The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maxxis ma-las all season tyres

+2
daisy mae
Lorfal
6 posters

Go down

Maxxis ma-las all season tyres Empty Maxxis ma-las all season tyres

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 pm

appreciate there are threads on tyres already, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these all season van tyres. Looking to change to all season on our new fairford. Very rural, up a rutted track to home, often muddy.

Thankyou for any advice.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Maxxis ma-las all season tyres Empty Re: Maxxis ma-las all season tyres

Post by daisy mae Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 pm

I recommend Kleber M & S Mud and Snow, I bought from Germany a good price with free delivery in 2 days.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks daisy mae, I read your review on these and I am giving it consideration. The guy who I like to fit my tyres recommended the maxxis , just covering all options hugegrins
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Lorfal , interesting answer from Honestjohn website to a question regarding fitting Kleber or Maxxis winter tyres to a Sprinter motorhome.

I would not have full cold weather tyres on a heavy vehicle like a motorhome all year round because the heat generated during a long motorway run at 30C+ ambient could blow a tyre. Go for all weather. Check out Nokian Weatherproof.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Mine are Mud and Snow and states that they can be used all year round, which I do and haven`t encounted any problems in 5 years.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

We have used Toyo H09 Mud & Snow tyres on our Pollensa all year round for several years now covering trips including the south of France in June and Scotland in January through deep snow.
Like daisy mae we have had excellent results.
The difference on muddy conditions is amazing - previous tyres would slip on wet grass on a slight incline.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:26 pm

I won’t go winter, tyre guy advised all season and not winter for reasons mentioned
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Mine are all seasons as stated.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 pm

rogerblack wrote:We have used Toyo H09 Mud & Snow tyres on our Pollensa all year round for several years now covering trips including the south of France in June and Scotland in January through deep snow.
Like daisy mae we have had excellent results.
The difference on muddy conditions is amazing - previous tyres would slip on wet grass on a slight incline.
Hi Roger and Margaret

Interesting topic this 
My van will be getting a birthday card in just over a week as Daisy will be 5 (any presents greatly appreciated she deserves them)
anyway I no doubt be looking to buy her a new set of tyres due to cracking of the side walls within the next two years max if past experience is any ruling.
So I have a few questions to add to the list to both of using your experiences of Snow and Mud tyres 
1. Do they wear at a similar rate to normal van tyres as fitted on most PVC supplied by AS (I.e will they do 30k plus usual for me at 5kpa for 6 years) before the side walls decide to crack
2 Does it effect the ride (Past experience on Tribute changed to Light Van from Camper van recommend drop pressure by 20psi so ride much smoother) so
3 Does it effect tyre pressure
4 Does it give an increase in Road noise 

We don't really get much snow down in sunny Somerset so it is really a matter for me of weighing up for the better grip on grass and getting educated answers from people who have done it to see which way I go

Thanks folks
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 am

Hi David  

1. Sorry, can't help you on wear as we're away from base for a while and I don't have access to my vehicle records to check purchase dates etc.   shrugg  Also we haven't done anywhere near our usual mileage for the last couple of years having had to cancel several trips due to family illnesses & bereavements.

2. Can't say I've noticed any difference in the ride, bearing in mind it's not Rolls Royce-like on the van whatever tyres we use.   running 

3. We run them at much the same pressures as the original tyres, per the sticker inside the door.  

4. Similar to 2. - I can't say we notice any road noise over the constant rattling and vibration from numerous sources inside which we've got used to over the years. playing

I had a good radio/SD/USB system installed with four main speakers and two tweeters, plus a large powered bass unit mounted on the bulkhead panel behind the driver's seat (good for back massages hugegrins ) which tends to drown everything else out anyway.     up!

I only had the Toyos on the front at first, as the original requirement was just to help with grip on mud, wet grass etc, however when we started using the van regularly in Scotland during winter months I took the advice that for safe driving in snowy road conditions they really should be used all round. I think then I bought just another two and had the front to back swapped around, but my memory is hopeless so can't confirm that until I can check my records.

I've also been using winter tyres (Michelin) on my Vectra estate, for several years having them changed back to over to summers each year but for the last year or two when the summer ones had worn I left the winters on all year and they were fine. I finally replaced those a few months ago with all-season tyres (can't remember the make) which I haven't yet had a chance to try in snow. Last year with the winter tyres I drove up to Glenshee in heavy snow conditions and it handled almost like normal driving - previously with the original tyres I'd get stuck in snow that barely covered the ground.

If you look on the usual websites - mytyres, blackcircles, etc - they give the EU ratings for noise etc so you can compare.

cheers
Roger

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 am

I find my van is very quiet, feels stable in all conditions, this make of tyre was on my van from knew so I replaced with same, saying that if I change vans will replace with the same tyres as I have now.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice, I think that bit of rubber is all the van  has between the van and the road, so I prefer to be as safe as possible.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for your comments Roger and Margaret

allthumbz
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Maxxis ma-las all season tyres Empty maxxis tyres

Post by Big Erb 98 Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 pm

my mate own's a tyre buisness and I bought 5 maxxis M+S tyre's for my Landrover Defender 110 I had them on a few months and went back to him for the tracking checked when he noticed a split on the inside sidewalls of 1 of them but it was ok he said they have a lifetime sidewall guarantee and got me another 1 for free allthumbz
Big Erb 98
Big Erb 98
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down