The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High moisture reading under sink.

+14
Eltel
KMRTOPAZ
logburner
daisy mae
artheytrate
Paramedic
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
Pete Taylor
Maasai Warrior
rgermain
Twiggy
Gromit
Jaytee
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

High moisture reading under sink. - Page 2 Empty Re: High moisture reading under sink.

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:37 am

Flippin heck Jaytee, you have it worse than we have. We had to set up a pump just in case it happened again while I was working on it and, having a concrete raft as foundations 3ft down below our floorboards didn't help, as it gave us an indoor swimming pool! The trouble is water finds its own lowest level, and legally there is nothing you can do. Even building a boundary wall as a defence is deemed as affecting your neighbour's property, so I had no choice. Wasn't cheap either but gives us peace of mind when we go off for weeks in the motorhome!

Sorry moderators, this is where this going 'off topic' ends!  allthumbz

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

High moisture reading under sink. - Page 2 Empty Re: High moisture reading under sink.

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:37 am

Being the OP I'm ok hugegrins. Our flood doesn't affect the house so not as bad. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks Pete we are starting back for home tomorrow 1st November, the damp patch is at the side of the bench toilet right across to the chest of drawers. Hope your water problem is now solved after all your hard work.
Cheers,
John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi John, good to hear from you.

If the damp patch extends to the chest of drawers, I assume the seal round the bathroom window has failed somewhere. Hope you manage to discover the source of the ingress and that you get it sorted soon at A/S. As we both know from our joint experiences, Mark is your best bet. I will check mine soon and let you know.

Take care travelling, may catch up with you one day!

Best wishes

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:20 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Pete Taylor wrote:
Masai Warrior wrote:Well done Peter, brilliant job on that plastic pipe. Perhaps we should send the A/S factory a couple of plastic pipe cutters. No doubt we would have to send them instructions on how to use them! 
I am no plumber but I managed to install my central heating 25 years ago, cutting 15mm, 22mm and 28mm copper piping to perfection with ease. Also installed our own bathrooms and toilets over the years, making perfect clean plastic joints every time. It is really not rocket science to do the job properly especially as if you are doing it every day like the A/S factory are.

Marks comments to us regarding issues with our van, was that he was 'fire fighting'!

Pete
Disappointing, eh?
Given the cost of these vans and the publicity hype which A-S churn out, one might expect the CEO of the company to spend ten minutes per day reading this forum. Does anyone have his/her contact details?
This may reach MD Mike Crouch. http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=b-782316
Thanks for the link. I have e-mailed the MD asking him to read this thread and get back to me. I have also suggested that someone from A-S ought to regularly read the forum, as over the past couple of years there have been quite a few "no more A-S for us" good-byes.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Update: I wrote to the MD and have now received a reply from Alan Curry, who many of you will know, the Customer Services Manager (from past experience a more helpful bloke you would go a long way to find). I asked if anyone from A-S ever read these forums, here is the reply:

Thank you for your recent message.

In answer to you question about Auto-Sleepers routinely reading the various forums and blogs on the internet the short answer is that we don’t.  Our company policy is to conduct our customers business in private.  If an Auto-Sleeper owner needs help we would advise them to contact their supplying dealer who is there to support him, if the dealer needs help, he will contact us and together we will resolve the issue for the user.

With regards to the plumbing issue you speak about if you would like to provide some additional details – for example the vehicles Auto-Sleeper Serial Number - so that I can verify both your and the vehicles identity, and let me have copies of the photographs I will pass these to our Design, Production and Quality teams.

I can assure you that we are always grateful to users who provide this sort of information.  Obviously we are always disappointed to hear things have gone wrong, but, if we are told about it, we can at least act to prevent a reoccurrence or, in the case of poor practice, improve our processes.

I responded to Alan just now, giving him the info requested, a link to this thread and a suggestion that it might be worthwhile someone at the factory spending a day reading the forum, where they would quickly see that while most of us are pleased with the design of the vans, this is often let down by rushed/shoddy/uncaring detail assembly.
I also pointed out that whilst our contract is with the dealer, many of us have had less than perfect experiences and found it easier to fix little things ourselves, rather than have to take the van in for a day and also that some of us have found that the dealer has shown no interest, once the purchase cheque has cleared.

I hope that is OK with everybody and look forward to hearing from you folks but also from A-S. up!

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Good stuff Pete but a little disappointing that they don't review 'their' products forum. They can read it in 'private' surely shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Jaytee wrote:Good stuff Pete but a little disappointing that they don't review 'their' products forum. They can read it in 'private' surely shrugg
Indeed! Perhaps we need a new (sticky) thread with the link to the MD's ear? This one is kind of hidden away.

It is shocking that folks who buy a £40-£80k product "with issues" are directed to complain via third-party "dealers".

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:40 am

Just read your threads Pete, well done. As for AS conducting their business in private and not looking at forums and blog sites, well it is only the AS forum that should be looked at and they don't have to comment on threads, they just need to follow up on our concerns of poor workmanship in their factory. The AS forum is likened to an Autosleeper family of people keen to improve the AS product for our benefit (and ultimately AS's profits!). You would think that AS would wholeheartedly support this connection with their customers to maintain their future in a very competitive motorhome market. As I have said before, we love our 2014 Broadway EB motorhome, but we would never want to go through the two year 'teething period' again so we will never buy a new motorhome again from AS. This thread could affect other potential buyers. Surely this is not what AS wants to hear.

I am sure we will adding threads to this forum in the future as we encounter other issues with our van. Things are good at the moment but from the experiences of others on this great forum, sadly I cannot relax!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:34 am

As you say Pete; am absolutely delighted with our van 'now' but don't know what I would have done without this forum as many of the 'niggles' I have encountered would have proved difficult to solve without it.

Last edited by Jaytee on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling.)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Completely agree with you Jaytee. Great forum, great people. 

We help each other.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Have just finished modifying the sink drain (now out if warranty) and have got some 'drop'. Drains much better AND the joints are all tight! allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:36 am

I have received a comprehensive reply from Alan Curry at A-S. He tells me that A-S do not routinely look at this forum.
In summary his advice is to take up any issues regarding build-quality with the supplying dealer, in the first instance and if agreement/satisfaction cannot be reached, to contact A-S, who will discuss the issues with the dealer, with the aim of reaching an equitable solution.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:01 am

How very short sighted of them. This forum must present an enormous opportunity to improve their product. When I had my business I would have relished this sort of feedback.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:54 am

Yes, the 'Consumer Act' refers to the retailer being the first point of contact on warranty issues. However, wouldn't it be points scoring for the wider reputation of Autosleepers if it readily joined the discussion process on issues identified through this forum as part of their quality control measures. Not suggesting that every complaint or problem lies with them but simply being alert to the feedback of owners in the 'real time' scenario?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:25 am

Alan Curry pointed out to me that this is not the only Motorhome forum on the internet and it would be impossible for them to monitor all of them, a valid point. However, as far as I am aware, this is the only forum exclusively dedicated to A-S; I wonder if the "management" of this forum might be able to instigate some sort of formal relationship with the manufacturer, as there does not appear to be anything in place.

With regard to the specific difficulties described at the top of this forum, they are going to ensure that pipes are cut off square and de-burred using sandpaper.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Have to agree with Pete, with regards motorhome forums.....its not rocket science, to realise that an Autosleeper forum is dedicated only to the users of this particular make, in general....allthumbz ....nobody is suggesting that they troll through reams of posts from other manufacturers, on general motorhome forums. scratch head it would only take a short time for somebody there, to scan through daily, to see if anything mentioned, was solely manufacturing shortcomings, as opposed to dealer mess ups... shrugg
Seems logical to me...but then, I'm the product of an ancient, common sense, forward looking, generation, that didn't look around for someone else to blame for our own shortcomings, you were responsible for your own mistakes, and you sorted them. hugegrins hugegrins
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

High moisture reading under sink. - Page 2 Empty Habitation check yesterday reveals 30% damp

Post by Paramedic Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:49 am

Paramedic wrote:On our first outing in the van last March, surprised to discover wet carpet immediately behind driver's seat. Initially believed it to be water that had run off from extendable ladder (stored behind seat) after washing the roof. Fortunately this narrow piece of carpet was easily dried outside. Subsequent examination the carpet was wet again and further search under off side seating revealed a puddle (cup full) of water. It appeared to be a first occurrence in this two year old van as there was no evidence of lasting mould or any overt damage to floor surface. We looked on when taking on water from external pump and no leak but switched it off before tank was full. Contacted Mark Burdett who, quote.....'Please keep an eye on the water system when filling as when the tank is full,a float switch inside the tank should terminate the 12 volt feed to the filling point and shut off the solenoid. If I remember correctly, we have had one or two instances where the pressure has developed a small leak when the system is pressurized'. It seems we were lucky that the previous owner had never filled the van with either short or longer external hoses as they presented like new still sealed in their respective packaging. The experience has taught us to regularly check all internal plumbing as the system appears to have been installed somewhat in a hurry. It is a little frustrating that we have to  judge when to turn off pump rather than let it do so automatically. Overall we are very happy with this van as there has been no other problems with quality of build as highlighted by other owners on this forum. Erm, fingers crossed. Oh! Almost forgot, engine conked out when driving up steep hill soon after leaving campsite. RAC quick to respond and after short inspection deduced it was a sticking contact in the emissions system and immediately rectified it with a tap of his screwdriver, no problem since.
Yesterday damp reading under offside bench seat and sink reads 30%. Despite our best efforts to monitor any leaks when taking on water, flooding was discovered under sink on one of our trips last summer. How long it had been there is unknown but sufficient to do it's worse and absorb into floor and along lower wall. Obviously on that occasion we were parked where the water had flowed in the opposite direction as previously. The inspection revealed a lot of tension on the push fit pipe couplings due to part of the horizontal plumbing being too long. A 3cm piece had to be cut off that allowed the whole fitment to present properly. Despite this correction, a leak still accrued likely due to the stress (since the build) over the past three years. With this, it's back to the dealer under warranty on Friday to replace damaged parts and presumably monitor damp readings thereafter. All this aggravation and damage due to sloppy workmanship.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 am

On a lighter note, with your forbearance !  I think AS technicians fail to understand a fact pointed out to me by my (then) five year old daughter when she observed that "Water is very thin".
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

Hi KMRTOPAZ, a most delightful reply extolling the sweet innocence of children. Unfortunately, due to incompetence, the brand reputation and our pride of ownership has been tarnished. Regards

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Is the high moisture level under the sink across all the Autosleeper range?

How far does it date back?

And are new vans still having the same problems?

Eltel
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Eltel wrote:Is the high moisture level under the sink across all the Autosleeper range? No

How far does it date back? N/A

And are new vans still having the same problems? N/A

Eltel

Some vans develop leaks and/or have damp problems but it is a small percentage, of course some of the problems are very bad and get the equivalent in 'press'.

On my house I have a plastic bay window under a GRP canopy sealed in with lead flashing. I have tried sealing it and have had two professionals, at it but when the wind is in a certain direction water comes through and wets the blinds - that's life!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi Peter

I am well aware of moisture problems in caravans, Motorhomes as well as houses.
I've been a caravaner/Motorhome owner for over 30 years.
In fact my last Knaus van after two years had to have major work with moisture issues.

What I was trying to identify, as my question was is it across all the Autosleepers range, or certain models and and years.

Thanks
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Eltel wrote:Is the high moisture level under the sink across all the Autosleeper range?

How far does it date back?

And are new vans still having the same problems?

Eltel

In a word - "No".
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next