The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

draughts in cab

+2
breakaleg
murph
6 posters

Go down

draughts in cab Empty draughts in cab

Post by murph Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Roli and Whisky,
We went off course on LED lights, so I thought I had better start a new thread. I have the cover off the set belt mount (2screws and the bottom seat belt mount, but where does the draught get in, it isnt obvious. I presume that the draught somehow comes down the door pillar but how does a draught get in there if this is the case I presume one has to stuff up the door pillar with insulation/ expanding foam.

Brian.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

draughts in cab Empty draughts in cab

Post by murph Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 am

I now have the whole panel round the seatbelt off, up to the top mounting and still can't see where a draught is coming from, but I have stuffed the top of the door pillar with fibreglass loft insulation. The bottom below the seat belt roller is sealed with what looks like wood and body filler, so a draught shouldnt come from there, or is it simply somthing to do with lack of insulation at this point in which case I need to stuff more insulation in there.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

draughts in cab Empty Re: draughts in cab

Post by breakaleg Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi Brian,
You have noticed it as well, keep meaning to do something about it, some people have cut carpet and cut a slot in it for the seat belt to pass through freely, then stuck it on the ledge where the belt comes into the van (hope that makes sense) only thing that would bother me with the insulation is if it worked it's way in to where the belt rolls up and jammed the belt?
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Brian.

Yes I had the same problem locating where the draught gets in but get in it does. I crawled under the van and the only conclusion that I came too was it gets into the chassis rails then some how through the outriggers into the door pillar. All I do know for certain is fill the pillars with lagging and tape over the holes works a treat.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

PS. Did my van 2 years ago and have since checked in case lagging attracted any dampness but all as dry as a bone.

PPS. It can't work its way into the seat belt mechanism. Well not on mine it can't.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

draughts in cab Empty Deaughts in the cab

Post by murph Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Whisky,
My thought is that rather than a draught getting in, the cold surface inside the door pillar generates a cold air circulation and this escapes via the seat belt orifice, obviously with a vent in the door and holes in the door panel draughts do get in this way.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi Brian.

Did check the pillar where the seat belt exits. The draught was strong enough to blow out a gas lighter on a day with a mild breeze. I did this experiment after I had blocked up all the vents in the doors and door panels. So thinking it must be getting in somewhere. The passenger side draught was stronger than the drivers side I put this down to the draught exiting though the handbrake cowl as well as the seatbelt opening. When I removed the handbrake cowl the rubber grommet around the handbrake cable had also worked its way out of its location.

So I really am not sure how it gets in. Only know how to stop it getting out. If you do manage to track down the entry point please let me know.

Cheers. Whisky.draughts in cab 524783431

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

draughts in cab Empty Draughts in the cab

Post by murph Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:41 pm

HI All,
I have now completed the cab anti ventilation scheme with duct tape behind the vent holes in the door panels and I have used Whiskys method of fibreglass loft insulation in the pillars so hopefully the draughts have been reduced or better still eliminated. Our van has door speakers fitted so I dont expect draughts through there.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm

On our Exec the draught came up the door pillar from the bottom

One other thing we did in winter when parked up was to fit a narrow bit of curtain (via press studs) along the bottom of the dash to the floor.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

draughts in cab Empty Re: Keeping warm while driving?

Post by newterry Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:27 pm

I seem to remember a recent thread regarding the heater ducts to the cab floor. In some Boxers only have one duct at floor level and someone managed to re-create the second one ? Sorry, can't locate it for a link but I remember going to check mine at the time. up!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by silvertraveller Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi Brian
            Had the same trouble on our Broadway EK the intake vents that feed air into the door pillars are under the van , check underneath the van below the door pillars & you should see the vents about 3" square on the broadway  ,the n/s one was already blanked off , so just blanked off the o/s with duck tape
                  Mick
silvertraveller
silvertraveller

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2009 Broadway EK

Back to top Go down