The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exterior Fridge Vents

+11
pstallwood
Maasai Warrior
logburner
Paramedic
MelB
Cymro
inspiredron
rogerblack
Jaytee
Paulmold
Gromit
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exterior Fridge Vents Empty Exterior Fridge Vents

Post by Guest Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Had the van's habitation inspection today by an approved mobile workshop technician, when he removed the fridge vents he was surprised there were no fly screens fitted.

On previous van's they have been fitted, should all fridge vent's have these?

He also said the fridge should be properly room sealed (gas operation), this one clearly wasn't, anyone else noticed this?

Also the CO2 alarm should be fitted 150mm from the ceiling, not flush to it as on this van.

On previous Hab inspections by Marquis, none of these issues ever mentioned!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Exterior Fridge Vents Empty Re: Exterior Fridge Vents

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Milhouse wrote:Had the van's habitation inspection today by an approved mobile workshop technician, when he removed the fridge vents he was surprised there were no fly screens fitted.

On previous van's they have been fitted, should all fridge vent's have these? Ours hasn't! Dead easy to glue onto the back of the louvres if you want them.

He also said the fridge should be properly room sealed (gas operation), this one clearly wasn't, anyone else noticed this? Common fault, not only with A/S, or indeed motorhomes. Caravans often suffer the same potentially dangerous fault. Ours is pretty good, though not perfect.

Also the CO2 alarm should be fitted 150mm from the ceiling, not flush to it as on this van. Don't think this is critical, as if the gas rises it will get there soon enough. Did you mean CO (carbon monoxide) though? Carbon Dioxide is heavier than air. Carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air, but in any case thermal convection currents will move gases around the room.

On previous Hab inspections by Marquis, none of these issues ever mentioned! No surprise there then!!!
Nothing there that would worry me unduly, though I think I would look at the fridge housing seal. It may or may not be dangerous, but it could bring in nasty niffs if the wind is in the right (or wrong Whistle1 ) direction.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Had several caravans and fridges were never sealed. Our Nuevo was also not sealed. The fridge had to be removed for a new element to be fitted and the mobile engineer has sealed it now with clear silicon. It can only be removed now by cutting through the silicon with a razor blade. No draughts now though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for replies, apologies, I did mean CO.

There were a couple of other minor jobs to do, nothing serious.  I presume the fly screens are easy to get hold of?

Still miffed with Marquis for not noticing these issues, considering how much they charge for their service!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm

The installation manual does state that the fridge should be sealed in with a foam seal. As you've mentioned to ensure no CO ingress and of course the cold wind.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Milhouse wrote: I presume the fly screens are easy to get hold of?
What fly screens?

I've never seen one fitted to the fridge vents so can't help there.

I wouldn't bother trying to find bespoke ones though, as they are bound to cost far more than they are worth. Just get some nylon mesh from an ironmonger and a tube of glue. Cut to size and stick on the inside of the vents. That way if you need to remove the vents you can do so easily, as the fly screen comes off with them rather than as a fiddly separate item.

It does occur to me to ask why fly screens would be fitted to the vents in any case, since they give access only to the rear of the fridge, which is (in theory shrugg ) sealed from the interior. scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 pm

They were fitted on ours and are useful for keeping bugs and spiders out of the burner where for some reason they seem to like to nest shrugg.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Our fridge wasn't sealed and hence we had cold draughts, especially if the wind was blowing onto that side of the 'van, so I sealed it all around on the inside with clear silicon, which will have to be cut through in the hopefully unlikely event of it ever needing to be removed.

This is our third motorhome and none of them has ever had flyscreens under the external fridge vents - as Dave reasons above, why would they need them?  Bear in mind fitting any mesh fine enough to stop small bugs such as midges will result in reducing the open cross-sectional area and hence impede cooling, which may cause problems in warmer weather, especially if dust and fluff is drawn in by the convection current and clogs them.

I suppose there is always a chance of spiders getting in through the vent grille and building webs, or even worse wasps building a nest, but it's no big deal to remove the grilles now and then to check and if need be remove anything untoward.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Gromit wrote:
Milhouse wrote: I presume the fly screens are easy to get hold of?
What fly screens?

I've never seen one fitted to the fridge vents so can't help there.

I wouldn't bother trying to find bespoke ones though, as they are bound to cost far more than they are worth. Just get some nylon mesh from an ironmonger and a tube of glue. Cut to size and stick on the inside of the vents. That way if you need to remove the vents you can do so easily, as the fly screen comes off with them rather than as a fiddly separate item.

It does occur to me to ask why fly screens would be fitted to the vents in any case, since they give access only to the rear of the fridge, which is (in theory shrugg ) sealed from the interior. scratch head
Oh dear, Dave.  We have both fly screens and a fridge that is properly sealed from the interior. Ours is a 2012.  Warranty repair perhaps?

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:06 am

Probably A/S penny pinching again Ron - or their infamous lack of quality control.

As many of us can attest, they produce what is basically a cracking good van, but spoil it by lack of care and attention to detail.

The problem is that most of us are geriatrics (give or take a gammy knee or a tin hip) and we love to recall the halcyon days when things were done proper, like!! rolleyes

Or perhaps we are looking back through rose coloured eyeballs in our dotage? Whistle1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 am

Problem for us more mature in years Dave is we 'expect' things to be done properly and are more often than not disappointed. tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:21 am

Share your analysis, Gromit!

What's disappointing is how the trends seem to be diverging: a few decades ago motor cars used to be prone to rust and mechanical weaknesses, but these days there's precious little one can, or needs to, do to a modern car to keep it going. (Indeed, I gather from chatting to my contemporary wrinklies that it seems that our offspring do nothing to their cars until a warning light tells them to inflate tyres / add oil, add windscreen fluid, change pads etc etc.)

But for modern motorhomes (well, at least those by A-S) the owner needs to be able and prepared to carry out quite a bit of DiY repairs and maintenance.  I just don't accept that it's all because a motorhome is so complex. It's more to do with sourcing the cheapest components and with poor design.

The driving force (no pun intended) in pushing up quality in cars was undoubtedly competition. Oddly, there's also competition amongst marques of motorhomes. Whether that'll drive the inefficient and the deteriorating quality manufacturers out of business remains to be seen. I note that A-S was recently taken over....

PS: Sorry, Admin, but I've wandered off the topic of fridge vents....

Last edited by Cymro on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Footnote apology added)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Fridge was foam sealed and fly screens fitted behind the fridge vents when the 2014 Kemerton was purchased. I've been told on the forum that the fly screens can rattle when driving but luckily not for me.
Mel
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:07 am

Yes there are fly screens behind the vents on our van. Needed to confirm as previous Nuevo and Broadway had them also. Can't remember which van including the present whereby I had to stop them rattling. May I suggest that if you don't have them, then you possibly have been robbed of essential components. I state this after calculating the total area of venting through the side wall being equivalent say by your roof light being left permanently open by a couple of inches. Therefore it doesn't need much imagination to realise how easily insects and other debris could get inside.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Shall have to check mine, although I expect the floor vents under the the fridge will let in spiders anyway. shrugg
Must look, see, if fridge is sealed from inside van, as don't do drafts.  hugegrins   Checks, checks, and more checks.   :scratch head:Shall have to see if I can actually get away and use the van....
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 pm

March 2015 Nuevo: no fly screens in fridge vents.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:06 am

Fridge vent fly screens supplied with our 2014 Broadway EB. Earlier this month we had the cracked vents replaced with the improved version, hopefully the slightly raised damp readings will start to recede now, though I will keep a check on it!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Where you don't have fly screens with your slightly later 2015 reg Nuevos, might it be worthwhile to enquire with A/S as to reason why? Surely, or......perhaps not, they could have been accidentally forgotten at the build stage? shrugg

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:13 am

I have put the question to A/S and waiting for Mark Burdett to get back to me, he did ask whether we had a Dometic or Thetford fridge fitted so will be interested to see what their response is.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 am

Milhouse wrote:I have put the question to A/S and waiting for Mark Burdett to get back to me, he did ask whether we had a Dometic or Thetford fridge fitted so will be interested to see what their response is.
He's on holiday this week. Back next week I think.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am

Yes he is Gromit, said he would get back to me next week
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am

Finally received a reply from A-S Homologation Engineer. Apparently Thetford have never fitted flyscreens to their fridge vents, Dometic used to but haven't done so for some time.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 am

Milhouse wrote:Finally received a reply from A-S Homologation Engineer. Apparently Thetford have never fitted flyscreens to their fridge vents, Dometic used to but haven't done so for some time.
Thought so, but wasn't 100% certain.

Thanks Milhouse. smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am

Gromit wrote:
Milhouse wrote:Finally received a reply from A-S Homologation Engineer. Apparently Thetford have never fitted flyscreens to their fridge vents, Dometic used to but haven't done so for some time.
Thought so, but wasn't 100% certain.

Thanks Milhouse. smile!
I have a Thetford fridge, I assume Thetford vents AND flyscreens which are obviously part of the vents.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed May 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Mine must have been one of the last then. Dometic and flyscreens allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male