The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer V Rack

+2
WEXFORDBELLE
bearskin47
6 posters

Go down

Trailer V Rack Empty Trailer V Rack

Post by bearskin47 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I have recently purchased a scooter weighing 100kg with the intention of taking it on my twice yearly 6 week long trips to Spain. The initial plan was to put it on a rack attached to the towbar of my Topaz 2.5 Tdi. This arrangement takes the vehicle within 40kg of the maximum allowable weight when full of fuel, water etc. A big downside is that I would have to lift the scooter off to access the gas bottles and toilet cassette.
The alternative is a small lightweight trailer. I have concerns about how this will affect the driveability of the van, namely fuel consumption, I currently average 38 mpg, also the ferry costs would be more.We don't use toll roads so that's not an issue. A plus point of the trailer would be that I could put our outdoor table,chairs, sunbeds etc on it, avoiding storing them in the toilet compartment which is a pain. We usually stop on aires on the way South & then normally spend around a week on each site in Spain. I have never towed before so I am a bit worried about parking and climbing mountain passes.
I just can't make a decision on which way to go. Any feedback on similar experiences would be welcome.
bearskin47
bearskin47

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Trailer V Rack Empty Re: Trailer V Rack

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi

I have been looking into the same and decided on getting a side loading trailer there are a few about but I think the CMF engineering one is the better

engineered one also Armitage make one  not cheap but they will retain their price if you decide to sell, looked at the second hand market very few about

so will probably bite the bullet in the new year.

Pat allthumbz
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 pm

We towed two different cars behind our previous motorhome, on A-Frames....(Seat Seicento, and VW Lupo)

There were advantages... (like being able to leave the van all set up and go shopping, exploring etc)...and disadvantages...(the weight of the frame when setting it up ...we aren't getting any younger!)... confused3

I suppose the biggest disadvantage was that if we had a problem we couldn't reverse and had to uncouple the two and drive them away separately and then re-couple.  We once brushed against some undergrowth at the base of a tree whan leaving a campsite at Agen, and disturbed a nest of either bees or wasps... we didn't hang around to find out, as they were a bit cross!  covermyeyes

As far as fuel consumption, we were surprised to find that our fuel consumption improved considerably when towing...probably due to the fact that we kept to the 60mph towing speed  hugegrins
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Take a look at the EasyLifter website, you might find something suitable. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am considering the new Hydra -Trail for next year. It is supposedly easy to tow, due to the wheels being castors so follow the vehicle even during reverse.

There is a youtube video [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but this shows a set-up with only one trailer wheel rather than two.

A similar product is in the video [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  which shows how the unit behaves behind the towing vehicle.

These type of trailers don't offer you the facility of carrying other equipment though, but look to be ideal for scooters/bikes.

Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 pm

I have towed a trailer no problem, when reversing turn wheel opposite to the way you want to go, unless going straight back of course, takes a bit of practice at first.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Dont worry about towing it will become second nature and you will forget you have a trailer behind you.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:40 pm

I agree about the ease of towing something small...we found it helpful to have the reversing camera on all the time to keep an eye on it.  Unfortunately, towing with an A-frame means the car's brakes come on if you try to reverse, so it might be OK with a trailer.
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bearskin47 Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to try a rack, as it a self build the cost is very low. If it doesn't work out I will go down the trailer route next year.
bearskin47
bearskin47

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:54 am

We met a couple this summer who had walking problems, so they fitted a rack at the stern and put their scooter on it.  They had a removable ramp which attached sideways so they could roll the scooter up, then stowed the ramp underneath.  They were not young, but managed the stowing quite easily, it appeared.  Good luck!
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down