

Post by Paulmold Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Is it on a Peugeot or a Fiat?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi Paul, don't know -  I found that photo on the internet, so probably on Fiat base.

I wonder if it's a canbus setting in the BCM? (rather than a setting in the head unit itself).

Would explain a lot?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 pm

That photo is what my Nuevo displayed, as does the Fiat hire van I am in right now.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Want to swap radios with me before you give the hire van back?  allthumbz
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is teasing us

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Argh, didn't notice the 2nd page of posts)
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel C Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:50 pm

On mine system settings gives power off 20 minute delay, if you click the option it ticks little box but makes no difference?
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Mel C wrote:On mine system settings gives power off 20 minute delay, if you click the option it ticks little box but makes no difference?
I think the difference is the radio stays on for 20 minutes after you switch the ignition off rather than going off the moment you remove the keys. At least it does on mine.

Incidentally I notice you can switch the radio back on with the ignition off. I did so and left it, when I came back a couple of hours later, it was off again, I don't know how long it stays on for in this scenario but less than 180 minutes.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:11 pm

20 mins Don - I tried that too hugegrins
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 pm

RogerThat wrote:Want to swap radios with me before you give the hire van back?   allthumbz

If I can't retune it away from the light program I might take you up on that.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:25 am

Mel Battersby wrote:Not tried it myself but will this help?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also in more detail:
Switching Peugeot Radios to camper mode
 by roli on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:00 pm
This radio has the option of being used in “NORMAL” mode, which will switch the radio off after 20 mins or in “CAMPER” mode, which will allow the user to use the radio for up to three hours.
To swap between the two settings, or to customise the switch off time for the radio, follow the instructions below:

1) Turn radio ‘ON’ using the central ‘power’ button

2) Within 15 seconds, simultaneously press ‘FM AS’ and the preset button ‘2’. Each time this pair of buttons are pressed, the display will alternate between ‘NORMAL POWER MODE’ and ‘CAMPER POWER MODE’. (note these must be pressed together for up to 5 seconds)

3) Ensure that ‘CAMPER POWER MODE’ is displayed, then press ‘MENU’

4) Using the ‘UP and ‘DOWN’ button now changes the display to show various adjustable items. Cycle through the options until ‘RADIO OFF’ and a number of minutes is shown on the display. This will take approx. two presses of the ‘UP’ button or seven presses of the ‘DOWN’ button.

5) With ‘RADIO OFF’ shown on the display press the ‘LEFT’ or ‘RIGHT’ button. Each press of either button will alternate the number of minutes shown between ‘180’ and ‘0’

6) With ‘180’ showing on the display the setting is complete and three hours of radio operation should be possible. Press the ‘POWER’ button to exit the menu and return the display to its usual view.

Please note that in ‘NORMAL POWER MODE’ the same subsequent steps detailed above can be followed, to choose between ’20 mins’ and ‘0 mins’ of radio operation.

Oh 2013. I remember it well, but alas gone are the days of Radio Luxembourg, Horace Batchelor and The Zebra Kid and the old crystal set radios we used to have!! hugegrins Now who remembers that????

Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:58 am

I have a solution to this problem and it's called bluetooth. I got fed up with mine keep going off and wanted a good solution. I have just got an Amazon Echo and a good quality small bluetooth multi directional hifi speaker ( I think you could pair two speakers to Echo if you wanted ) The sound is superb, has a quality bass and is much, much better than the speakers in the rear of my Fairford lounge, and it wont go off after 20 minutes. Of course it can be used in any model, though. I can still use the cab radio when on the road to listen to music or whatever. I have put a link below which may be helpful. 

Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 am

Interesting idea!

I've also got an Echo Dot fitted in  my van (I do like a gadget!).  Also have a rechargeable DAB radio in the lounge area which is capable of Bluetooth.

I didn't think to pair the two together - I might try this over the weekend up!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:38 am

As previously stated, what's the point in having habitation speaker's that you can't use more than 20mins, mines a pvc so I'd prefer a couple of little cupboards!! Or save a few Bob on the price.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 am

Indeed, the speakers sound quite good too.

Well, for the twenty minutes in which we're allowed to hear them  rolleyes 

I wonder if there's a 12v Bluetooth receiver with an external speaker jack? I'd be happy to disconnect the lounge speakers from the radio and wire them in to something else.

It's ridiculous though, isn't it?

Maybe if enough of us complain to AS they'll do something about it?

Anyone written to the tech section of MMM or Practical Motorhome to see if they either know of any tricks, or to see if they'll name and shame AS?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 am

Roger that, I like your idea of powering them from another source although the head units amplifier might not like an open circuit?
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:38 pm

RogerThat wrote:Indeed, the speakers sound quite good too.

Well, for the twenty minutes in which we're allowed to hear them  rolleyes 

I wonder if there's a 12v Bluetooth receiver with an external speaker jack? I'd be happy to disconnect the lounge speakers from the radio and wire them in to something else.

It's ridiculous though, isn't it?

Maybe if enough of us complain to AS they'll do something about it?

Anyone written to the tech section of MMM or Practical Motorhome to see if they either know of any tricks, or to see if they'll name and shame AS?

Hi Roger. Yeah bloody ridiculous. I think it's all down to Peugeot, because they put these radios in as standard in the van cabs that you see out all day delivering stuff. They are supposed to be eco friendly radios and turn off to save power when the driver hops off and leaves it on!! So when the standard cabs/ chassis are delivered to A/S for conversion they are already installed in the dash. Well at least that's what I was told when I moaned about it to A/S. It seems that only the newer Peugeot models from about 2015 suffer from this un adjustable radio setting my 2015 Bailey could be adjusted. Fiat cabs are apparently okay and have almost identical looking radios fitted and they can be adjusted. I have the same radio problem with my Peugeot 3008 and the radio just goes into power saving mode after a period of time without the engine running. It might even be possible to fit the Fiat radio into the dashboard of the Peugeot van as the din plugs would be universal and I think the dash design is the same. I know someone who has fitted a JVC radio into theirs and bloody smart it looks as well. 
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Agreed, this is definitely a Peugeot setting.

My fear with swapping the radio for one from a Fiat base (the radios are identical in size/shape/connections) is that the settings are stored in the Body Control Module (BCM) rather than in the radio, which means even the new radio would behave the exact same way.

I wonder what would happen if we took a Boxer in to a Fiat Professional garage? Think they'd be able to plug their magic garage laptop in and change a setting for us??
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Just read a post on another forum, lady there has a switch on the dashboard that provides a permanent live to the radio so it can be used all the time.

This might be the easiest and cheapest solution - I'll look in to it some more up!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Something like this maybe, with an LED so we don't forget it's on?

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:16 pm

RogerThat wrote:Just read a post on another forum, lady there has a switch on the dashboard that provides a permanent live to the radio so it can be used all the time.

This might be the easiest and cheapest solution - I'll look in to it some more up!
Wired to leisure battery?
If you fancy trying out a Fiat radio, I just happen to have one removed from a 2016 Fairford (it was an automatic so would be a Fiat).  I've never tried it as I got it to replace the stupid Pioneer that a previous owner put in that only works with ignition on but have since found out that wiring in my 2010 is different. You'd have to come near Chester to try it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi Roger

Is it possible for you to paste a link to the forum post that you refer too. If it does show the switch on the dashboard, this could be really interesting to all who are suffering. I take it that you mean " lately" and not " lady" as in your wording. If this is the case we may all be able to get a switch fitted under warranty to atone for the original cock up.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:03 pm

RogerThat wrote:Agreed, this is definitely a Peugeot setting.

My fear with swapping the radio for one from a Fiat base (the radios are identical in size/shape/connections) is that the settings are stored in the Body Control Module (BCM) rather than in the radio, which means even the new radio would behave the exact same way.

I wonder what would happen if we took a Boxer in to a Fiat Professional garage? Think they'd be able to plug their magic garage laptop in and change a setting for us??
I wonder how the timer is actually implemented?
Is it within the radio itself (with the radio receiving power constantly), or is it the power supply, or another way.
I think its within the radio because you can turn the radio back on without using the ignition key but you can't be certain with Canbus systems.

I think there will be a way to change the timer and you sound like the man to find it. up!
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 pm

RogerThat wrote:Just read a post on another forum, lady there has a switch on the dashboard that provides a permanent live to the radio so it can be used all the time.

It would be interesting to hear whether that refers to an OEM headunit or a replacement one. I don't know specifically about Peugeot/Fiat radios, but the current generation of headunits typically only have a permanent live to them. They don't have an ignition-switched live (which incidentally is why swapping out the OEM headunit and putting in an aftermarket one often leads to flat batteries).

My understanding is that they work in this way: When you turn off the ignition and remove the key, the main Body Control Module broadcasts an "ignition has just been switched off" message over the CAN network. The radio receives this and starts an internal timer. When that expires, the radio turns itself off. Certainly my experience with a VAG group OEM RCD310 headunit is that the timeout is coded into the headunit, not the main Body Control Module.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 pm

-mojo- wrote:
My understanding is that they work in this way: When you turn off the ignition and remove the key, the main Body Control Module broadcasts an "ignition has just been switched off" message over the CAN network. The radio receives this and starts an internal timer. When that expires, the radio turns itself off.
Does that mean Peugeot owners can replace their headunit with a Fiat headunit to get the 180 minute delay (without any other modification)?
Will require Peugeot/Fiat Canbus messages to be compatible?

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
-mojo- wrote:
My understanding is that they work in this way: When you turn off the ignition and remove the key, the main Body Control Module broadcasts an "ignition has just been switched off" message over the CAN network. The radio receives this and starts an internal timer. When that expires, the radio turns itself off.
Does that mean Peugeot owners can replace their headunit with a Fiat headunit to get the 180 minute delay?
Will require Peugeot/Fiat Canbus messages to be compatible?
Or perhaps an earlier 2015 Peugeot model radio which could be adjusted to 180 minutes and is exactly the same size if I remember from my one in the Peugeot cab on the Bailey. Also it had DAB as do the newer ones they now fit. I don't pretend to know it all and I am just putting forward an idea which might work. Canbus systems are the bain of us all from what I can see. Thank god for piggy back fuses that can fool them and not trigger overload warnings.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2