The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOT today

+6
CC
whisky
chrisvesey
burlingtonboaby
deckie
Paulmold
10 posters

Go down

MOT today Empty MOT today

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:46 am

I hate MOT time, always compare it with a visit to the dentist.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

MOT today Empty Re: MOT today

Post by deckie Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 am

Paulmold wrote:I hate MOT time, always compare it with a visit to the dentist.

Good Luck Paul !!

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

MOT today Empty MOT today

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 am

Hi, Hope you pass, looks a nice van.
Good luck

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:05 am

Hi,
Nearly every time I get an advisory on wheel bearings shrugg(nothing wrong with them) not always the same wheel, possibly they are used to cars with smaller wheels or tighter tolerances, it's been every time for the last five years and it's only done 18,000 miles. Probably won't look good when I sell it so will have to have an AA inspection done I suppose,
Regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

MOT today Empty Re: MOT today.

Post by whisky Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Strange you should say that Chris V.
I get exactly the same and have done for the last 3 MOT's.
Also with mine it mysteriously changed wheels. I have checked and checked and can't find anything wrong with them. (both sides)
Will wait until it fails then I'll do it.
Whisky. shrugg

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:55 pm

A common theme appears to be forming here. 2 years ago I got the advisory about nearside front wheelbearing 'slight play'. Last year exactly the same. Didn't do anything about it on either occasion. Now for todays result - PASSED - advisory 'nearside...... (wait for it).... tyre, edge worn', no mention of the bearing so I mentioned it and was told ' very , very slight play, wouldn't bother about it'.
Anyway, thats out of the way for another year, thanks for the good wishes Brian & Boaby.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I've been getting an advisory on my work van (Transit Connect) that the front brake disks are corroded on the outer edge, they said last year & the year before they will need replacing, yet the last MOT was just before Xmas and they passed it again with the same advisory (now 3rd time it's been issued) I wonder if they have to find so many advisories maybe to make things look like they are being thorough? Bit annoying as I could have had this work carried out 2-3 yrs ago unnecessarily so doubt I'll have it done now until they actually fail it...

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

MOT today Empty Re: M.O.T. today.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:30 pm

When purchased, I too had an MOT advisory for front wheel bearings on our Symph, this is based on a 1999 'S' reg Boxer. The total milage to then was 41k.
This year I will take it to my local mechanic who I have 'trusted' for years, (provided it will fit into his workshop height wise.) At an expected milage of around 42k minimum it will be interesting to see what he finds!
I'll let you know in October.
shrugg
Mike.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:43 am

Had a large vw garagem mot my old clubman, they said, your brake cylinders are alright at the moment, but will need fixing next year.
Took it back to them the next year, didn't mention the cylinders, what a surprise, it passed, no mention of brakes.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

MOT today Empty Re: M.O.T. today.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:49 pm

It just makes one wonder. It must be just down to the individual 'fitter's interpretation. Or more likely how much profit the garage has made lately. (Sorry I'm a born pessimist.)
Suspect
Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

MOT today Empty MOT Wheel bearings

Post by Terry Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:17 pm

I've been worried by wheel bearing issues on previous MOT's that came with the Harmony and was on the point of considering replacement, however there was no mention this time maybe because the garage does vans ?
I have to say I'm relieved to hear that 'false negatives' doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem and when I had the tyres changed last month there was no mention of them either (recommend Uni-Royal Rain Max 2's by the way).
Now that the Harmony is on Airide and de-squeaked and de-rattled I can hear a faint metallic sound on braking when the engine is cold- should I be worried ?
Paul- Hope the MOT went OK.

Last edited by Terry on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Selfishly missed an essential comment at the end)
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:33 am

breakaleg wrote:Had a large vw garagem mot my old clubman, they said, your brake cylinders are alright at the moment, but will need fixing next year.
Took it back to them the next year, didn't mention the cylinders, what a surprise, it passed, no mention of brakes.
Pete

Seeing as how they are not allowed to dismantle anything for the MOT, how could they tell the brake cylinders, hidden inside the drums, would need replacing? They cannot have examined them so it must have been a case of assuming that if the van is X years old or has done Y miles the cylinders must be replaced whether they need it or not.

I've been going to the same place for years to get my MOTs done and any jobs I cannot / don't want to do myself. I trust him and he trusts me. When my van is being tested, I go round with the tester as he is doing the tests. I get any "verbal advisories" there and then along with advice about righting any wrongs. This year (just before Christmas) there was some very slight play in one rear wheel bearing that "wasn't enough to worry about", but he knows damn well that the van will have have new ones fitted on both sides by the next MOT. smile!

It is still like going to the dentist though snigger

Last edited by boxerman on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a werd out)
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 am

Interesting thread.

I too have been having these advisories, which change with the years, but I think I will ignore them now. The last was one the front rubber gaiters covering the bearings was perished.

I asked my local VW garage to look at changing them, but they didn't, so they can't have been all that bad.

It is after all the examiners opinion on the day & he can be wrong.

I had the nearside front wheel bearing replaced as it becoame very noisy, but the VW garage I used although I pointed it out at service time about a noise coming from the front, they missed it.

I had to take it back a week later when it was much worce.

They then said, oh its the wheel bearing, like it was so obvious. Yeh right.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:57 am

Terry wrote:Now that the Harmony is on Airide and de-squeaked and de-rattled I can hear a faint metallic sound on braking when the engine is cold- should I be worried ?

If it was me, the first thing I'd do would be to check that the brake pads and shoes aren't down to the metal. There are supposed to be sensors in the pads to tell you when they're worn to the limit but the wires on mine have a nasty habit of breaking.
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down