The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident

4 posters

Go down

Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident Empty Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident

Post by caroline70 Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am

My Autosleeper Trident has been exhibiting a low coolant problem. When the coolant is at the maximum level in the expansion sphere all seems well for a while. Then she notices that the level has gone down to near the minimum mark. There are no obvious leaks but the garage thought there was a slight leak from the water pump so that was changed. All seemed well but the problem returned. I noticed some coolant around the horizontal joint of the expansion sphere and thought that maybe the joint had a leak. Coolant sphere changed. All OK for a while then problem returned. I have deduced that as there was still evidence of coolant around seam of sphere that some coolant had been expelled via the pressure cap. The cap itself seems to be OK in terms of holding pressure in the system. Any ideas?
caroline70
caroline70

Female

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident Empty Re: Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident

Post by -mojo- Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:31 pm

I hate to say it, but generally this is likely to be head gasket failure. The excessive pressure in the tank is probably caused by exhaust gases getting into the coolant system. The diagnosis is not a certain one, but you can now buy "sniff test" kits which can detect the presence of exhaust gases in the coolant, and that should be pretty conclusive.

If you haven't already, I would recommend you have a good read of the Engine section of the UK VWT4forum, as there will have been posts on this issue there in the past. You can of course ask this question there, though I suspect that reading old posts about similar problems will tell you what you need to know. Good luck - hope it's actually something simpler/cheaper!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident Empty Re: Low coolant level 1995 Autosleeper Trident

Post by boxerman Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm

This happened to my van, but it is a Boxer not VW.
No loss of power or any other symptom, just disappearing coolant with no leaks. I changed the cap too, but to no avail. 
We were in Shetland at the time so there was not a lot I could do about it - tried Barrs Leaks & K Seal but neither fixed it.

Number one [or 4, depending on your point of view] piston suffered some scoring of the skirt due to the lubrication being washed away on that cylinder and although there is no lack of power, that piston now 'slaps' quite noisily when cold.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm

I've read on various T4 forums etc, that one cause for this is the plastic expansion tank itself and that replacement cures the problems.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No guarantees, but at £14 it may be worth a try especially as you appear to have coolant around the seam of the tank.

Just reread your post and you have already changed the sphere sorry, I should read more carefully in future Whistle1
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Did you replace the cap at the same time?
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down