The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V5 Registration Document

+3
Cymro
-mojo-
mickywillis
7 posters

Go down

V5 Registration Document Empty V5 Registration Document

Post by mickywillis Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Looking at a camper which although isn't an Autosleeper conversion (its a Swift Mondial on a Fiat Ducato base) I noticed something on the V5.
Its currently showing as a Panel Van under the Body Type section.

As its a factory conversion, should this not state "Motorhome or Campervan" Or should this be shown under the Section J of the V5 " Vehicle Category"?

At some stage the original number plate has been changed to a personalised plate, could this be when the V5 lost the "Motorhome/Campervan" status?

Whats the correct way to get this changed with DVLA (or can it be changed?)

Also, when I enter the details onto the Dartford Crossing website, the reg. no. comes up as a HGV, can this be changed as well?

Thanks,
mickywillis
mickywillis

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : NA
Vehicle Year : NA

Back to top Go down

V5 Registration Document Empty Re: V5 Registration Document

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:27 pm

There are several possible reasons. One could be an error when the vehicle was originally registered - it does happen, but in my experience it's rare and people tend to pay attention to what's in that field, as you can easily get speeding fines if it's wrong (a panel van has different speed limits than a "Motor Caravan").

Another possibility is that it has been accident damaged and rebodied onto another chassis/base vehicle. If so, it's carelessness by whoever did the work, because there is a procedure which allows you to have it changed on the V5 if the vehicle meets certain criteria.

The Dartford Crossing thing is probably just an error in their system - if you report it they will almost certainly correct it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm

It's easy to get the V5 changed by DVLA. Write to them, enclosing current V5; tell them the change(s) which you're requesting.; for change to "Motorhome" you'll need to enclose some recent photographs of the motorhome, some showing its numberplate. Show one inside photo.

I did this last month. Took a week or so.
Here's a copy of my covering letter - feel free to use.

Dear DVLA,
Requesting two changes to V5(C)W Registration Certificate for [Reg No.]

1. Section 4, D.5: Body Type
1.1 In March 2017, I bought a new motorhome. It was made by AutoSleepers Ltd and is on a Peugeot base vehicle. It is called an AutoSleeper Nuevo ES. It was registered new with the mark XXXXX. On receipt of the V5(C)W I noticed an error insofar as the number of seats, including driver, was shown as 2 whereas it should be 4. I wrote to DVLA with photographs and extracts from the sales brochure, and in due course received a corrected V5(C)W.
1.2. I have recently learned that, dependent on their maximum unladen weight, there are different speed limits applicable to vans as compared with motorhomes. My motorhome has what the manufacturer describes as the Mass in Running Order (i.e. unladen, but including 75kg for driver and 90% of fuel, gas and water tanks’ capacity) of 3,047kg. [see attached extract from Autosleepers’ Weights and Dimensions brochure.] Thus the vehicle’s maximum unladen weight [which is defined on website as not including the weight of fuels or passenger] must be less than that, and is not more than 3.05 tonnes. Accordingly, the speed limits applicable to it are the same as those for a car.
1.3. However, having looked again at my V5(C)W, I see that in section 4 D.5 it gives “body type” as VAN. I enclose the current V5(C)W
1.4. I should therefore be grateful if a new V5(C)W could be issued, showing the body type as Motorhome.
1.5. As evidence that LG15LEW is indeed a motorhome, and was built as such by Autosleepers, I enclose some photographs of the vehicle showing its registration mark; I also enclose some other supporting documents – extracts from the Autosleepers’ sales brochure; letter from supplying dealer; and email from Autosleepers. (There’s no need to return them.)

2. Section 4 G: Mass in Service
2.1 Whilst looking at the V5(C)W, I also notice that the entry for G. Mass in Service is shown as 1,680kg. I’m afraid I cannot verify that figure, but it strikes me as odd. I have tried to seek the definition of that term, but the website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] only defines Unladen weight and Maximum authorised mass.
2.2 However, I believe that Mass in Service on the V5(C)W is the same as what the motorhome’s manufacturer describes as Mass in Running Order. That is set out in paragraph 1.2 above, and it is shown in the manufacturer’s enclosed list of weights and dimensions. It is also shown at the foot of the enclosed photocopy of page 19 of the sales brochure, where Mass in Running Order is shown as “MIRO – 3047kg/ 2935kg**” (with the asterisked other figure being for the EK model, not mine).
2.3 Accordingly, the correct entry on the V5(C)W in part 4G Mass in Service should be 3,047kg, not 1,680. I should be grateful if the replacement V5(C_W could also incorporate that change.
I suspect that the root of these discrepancies may be that the supplying dealer or the factory incorrectly supplied DVLA with the details of the (unregistered) bare Peugeot chassis vehicle, before the bodywork was added by Autosleepers at their factory, rather than the finished motorhome.
Yours faithfully,

Enclosures:
V5(C)W for XXXXX
Extract from AutoSleepers’ Weights and Dimensions, for Nuevo ES model.
Letter 30 June 2014 from [Dealer] confirming order for new Nuevo ES
Email 01/08/2014 from AutoSleepers saying that our motorhome is being built new
3 photographs (taken on 2 November 2017) of XXXXX AutoSleeper Nuevo ES motorhome
Copy from AutoSleepers sales brochure showing Nuevo
Copy page 19 of sales brochure, showing bed layout etc of Nuevo ES (showing that it’s a motorhome) and also showing “MIRO - 3047kg”

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Just to reiterate: last time I looked, there was only one valid Body Type for a motorhome, and that is "Motor Caravan". I'm happy to be corrected if that situation has changed!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:33 pm

I bought a t5 from a dealer , the registration document said it was a vw jeta !! I told the dealer I wouldn’t buy the vehicle until the document was corrected, they apologised and two weeks later it was sorted. I would suggest you go down the same route. Good luck.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 pm

You may be correct, but the DoT do refer to both Motor Caravan and Motorhome in their speed limit online document.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Both my AS van conversions (1) 2002 Symbol, 2) 2017 Warwick Duo) say "Motor Caravan" against Body Type.
It is the dealer who registers the vehicle with DVLA so could be a mess up by the dealer as opposed to AS.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Indeed - the dealer that supplies B1lb*s with their T5/T6s made exactly this mistake (and also got the Vehicle Class wrong resulting in bigger road fund charges for customers) just before I bought the Celex! Thankfully they got it right when they did the paperwork on mine. In that case it wasn't B1lb0s fault either...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gus446 Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 pm

When I bought my Kemerton XL (nearly 3yrs old at time) it was registered as a Peugeot 2008, in order to get it changed on the v5 I had to get Peugeot to send me a letter stating it’s true make, there computer had the right details, tn hen sent that to DVLA and it was done within a few days, how the first owner and the dealers never spotted it I don’t know
Gus446
Gus446

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mickywillis Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm

Am I correct in assuming the correct Tax (RFL) class should be PLG (Private Light Goods) on the V5?
If so, that is exactly what is shown on the V5 relating to the campervan.
mickywillis
mickywillis

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : NA
Vehicle Year : NA

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 pm

mickywillis wrote:Am I correct in assuming the correct Tax (RFL) class should be PLG (Private Light Goods) on the V5?
If so, that is exactly what is shown on the V5 relating to the campervan.
Mine is PLG too.   Smiley-Congrats
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down