The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kemerton 2012 TV aerial

+5
Paulmold
Kingham
Peter Brown
burlingtonboaby
K & S
9 posters

Go down

Kemerton 2012 TV aerial  Empty Kemerton 2012 TV aerial

Post by K & S Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:26 am

Hi recently purchase a Kemerton 2012 model and very please with it apart from what I guess is the issue many have with poor tv reception on most of the sites I have visited in Norfolk & Suffolk. The flying saucer multi directional Status aerial does not allow me to seek the best transmissions so was considering replacing with the latest Status models that allow rotation etc. The dealer seams reluctant to fit one as the Boxer roof is "corrugated construction"  they fitted different booster but dosent appear to make any difference.
Does anybody have experence that might help please?
K & S
K & S

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Kemerton 2012 TV aerial  Empty Re: Kemerton 2012 TV aerial

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:40 pm

It helps members answer your questions if we know a bit about you and your motorhome experience, hence we ask for an introduction here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You will benefit from a directional aerial but fitting a status to a van conversion in problematic. Avtex make a highly regarded directional aerial with built in amplifier [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can also use a standard domestic yagi fixed to a pole attached too or adjacent to your van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Peter Brown wrote:............You will benefit from a directional aerial but fitting a status to a van conversion in problematic.  Avtex make a highly regarded directional aerial with built in amplifier............

Hi Peter, 

I don't want to go down the RoadPro Sat Dome route that we did on our last van and I'm looking for the best aerial for the Kingham. I have my eye on the Status 580, but alarm bells started ringing when I saw your comment !

I take it that it's not as straightforward a job, going through the roof from a cupboard, or are there other issues that make a roof mounted aerial problematic on panel vans ?

Also, I've heard reports that the Avtex is pretty poor north of the border, but I have to ask, would the Status perform any better in the wilds and northern regions of Scotland, or am I expecting too much from either system ?

Thanks, 

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:51 pm

To fit the status directional you need enough roof space around it to be able to swing through 360° above a cupboard that's deep enough to take the retractable support. That is much harder to find on a van than on a coachbuilt. You also have to keep away from any solar panel to avoid putting the panel in shade.

If you want reliable TV in the wilder regions then I'm afraid Satellite is the only option and actually a small auto dome system will be much easier to fit to the van than a status directional.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks Peter,

I think I'm going to be better off waiting in that case. I'm planning on fitting an aftermarket side loading kayak rack, which has to have priority over the roof space. Once it's fitted I'll be able to see what options, if any remain.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:39 pm

One thing that can make a big difference that I found is to make sure you use a quality fly lead, even better buy your own length of quality coaxial and put your own plugs on. Leads from places such as Poundland  are rubbish.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:47 pm

On our Nuevo we had a factory fitted Teleco wing directional aerial and 95% of the time we had excellent results. You should have no trouble in fitting that on a van conversion. We also carried a portable Multimo satellite dish for the odd occasion we had no signal.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Kemerton 2012 TV aerial  Empty Teleco Ariel Reception

Post by Martin & Pauline Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Sorry ~ a week late in seeing this about poor quality reception from the Teleco omnidirectional ariel. We had the same problem with our Warwick XL. We ordered a Status to be fitted by our dealer, who too seemed reluctant but agreed to do it. However on the day of fitting I told the technician I had read of the poor quality of wiring in AS vans, and could he please look at that first.

After an hour or so he came back to say the wiring was very awkwardly done and he could run the wire direct from the Teleco to one inside socket, and run the wire from the outside input to the satellite inside socket with an adapter to take the normal TV lead.

Since then we have made lots of trips with huge improvements in both the Teleco, and the outside input from the bollard.

The dealer did not even charge for those two hours work (thank you). He still has the Status held in stock in case we are not 100% satisfied - but so far so good.
Martin & Pauline
Martin & Pauline

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:49 pm

@ Martin & Pauline
Glad you got it sorted. I think a lot of the time bad reception is due to poor quality cabling especially tge fly lead from TV to the socket.
Teleco aerials have a good reputation and are as good if not better than Status.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi I know the problem we had it , and I ended up rewiring most thing to an acceptable standard!! A/S wiring of the TV and ancillaries is summed up in one word "BIZARRE" Kind regards youll get there we did!  Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Something to consider when being critical of the tv reception is the quality of the tv receiver. I work building boats and part of that involves installing cables and tv equipment. Typically our boats have two TV's but one Ariel, I have found that the quality of the receivers in some quite expensive sets is very poor and searching for channels on board a boat can have very different results and it is usually the tv at fault. In fact some TV's are extremely poor, and its not price dependent, I have seen very good reception with some quite cheap TV's, where expensive TV's have failed to find more than 10 or so channels.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Kemerton 2012 TV aerial  Empty Kemerton frustrations Tv and radio

Post by K & S Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:29 pm

Guys another frustrating weekend (well only as far as TVs viewing and radio is concerned)
Gave up on the factory fitted aerial as it picked up lots of tv/ radio profs, good pictures on many channels but only for about 10 seconds then froze for another 10 etc etc, radio very similar. Wonted to listen to the Ryder cup, I listened in the end to near perfect radio reception on the vehicle radio, now how does that work?
I purchased a Avtec directional one tried this, absolutely nothing!!! I am waiting for a 12 v splitter so I can power this up in case the Avtec tv is not giving out. 12 volt supply.
To cap it all the van has developed a bad leak above the rear near side door so just dropped it off at the dealers.
Guess that's camping for you, lots of pleasure interspersed with challenges.

Regards K & S
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:37 pm

K & S wrote:
I purchased a Avtec directional one tried this, absolutely nothing!!! I am waiting for a 12 v splitter so I can power this up in case the Avtec tv is not giving out. 12 volt supply.

Regards K & S

The Avtex TV can supply 12v via the aerial lead to power the Avtex aerial. You have to go into the menu system to switch it on. The aerial will not work without 12v. The Avtex independent 12v power supply can be inserted in the aerial lead to provide the same facility.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi appresiate the TVs should be putting out 12 v and I set the menu
To switch this function on. Just a remote possibility it's not hence the need for a splitter (one supplied can't reach the vans cig' socket)
Not expecting a result, but can't understand why the van radio was fine but no radio stations were found using this Avtec aerial.
As for the TV reception, no idea why I am having such issues.
Thanks for your advice, regards Keith
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:21 pm

I find this scenario very frustrating as, for a trained person, it is very easy to identify and resolve your problem but they need to be 'hands on'. Steps would be:

1 Ensure you are in an area of strong tv signal
2 connect the van tv to a known good aerial (your house) and tune it in.
3 Connect the TV direct to the van aerial without using any of the van wiring or amplifiers - if all is well then, there is a wiring/amplifier problem

A THOUGHT: if you are using an axtex powered aerial you MUST bypass the van amplifier!

If after (3) all is not well, connect another aerial temporarily located on the van. If all is then well you have an aerial problem.

If you still haven't resolved your problem then a local tv aerial installer is probably best qualified to investigate on your behalf.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks Peter, I will experiment. I didn't mention The dealers fitted a new amp' (said I didn't need a new Status type aerial) and said they had a strong reception, I don't have reason to doubt this as the TV appeared fine at handover a few weeks ago and they saved me some £300 by not replacing the aerial.

Regards Keith
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down