The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alko air top

+3
Angel6855
Spospe
greycaster
7 posters

Go down

Alko air top Empty Alko air top

Post by greycaster Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 pm

I have just checked my alko air top suspension and both units look flat although the pressure on the gauges is showing 2 bar. Any ideas.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Alko air top Empty Re: Alko air top

Post by Guest Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

There was a post recently about bolts being fitted wrong way up, then rubbing the air spheres causing leaks
I was out to mine to check!! Warwick Duo 2011 btw. My air springs are exactly like yours, more like pancakes than spheres.
I therefore think you have no problems, just different springs than you expected. Also if both have 2 Bar in them, it'd be unlikely both the gauges were lying!
If I am wrong, we'll soon know!!

IanH
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:15 am

Your units seem to have a different method of fixing to mine (2014 Duo) and no possibility of the fixing bolts wearing through the rubber of the bellows. The bellows units themselves look fine to me, exactly like mine.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel6855 Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 am

Mine seems to be a bit more inflated than that. (having trouble uploading photo though)

Last edited by Angel6855 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo did not upload)
Angel6855
Angel6855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:53 am

I've just taken this pic of my Warwick XL 2017, looks much the same, pressure was at 1.8 bar.. I did the pressure check a few weeks back, the van lifted as I increased pressure and dropped when I let air out which was reassuring. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 am

Can i ask what do you gain by adding these, am i missing out.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:00 pm

They are standard on current models, I expect their purpose is to assist the vehicles springs and prevent the risk of bottoming out.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Chris, yes I think you are missing out. Having just had one of the 'old' fixing type fail I ran for a while with both sides flat, whilst waiting for my appointment at Willersey for replacement pair to be fitted. 
With the replacements fitted the transformation in ride and handling is superb. Just proved to me how good these things are. 
Admittedly we do travel 'heavy' normally, with full tanks etc as we normally wild camp for as long as possible.I guess this makes the ride difference particularly noticeable for us.
Incidentally, Autosleeper price for a new pair was about the same as the cheapest I could find for single unit for one side only on the internet - and this was buying direct from Germany .
postman
postman

Male

Member Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:47 pm

postman wrote:Chris, yes I think you are missing out. Having just had one of the 'old' fixing type fail I ran for a while with both sides flat, whilst waiting for my appointment at Willersey for replacement pair to be fitted. 
With the replacements fitted the transformation in ride and handling is superb. Just proved to me how good these things are. 
Admittedly we do travel 'heavy' normally, with full tanks etc as we normally wild camp for as long as possible.I guess this makes the ride difference particularly noticeable for us.
Incidentally, Autosleeper price for a new pair was about the same as the cheapest I could find for single unit for one side only on the internet - and this was buying direct from Germany .

Thanks Postman ill add to my wanted list.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigley Woggled Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 am

I wondered why these units were necessary so I did some research.  scratch head

Normal Peugeot Boxer Vans come with just the leaf springs, I.E. without the Alko Top units.
Most vans don't run at near maximum loading, instead they are used as a bulk carrier making deliveries and so while a van might start full this does not necessarily mean its working at 3500 Kg.

Motorhomes have fixed components which are heavy and so ALWAYS run at a significant loading, indeed more so as we fill with water and supplies for our journey. So its likely we could be running at 3000 Kg on a regular basis or  even higher.
So the Alko Tops units are designed to provide additional assistance to the standard suspension so providing a better ride and reducing the impact from pot hole or bad road surface shocks.

This is an interesting video on  the subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r13xvoJlb0  wave
Wigley Woggled
Wigley Woggled

Male

Member Age : 77

Back to top Go down