The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bed layouts for 2011 Symbol.

+5
Ramblers
matchlessman
biffobear
Heanorboy
vaughnbyrne
9 posters

Go down

Bed layouts for 2011 Symbol. Empty Bed layouts for 2011 Symbol.

Post by vaughnbyrne Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:31 am

Hello All,

Had a 1993 Symphony for 20 years and replaced it with a used 2011 Symbol January 2017.
I am struggling with the bed formation, the Owners Manual shows bench seat base and backrest make main part of bed (as in Symphony) plus an extra cushion between the two front seats.
It also shows the front seats being used as part of the bed.
Our bench seat base and backrest do not fill the gap. We have two long rectangular infill cushions that do not seem to quite fit, and nothing else.
Having gone to AS and spoken to Mark, whilst extremely helpful, he was not entirely sure so he spoke to Premier Furnishings who made the bits. They sent him a spec sheet diagram for 2009 Symbol, (different from the Owners Manual) which showed the two infills we have also the cab centre infill. Together we made the bed with the bits we have, but no arrangement was entirely satisfactory. Mark reckoned that one arrangement, although not comfortable, was correct.
Our front seats are so bucket shaped they are pretty useless as bed base parts.
      We would like to get something close to the comfort of the Symphony, is that possible?
Does anyone have a photo of a 2011 Symbol bed made up with all the bits to see?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Vaughn
vaughnbyrne
vaughnbyrne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Bed layouts for 2011 Symbol. Empty Re: Bed layouts for 2011 Symbol.

Post by Heanorboy Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

My thoughts on this one 
the two front seats are only used when the bedding is two singles sleeping down the length of the vanyou put your feet on them so no problem, if you want a double you sleep across the van (feet or head to sliding door) and don't use the front seats as part of the bed
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:14 pm

The 1999 Symbol I had was very good bed wise and you could make up a double north to south or across the ‘van east to west. The settee base pulled out on a steel frame right across to the single seat. The settee back layed down which had a 6” infill cushion attached which filled the gap along the outer wall. The single back seat moved forward and the backrest of the seat laid flat. That was for sleeping across the van as a double. You could include the to front seats plus 3  small infill cushions one doubled as an armrest on the settee. Which you pulled up and layed flat and an infill cushion filled the gap left. Their was an infill cushion went down the left side or the passenger seat and up against the door post and the front seats pushed hard forward with the backrest fully reclined had an infill cushion between them. Never did use it like that though.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Our ES had an extra seat opposite the sliding door, rather than a bench settee. This meant a little more messing about with cushions and the inevitable dips etc. After trying everything we ended up sleeping East / West (no good if you're over 6 foot), with feet to the sliding door and mattress toppers to give a flat bed. Eventually we changed to an Adria Twin with a fixed rear bed, although I believe the new owner has no problems with the bed.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm

As you know from the Owners Manual the backrest together with the seat base should fill the gap fully. We sleep in 2 singles so that we have access to all the facilities; my 6' 2" sleeps by the sliding door with the passenger seat rotated whilst my wife at 5' 4" sleeps on the offside with the driver seat slid forward and an infill cushion filling the gap. We have purchased large cushions and leave the backrest at home so storage at night of this large item doesn't exist. I suppose we all modify the layout to suit our individual needs. Jeff

Male

Member Age : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by vaughnbyrne Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you Ramblers.
Our Symbol has a backrest only 12-1/4" high so as to not impede the side window; so the backrest and base do not fill the gap as in the Owners manual. We have another two infill cushions similar to those marked '5' on the ES model. What infill cushion do you have to go behind the drivers seat? and how high is your backrest?
I feel I'm getting closer!
Thanks.
vaughnbyrne
vaughnbyrne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:25 pm

The Owners Manual shows the cushions fitting together snugly. I have stored the backrest in the loft so not readily handy but our situation will be exactly like yours: the height from the bed base to just under the window is 13" (so I expect ours will be in the order of 12 and a bit like yours) whereas the gap between the side settee and the single seat is 18". From the days of the caravan neither of us liked the 'climb over' scenario so our purchase of the Symbol was based on 2 single beds.

We had no other infill pieces on handover. We purchased cushions that complimented the original upholstery that suits us lounging in the evenings and we use one of these to fit behind the drivers seat to slighly extend the offside bed length at night. Jeff

Male

Back to top Go down

Bed layouts for 2011 Symbol. Empty bed frame that is wooden

Post by mmmmmm Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

We have a 2011 strange bedframe arrangement-wooden slats stapled badly onto chipboard ,whereas the frame nearest the door is metal and no problem -the wooden frame will not pull in or out smoothly (had campers for 15 years previously and never had such an annoying double bed arrangement).Is it possible to reinstate a metal frame ?whatever were AS thinking of !!When did they change this configuration ??!!
mmmmmm
mmmmmm

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:21 pm

The photos in this advert show the beds as singles and doubles in a 2011 Dorset. It may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mmmmmm Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Thank you -this is a very similar model but does it have metal frames underneath to slide out?
Ours is a wooden base and sticks and bends and is put together with staples which are too short,therefore the slats break off !!It is awful to pull out and put back as a double.We are trying to ascertain if anyone has the same  problem,and when the design was changed from metal to wood. Autosleepers are being evasive and not understanding the problem - unless we travel a few hundred miles and go and see them !!!
mmmmmm
mmmmmm

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:51 pm

mmmmmm

From my limited knowledge, it sounds to me that someone must have replaced a metal frame and slats to the timber one that you descibe. This does not seem like the bed construction used in earlier or later Symbol models. Could it be a crude replacement?

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by mmmmmm Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Thank you very much for your help.Seems a very odd thing to do ,but was sold to us by a reputable dealer who seemed to think the wooden base was normal !
I shall pursue  this idea.
mmmmmm
mmmmmm

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by T25Pete Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:53 pm

I had a 2011 Symbol with a wooden bed frame. It was stiff to slide until a good squirt of spray furniture wax. Not as good as my Nuevo steel frame but perfectly good once you get the hang of the cushions.
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by mmmmmm Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Thank you -very useful tip,which we did try first ! but why ever did they replace the frame that was super with ball bearings and simple roll mechanism ?Any auto sleeper engineers out there ?Is it replaceable with a normal steel bedframe as in previous years ?
mmmmmm
mmmmmm

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:07 pm

'why ever did they replace'  usually because its cheaper...
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by mossystone Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi  We have the 2011 Symbol and still are not sure if we make the bed as intended. The hand book bears little relationship to the cushions. We now leave the folding thingy that should go between the front seats at home.  This also gives extra storage space behind the single seat whilst travelling.  For two single beds our feet have to extend over the cab seats and this works quite well.  For a double we sleep across the van with the bench pulled fully across to the single seat, the bench back rest lies flat behind (above) the main bench cushion and the two long rectangular extra cushions we push, on edge into the gap under the bench window. These make a raised head rest pillow. 
Our bench pull-out is interlocking wood slats with metal legs, I find it best to lift and pull when extending it.
This might not be right but it works well for us.
If your search for the definitive answer is successful, please let me know.
mossystone
mossystone

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by mmmmmm Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Thank you -we also leave the odd folding thing at home as well !We make the double bed up the same way as you do ,but nothing like as comfy as our previous camper !The bench pull out is the problem,as we reckon it must be a Friday afternoon job !The wood slats are stapled by a stationery stapler and keep falling out-impossible to dismantle by me on my own as it still won't pull out evenly,or push back at all.Design dreadful !
Autosleeper have denied knowledge of wooden slats,but on this forum several vans seem to have them.Will let you know how we get on.Best Wishes.
mmmmmm
mmmmmm

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Our Symbol bed arrangement is as described by "mossystone", the wooden slats are slightly curved with capped ends on a wooden frame with metal legs.

As I have previously stated we prefer the single bed set up which allows me access to the rear of the van.

Male

Back to top Go down