The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer wiring

5 posters

Go down

Trailer wiring  Empty Trailer wiring

Post by Rono Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Has A/S left provision for trailer wiring e.g. Passed a live cable to power the wiring loom for the trailer?
Or how difficult to pass a wire through to the battery to do this? or is it possible to wire under the van then pass into the battery compartment? It seems silly to me if its not been done 
as the pay load is a bit slim for double person habitation on a long trip.
Rono
Rono

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Trailer wiring  Empty Re: Trailer wiring

Post by BobK Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Rono .. .. I think you need to be a bit more explicit here.    Are you contemplating fitting a tow bar to tow a trailer to give you extra
load carrying capacity?      In which case you would need to wire in a seven pin coupling plug on the tow bar to accommodate all the lights ie. a power source for indicators, brake lights, sidelights etc.    It would NOT be a single power cable to the battery but would need a circuit for each of the lights.    

The wires to your seven pin plug could be wired into to each lighting circuit somewhere at the rear of the van.   However, I believe modern vehicles in the Fiat / Pug / Ford / Merc range have a pre-wired plug situated somewhere in the rear, which only requires a compatible plug with wires to connect to your tow bar plug, and then to your trailer.

I'm sure I'll be corrected by others if this is not the case, but I would ask at A.S. in the first instance.

good luck   Bob     up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Agreed - I would speak to A/S in the first instance, as they ~should~ know what is fitted from the factory on their base vehicles.

Prior to the bulb failure monitoring systems, you used to be able to just use a generic device known as a bypass relay to tap into the relevant wires at the rear light clusters, but the more modern electrics often won't tolerate that - on my current van I had to buy a dedicated wiring loom from P F Jones, which runs all the way up to the front of the van underneath. But if the converters had included it in the spec, "towbar preparation" would have saved me that effort (but it costs an additional £200 on the base vehicle, in the case of VW!).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:34 pm

A call to P F Jones will sort you out, you can use a bypass relay setup as these are made for bulb failure wiring set ups, well it worked on my van no problems. Others might disagree.

The bypass will require a permanent 12v fused feed, then it is just a matter of connecting the other wires to the rear lights. I took my 12v feed from the PSU.

P F Jones have wiring diagrams on their web site and answer emails by return.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Rono Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks will try in the morning.
   Ron
Rono
Rono

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:52 am

As your van is a PVC if the manufacturer (ie: Sevel ) wired on build then it would be there. AS would not remove this feature
I know many cars are pre-wired but am uncertain of vans. Have you had a look in the Peugeot handbook.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down