The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warm water

+5
Kingham
Askit
inspiredron
-mojo-
dbroada
9 posters

Go down

Warm water Empty Warm water

Post by dbroada Sun May 07, 2017 9:00 pm

As you probably know, the Nuevo has a warm water (Eco) and hot water setting. When either of these is selected the water symbol flashes until it reaches the desired temp at which point the symbol displays steady. When we arrive on site and plug in I usually select warm water and after not took long we have warm water available. That is where it stays unless we have some heavy washing up to do.

Today Heather complained that the water wasn't very warm but I disagreed, the symbol was solid. Unfortunately a quick feel of the water confirmed that it was me that was wrong. I turned the setting to hot and immediately back to warm and the symbol started flashing, exactly how it normally works.

Has this ever happened to you? Is it a known feature? In the big scheme of things this is not a hardship but it's still annoying. Yet another thing to remember. I wonder what this new remember will push out.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Warm water Empty Re: Warm water

Post by -mojo- Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm

It may just be hysteresis in the system, depending on the sensitivity of the sensor that turns the heat on and off. All such systems have to have this to a lesser or greater degree so that heater is not constantly switching on and off. Is it possible that you happened to test the water at the lowest temperature in its cycle, just before it was due to fire up and heat again?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm

-mojo- wrote:It may just be hysteresis in the system, depending on the sensitivity of the sensor that turns the heat on and off. All such systems have to have this to a lesser or greater degree so that heater is not constantly switching on and off. Is it possible that you happened to test the water at the lowest temperature in its cycle, just before it was due to fire up and heat again?
Maybe, but since I could put my hand in it, it was very much cooler than usual.

It could also be a one off. The fact it is back to normal is good enough for me (for now).

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 pm

And I've just realised the room heater has done the same. Set for 18 but definitely colder than that in here. Set to 25, heater starts so turn back to 18 and pleasant warm draft appears.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun May 07, 2017 11:36 pm

You have the new control system. On my "Nuevo" I have the two rotary dial controls.  With those I MUST turn the heating/water heating to OFF and then back on again if there has been any interruption to either 12V (eg starting the engine) or mains supply.  That safety feature prevents me from using the event timer control on the Sargent EC328 control panel from turning heating or hot water on at a pre-determined time.  The event timer can be used to turn the lights on if we are out - but why would I want to do that?

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon May 08, 2017 8:15 am

Dave, we were told, during our handover, to use the 40c setting in summer and the 60c in winter for hot water. Like you I set it on 40c and the water can be cool/warm or warm/hot depending on when we use it. Same goes for the van heating, we set it for 17c and that is usually plenty warm enough for us (after 10 or 15 mins). We have clock with a built in gauge which often suggests it's a couple of degrees warmer than that though  scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Dave,

My control sounds the same as yours and I usually use the Eco setting, but have noticed there are times when the water is considerably cooler than others.

I don't know if it is the same with the heating as other than a test of it in Ayr a couple of weeks ago, I haven't needed it on since getting the van. 

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Dave, We have the same system as you..'eco' or 'hot'. I've noticed something similar to your experience on several occasions this last fortnight whilst away. 
We had some cold nights and I therefore programmed the heating to cut in (not the water) if the inside temperature dropped to 12 degrees. If the heating had cut in during the night, when I turned the water setting to 'eco' first thing the next morning, the symbol would be stable indicating that the water was already at that temperature! I assumed at first that because the heating had been on during the night there was a residual heat effect on the water as well but the water was actually nowhere near being hot. I had to turn it to 'hot' for a while and then it was fine. If the van heating had NOT been on and I then selected 'eco'  for the water, the symbol would flash and when it was stable the water was hot. All of this was whilst using electric only.  
Mojo's theory seems to be the likeliest cause.
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon May 08, 2017 4:27 pm

merv wrote:Mojo's theory seems to be the likeliest cause.
Or like too many gadgets these days, it's far more complicated than it need be.

Just because it can be done is not always a good reason for doing it! shrugg

What was wrong with a neat row of switches? If one broke you just pulled it out and wound the wires together. If one of these fancy panels packs in you are utterly stumped. I suppose it's called progress, and it's great while it works . . . after spending three hours with the handbook to find out how to set it!! snigger

The Luddites weren't all bad! biggrin
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Mon May 08, 2017 5:03 pm

We get exactly the same it seems that the high /low setting is far apart I do wonder if it's deliberate as there have been problems with element burn out. Like others we just switch up for a short while or just use hot only which brings heater back on.  On gas only at present since marquise broke part of system on hab check.  I wait for answers and repair
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 pm

It sounds like what us hardware engineers describe as a software fault or what software engineers describe as working as designed. The heaters appear to turn off correctly on the way up but don't reset on the way down.

I accept that these should not be coincident but last night the gap was too wide. Now I know it happens I will take my Android tablet to bed with me and make full use of my Truma iNet box to turn these things on while under the duvet.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon May 08, 2017 8:51 pm

With regard to summer setting of water at 40 degrees, this is never hot enough to assure efficient washing up so always set to 60. During winter use, we have on occasions had to increase thermostat setting even more to activate the blown air heating even when showing say 23 degrees. Assume must be the way it is designed to operate?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down