The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water tank in trident

4 posters

Go down

Water tank in trident Empty Water tank in trident

Post by Juno5458 Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello I am new to this forum. Thankyou for the kind welcome on the introduction forum.
We have quite recently bought a T4 Trident, and went camping for 4 days in Somerset, which was great. When we used some water to fill the kettle we found that it smelled very bad indeed, something like you would smell at the bottom of a pond:) The tea tasted revolting! We emptied the tank and refilled it at a campsite and it still smelled rotten! Even too nasty to wash up in!
When we bought it it was given a full habitation service.
Would be very grateful for any ideas as to how to clean the tank. Many thanks in anticipation :)
Juno5458
Juno5458

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : VW T4

Back to top Go down

Water tank in trident Empty Re: Water tank in trident

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Hmmmmm??

If you want to drink water from the tank, there's no reason why you shouldn't in my opinion. Others will disagree, but we always have. But even with a brand new tank you need to sterilise at least once per year at the beginning of the season. Not only the tank, but the pipework too.

From what you say I would think your system has been left to fester for too long to bring it back to a condition where you would be confident to drink from it.

You may fetch it back, and it's certainly worth a try, specially as it will cost only a few pounds. You will find all you need to know here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And if you want detail in depth it's here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you decided it was worth the cost and hassle of fitting a new tank, and pipework of course, CAK Tanks will have everything you need. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Juno5458 Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Many thanks Gromit foy your advice. Have read the tank cleaning article and will give it a go. If it still stinks then it might look like a new tank and pipe work :)
We would only use the tank water for boiling to drink and washing up but at present its not pleasant for anything.
We hired a camper van (T2) before we bought our own, and it had a large plastic jerry can with a submersible pump.Unfortunately this jerry can took up a large storage cupboard, so very much using valuable space!
Thanks for your help :)
Juno5458
Juno5458

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Have a look under the tank, ours has a 6" screw cap which gives access from under the van (Symbol) I have pressure washed the inside of our tank.

Cheers
Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Just a thought, but can you not take the van back to the dealer for them to rectify the problem? A habitation service should leave the van in a useable state and an ability to drink fresh water from a fresh water tank would seem to be  a basic requirement of a motor home.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:55 pm

Spospe wrote:Just a thought, but can you not take the van back to the dealer for them to rectify the problem? A habitation service should leave the van in a useable state and an ability to drink fresh water from a fresh water tank would seem to be  a basic requirement of a motor home.
A good thought indeed Spospe. up!

I'm not sure how far Juno could push that one, since I think a habitation check can be expected only to ensure that everything is in working order. I'd say there's plenty of wriggle room, since the water system is working - even though it's very obviously polluted.

If it were me therefore, I would go back to the dealer, but would be very careful with my approach. I would almost ask for help and advice rather than waving a big stick, but I would mention that I had confidence in their pre-delivery service and therefore assumed that everything in the van was ready to use. (Those exact words!)

I would say "pre-delivery service" rather than "habitation check" since I think the former would carry more clout in the form of a complaint. It's a subtle difference I know, but (to me at least) it seems to put more moral pressure on the dealer.

Good luck anyway.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Juno5458 Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:06 pm

Thankyou for your advice Gromit:) No harm in asking in a polite way if you dont ask you dont get! :)
Juno5458
Juno5458

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Juno5458 Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Good afternoon all
Just an update on the stinking water tank on our Trident. We phoned the dealer and was told that the habitation service only ensured that everything was working ie taps and drain etc. However we were advised to buy some tank cleaner fluid for about £7. We completel drained the tant then filled it with clean water and half the cleaning fluid then left it to stand 24 hours. We then repeated the process and it does not now smell quite so bad but still smells. We will be trying the tablets next :)
Update to follow!
Juno5458
Juno5458

Female

Back to top Go down