The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Levelling ramps?

+21
Horobi
Bartfarst
Paul 300358
kaspian
bikeralw
PLOUGHLIN
Quilter
fenderbender
Millyfrance
meanchris
Peter Brown
Bulletguy
Gromit
Spospe
Peel
groundhog
dbroada
matchlessman
daisy mae
pstallwood
Solihull Baggie
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Levelling ramps? Empty Levelling ramps?

Post by Solihull Baggie Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Do I need levelling lamps for my symbol? I assume that most sites are reasonably level. Apart from the obvious of having the van on a slight slope is there anything that is not likely to function as well on a slight gradient (fridge perhaps?).

If I do need them does anybody have any recommendations?

Cheers
Solihull Baggie

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Boxer Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Levelling ramps? Empty Re: Levelling ramps?

Post by pstallwood Sun May 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Don't believe that most sites are level. There are quite a lot of times we have got out the ramps as it can be a bit disconcerting standing on a sloping floor. Doors swing closed and sleeping head down can be strange. We are not too particular but would not want to be without the opportunity to get a better level.

We have used the fridge when parked on slopes and have never had a problem but I know that some set ups can be critical as to level.

We just use a set of plain vanilla Fiamma ramps others will have different preferences.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun May 14, 2017 8:47 pm

I have never used or carry ramps ,  and have never had a problem with the fridge or anything else, as long as the wine / dinner doesn`t slide off the table all is well. It hasn`t done yet.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Mon May 15, 2017 8:30 am

Even Britstop pub car parks can slope. I always carry a set of ramps and probably use them on 30% of sites.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 am

I can't sleep if my head is lower than my feet so always carry a set. The Fiat auto box makes parking on them almost impossible so I prefer not to use them!  I have one of those 2 spirit bubble gauges from B&Q and a zone on my dashboard marked to locate it and I can usually shuffle around a pitch to get it all level enough.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon May 15, 2017 9:07 am

Personal preference, for me the van has to be flat so we have milenco quads but they do take up a lot of space if you lack storage, not a problem in the Worcester. In your position I would go for a set of the simple single ramps that at least will give you some leeway and not take up too much space. Basic milenco ones about £20 and widely available.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 am

Yes, forgot to say, mine are a cheap pair of yellow wedges bought about 15 years ago. Only once had I wished for something more substantial. 

As for the fridge, they work best level and their efficiency will drop as they tilt. If they are tilted too much in the wrong direction the gas won't circulate and it doesn't work. The limit used to be a couple of degrees but a modern fridge will take a lot more abuse.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 am

I carry basic ramps (yellow plastic Fiamma ones). I don't mind a slight slope from a comfort point of view, but my fridge is poor on gas unless properly level.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 am

Never had ramps and usually find a rock, or branch etc if needed (very rare). Only had a couple of occasions in the last 16 years when we could not get the van level(ish), but we managed for a night anyway.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 am

If you decide to get ramps (and I would) this might be of interest if your storage space is at a premium. We carry a pair of Milenco Triples. Better quality than the Fiamma yellow ones which split at the pointy end, but quite a bit more bulky.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon May 15, 2017 12:38 pm

The op should be able to see from this thread it's very much a case of 'must have' and 'don't bother'!! Some wouldn't be without them whilst others can't see the point. Having owned a pair myself and used them just once in ten years, i tend to go with the latter!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Its a matter of size, you get a much larger height difference front to back on a given slope over 8 metres than you do over 5.5 metres. If you are on a pitch for a week or more and your shower tray doesn't drain it can be a tad annoying.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon May 15, 2017 2:50 pm

The Exec sits up at the rear like a top fuel dragster, so unless we prefer sleeping like bats, we need ramps.

I do try to use any slight incline on a pitch to avoid ramps, but how do you go about this when on a pegged pitch where you have to be in a specific position, if you don't have ramps?
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Millyfrance Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi . I would definitely carry at least 1 pair of ramps ( we carry 2 pairs with us ) I hate the van not being level . I end up slipping down the bed or going for shower and standing in a puddle of yesterday's shower water lol . We have a pair of milenco Quattro and a pair of  fiamma yellow wedges .
Millyfrance
Millyfrance
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Couldn't do without my ramps in the symphony, keep mine in a bag at the back of the wardrobe.
Have stayed on too many uneven pitches and there's nothing worse than peas rolling off the plate.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 pm

We wouldn't be without them, for all the reasons given above.

If you think you are likely to be in the " never use them" camp then don't buy any until you have confirmed this. They are bulky and quite heavy so, if you can do without, all the better.

If, when away, you can't cope without them, then you can sometimes borrow a plank or whatever from the office or improvise from stuff around. We had a very comfortable night in Cambridge by sweeping up the gravel from the pitch to make 2 mounds under the front wheels.

Incidentally, after years of fiddling with spirit levels, on our last long trip, faced with a faulty spirit level, we used a ping pong ball on the ( uncarpetted) floor. Worked a treat and very accurate.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon May 15, 2017 4:46 pm

I find the sink with a little water in it is a good level indicator.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon May 15, 2017 5:07 pm

whisky glass does it for me, while the contents last that is!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon May 15, 2017 5:45 pm

The real McCoy though is a set of ramps I read about somewhere that have Bluetooth feedback to the cab. You drive up them and are told, by a voice in the cab, where exactly to stop to have a level van. 

I can think of a dozen ways they could go wrong but it's a nice try and useful for those travelling on their own.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm

I just drive on to pitch, switch off plug in EHU if using then sit down with a drink, and survey the site. easy peasy, I can tell if it is " sitting right " was  on the  very slightest  slope last week, hardly noticeable, no problem.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

I also wouldn't be without my levelling ramps. Ok, they take up a lot of room, but they're kept in a waterproof bag in the bathroom when travelling. We stay on lots of aires and other out of the way places, level they are usually not! So long as we're near enough level fore and aft, side to side is not such a problem as we just reverse the direction we sleep in the double bed, heads always higher.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon May 15, 2017 7:35 pm

We use Fiamma level up ramps . Saying that havent had to use them in 16 months. Usually try shuffling the van about the pitch or as recently happened asked to be moved as caravans either side were sitting with hitch  buried in ground and wheels on 18'' blocks of wood ie really sloping pitch!
         Ramps are handy when all else fails but we survived for years with some 6x2 wood blocks which could be arranged to suit requirements - cost nill! Plenty of phone apps available to give bulls eye type spirit levels to check or just use what feels right.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Tue May 16, 2017 8:03 am

We carry cheap Fiamma ramps in our Symbol. We driving round a site several times for the Ayatola to find the pitch with the best view. I have pointed out to her previously that she is happy to pass several very level pitches but the one she picks is sloping!! It is then up to me to attempt to get the van levelish  
  Hi-Five
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 pm

We also carry the Fiamma levelling blocks, and stow them in the passenger side step well, one horizontal, one vertical.

If we cannot get the van level then we always try to be 'feet low' when sleeping. T'other way on isn't much fun. How much slope can we tolerate? Well if the toilet lid and seat will stay up in the raised position then that's fine on all counts. If not then the slope is too great for us and relocation is necessary for a decent night's sleep.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Horobi Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 am

For our symphony we have the basic grey fiamma ramps.We aren't fussy by any means and sleep across the van with our heads at the high end of the bed on a slight side slope but sometimes, especially on CLs or Cornish cliff tops there is no alternative to some levelling.

The Fiamma level up kit is only 1.45 kg, that isn't heavy. It will also fit under the sliding drawer in the left cupboard that is under the bench seat on a Symphony. this is where ours usually reside. Also fit in the bit under the single seat (although we don't have the drawer in this as we use it for shoes/heater and or BBQ or wellys depending on the weather. I hate things not having a place and don't want to have to shuffle stuff around just to use the loo! I can see the back of the wardrobe working too. I think layout wise the Symbol is pretty similar  so you'd probably find many options to hide them.
Horobi
Horobi

Male

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next