The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto?

5 posters

Go down

What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto? Empty What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto?

Post by Duetto 1999 Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:50 am

Hello,

Having removed my 1999 Transit based Duetto to Brittany for the winter, I am now faced with finding a propane gas bottle (or bottles) that fit in the gas bottle locker.
The locker normally houses two 3.9Kg Calor Propane (I discovered that other makes don't fit - too tall by a smidgen) which is fine in the UK but not of any use here it seems.
If I am not to freeze my socks off when out and about, I need an easily sourced replacement gas bottle (and doubtless a new regulator too)
I am sure others here must have the answer so, if you know the secret, please share! biggrin biggrin
Many thanks.

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto? Empty Re: What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto?

Post by Gromit Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:06 am

Hi

I would agree that the ease of replacement is important as you are probably more or less static in Brittany. Therefore it would be no use hearing that a Carrefour bottle would fit if there wasn't one (Carrefour that is) for miles around.

Wouldn't it be better to take the van to your nearest supermarket and trial fit a bottle or two. I've always found the assistants to be very accommodating, and you probably speak far better French than I do. If you rolled up when they are not too busy I'm sure they would help you out.

Might it also be worth getting one of these adapters so you don't have to change your regulator (If you have a bulkhead mounted one that is.)? Several French bottles use the 21.8LH thread, and £5.40 plus a bit of postage is not a big risk if it doesn't fit.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto? Empty Re: What French gas bottle(s) fit in 1999 Duetto?

Post by PASCAL Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Hello in my 1997 duetto i use the totalgaz  malice  the bottle is blue and yellow 
Regards Pascal
PASCAL
PASCAL

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : DUETTO
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:41 pm

We simply fitted the gas bottle in the wardrobe and drilled a 25 mm hole through the base to the gas locker. To secure the bottle in place, I used a strap round it to a metal plate sandwich which was bolted through the wardrobe wall and fitted behind the passenger seat (one plate in the wardrobe with the strap and the other outside the wardrobe to give strength). We did 80,000 miles like this over 7 years and used a mixture of Norwegian propane bottles and Calor 7 KG butane.

If you are concerned about fire, line the wardrobe with alloy sheet and increase the size of the hole (25 mm was OK for us). In practice the gas bottle did not affect the capacity of the wardrobe. In order to help hanging things in the wardrobe, I turned the hanging rail through 90 degrees.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Spospe wrote:We simply fitted the gas bottle in the wardrobe and drilled a 25 mm hole through the base to the gas locker.....

This seems a good idea and indeed using the wardrobe would enable installation of a much larger bottle. But on a serious note, any form of modifications made to a van must be declared to an insurance company and i have doubts any would cover for something like this. It's a serious non-standard mod and chancing not declaring it could, worst case scenario, result in your policy being voided.

The gas lockers fitted in Duetto's of this period wouldn't meet safety requirements today but back then they were compliant and standard fitment so in event of fire, no problem the insurance would be safe.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down