The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n

3 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n Empty Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n

Post by daveH Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:11 am

Morning all,

We've just purchased an Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorset ES, we previously had an Auto-Sleeper Symbol 2005.

The Dorset ES has 2 travel seats both of which fold down into beds.

Trouble is there's  not much storage space in the Dorset for quilts/pillows ext., compared with the 2005 Symbol.

Do any of you technocrats out the know if it would be possible to convert the off-side travel seat into a fixed bench seat as we had in the Symbol - this would give us much improved storage space under the bench seat.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Dave.
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Dave

Nothing is impossible, and although I don't know your van it sounds like a relatively simple job.

You may not know that A/S sell any panelling offcuts they have for a fairly reasonable price, so an investigation there might be a good start.

I would then suggest you have a look at the bed base structure on the recent Nuevos - I don't know about other small vans. A/S have gone back to a square section steel frame for both the base and lifting section. A browse over one of those with pad and tape measure should enable you to make (or have made) a suitable frame. The rest is mostly cosmetic, and I'm sure you could get the bed slats from somewhere like O'Leary's, and the cushions from A/S.

A good project. It will cost a few quid, but if you are handy you could do a lot yourself, and the improvement would be worth it.

Good luck

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Marquis Dorest ES seat convers'n

Post by daveH Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks Gromit, I think I'll contact Auto-Sleepers on Tuesday and listen to any advice they give. It may not be a complex task but the cushions and woodwork must match the present vans interior.

Dave
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryAllen Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Dave, Hi!

We've got a 2012 Marquis Dorset, not ES.  As Gromit describes, the bed frame is very simple. A fixed angle section frame supported at each end and simple "angle-iron" section supported by two legs that lifts and pulls out.  All filled out with wooden slats roughly 3" wide by 1/2" thick.  What you would have difficulty replicating is the full depth of the storage space which on ours goes probably as much as 12-15" lower than floor level.

If it would help i could take and post some photos of the arrangement in our van?

On a different matter - did your Dorset come with ALKO air top additional suspension on the rear ? 
I foolishly allowed ours to run with no air pressure in them and as a result the fixing bolts punctured the bellows. The fixing bolts had been installed incorrectly (!)  Do check the bolts are in correctly = nut away from the bellows. Probably best to keep them pressurised too!! They're going to cost me over £200 each just for new bellows plus the cost of the work to replace.  Just thought I'd mention it.

Terry
TerryAllen
TerryAllen

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down