The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie needs list

+2
burlingtonboaby
daisy mae
6 posters

Go down

Newbie needs list Empty Newbie needs list

Post by Guest Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:30 pm

New to motorhoming after camping and campervanning and looking for suggestions for accessories and must haves. Tx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs list Empty Re: Newbie needs list

Post by daisy mae Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Perhaps a good idea to go on a few trips first, then decide what you want / need, a lot of accessories end up at the back of the shed or in the loft. plus the weight  to consider, it all adds up.
Happy camper

Regards,
Margaret

Essentials, hose for filling fresh water tank, unless you have the new  gismo, Electric Up Cable, there is a list on the forum somewhere and you can take your pick from that . a few tools, kettle.  water containers, I have 2 x 5litres for drinking ,water out of the tank, is  for washing, shower, washing pots, hot drinks,

I also have a wheeled waste water container, saves moving the van, washing tablets for loo.loo paper, kitchen rolls. or perhaps you were thinking of gadgets.? the list is endless, depends how far you want to go with it.

I consider a twin reversing camera, also a sat nav. essential.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Essentials/ waste container)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Tx Margaret You mention "hose for filling fresh water tank, unless you have the new  gismo" - what's the gismo?
and what is an Electric Up Cable?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:43 pm

jes2017 wrote:Tx Margaret You mention "hose for filling fresh water tank, unless you have the new  gismo" - what's the gismo?
and what is an Electric Up Cable?

The new vans have a water filling system like they have on caravans,  pump water in from a container, a lot of complaints on the forum about them, one or two like them, search for water filling and it should come up, will explain better than I can, I consider it a back ward step, have a caravan which I think there is too much faffing about with them, and this water filling system comes into that category. Life is much easier with a MH , I have a food grade ( blue ) hose, bought a motor home show, attach to tap and just fill tank with water, I stop when the water runs out of the vents then I know it is full, I travel with a full tank, I fill up at home, then top up when camping  with a watering can, every other day., or as required.

Sorry that should have been electric hook up cable, so that you can plug your van into  the electric on site or at home, I keep my van on EHU  at home, I have the blue ( arctic ) cable, a bit lighter and easier to coil up after use than the usual orange one. the thicker  cable is the one to go for, 2.5mm isn`t enough, 5mm is the usual one.

You will find lots of help and advice on this very friendly forum, just ask and someone will reply, maybe not straight the way ,when I first had a van I had lots of help from this forum , everyone has to start somewhere, and I find there is always something to learn no matter how long you have been camping, I was a tenter,  then caravans for decades, now love motor homes, life is so much easier just drive up switch off,  kettle on or open a bottle, all within minutes.

Enjoy
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:23 am

Tx to all
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs list Empty Welcome and Whale

Post by ymfb1 Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:07 am

Welcome from South Wiltshire.

I think what daisy mae Is referring to is a “whale” system filling device.  They are a device to allow you to fill up fresh water without carrying or even holding a hose.  The fill time maybe longer, but it allows you to do other things whilst your fresh water is managing itself.

Enjoy.
ymfb1
ymfb1

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by ymfb1 Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:53 am

The list of things we added to our MoHo

Outside furniture 
Wind break
Ground sheet
Wind out Awning
Awning tie downs
A few spares, fuses
Tool kit
Extended Electric cable and hose with adaptors
Gas adaptors if going overseas
Journal to write down things to do and service items
TV and radio
ymfb1
ymfb1

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 am

Welcome to motorhoming, you’ll have many happy trips ahead. As for equipment, you’ll figure much of it out as you go along. Stuff such as bedding, kitchen equipment will be obvious and a personal choice. We always have one eye on weight when buying anything as they all add and you can quickly reach the payload.

On the bedding subject check out Duvalays which are very popular among motorhomers. 

If you intend to use your van outside summer I believe external windscreen blinds are essential. They prevent condensation and help the van to retain heat. The main manufacturers are Silver Screens and Taylormade-both have websites. 

Good luck, H

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:56 am

You say you are ex caravaners, therefore you will have most of what you need already. Just don't go buying things because you think they will be ok for the MH. Many extra bits and pieces eventually get discarded. Our rule is, if not used in the last six months, leave it out.

Payload will also have to be taken into account, this will govern what you can and can't take. Different times of the year will require different things we find.

Just take what you need, not what you think you will need and travel light. We have learnt this over many years of using a MH.

Hope this helps.wave

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:02 am

Hopefully, since the original request was back in April 2017, she'll have got what she needs by now. 
Good refresh for other newbies nonetheless.  up!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am

Didn't check the date, just followed the topic. That's my lesson for today.lol4