The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throttle body

4 posters

Go down

Throttle body Empty Throttle body

Post by badrock Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:28 pm

I have a 1997 A/S Symphony, 2 litre petrol engine. I need to replace the throttle body but Peugeot have stopped supplying this part. Have tried to obtain used online without success. Any suggestions will be much appreciated
badrock
badrock

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleeper Boxer
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Throttle body Empty Re: Throttle body

Post by boxerman Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Where have you tried and what is wrong with yours?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by badrock Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:06 pm

My garage have tried to find a replacement without success. Essentially it fails to mix correct amounts of fuel and air. Just worn out. Result is sluggish and intermittent performance and engine cuts out when revs drop at say traffic lights etc. Thanks for reply.
badrock
badrock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:27 pm

badrock wrote:My garage have tried to find a replacement without success. Essentially it fails to mix correct amounts of fuel and air.

A throttle body doesn't mix fuel and air. It just controls and measures the amount of air going into the engine. The fuel is delivered directly into the inlet ports by the injectors, the amount of fuel is controlled by the ECU.

If your garage thinks that the throttle body mixes the fuel & air, they don't know very much about multipoint fuel injection, I'd go somewhere else if I was you.

Just worn out. Result is sluggish and intermittent performance and engine cuts out when revs drop at say traffic lights etc. Thanks for reply.

The thing that often [but not always] causes erratic tickover & stalling at idle is the idle speed stepper motor or possibly the throttle position sensor [TPS] both can be found on ebay reasonably cheaply.

Actually, before replacing anything, I'd have the injectors cleaned, either professionally or put a bottle of [petrol] injector cleaner in the tank.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi,
My peugeot garage fitted a new throttle body about 6 months ago so I am surprised that your garage could not obtain one. The throttle body contains lots of sensors to control mixture etc. Your van should have fuel injection and a control ecu and I am surprised at your garages diagnosis, however fault finding on these engines is difficult due to a lack of knowledgeable mechanics.I had similar problemswhich was traced to a purge valve not closing at tickover. If you trace the larger hose from the inlet manifold it leads to the valve located at the upper left side at the front of the engine. DO NOT confuse it with the thin hose which leads to an adjacent valve. If you remove and plug this hose (about half inch bore) you can test to see if this cures the problem,
PM me if you need clarification,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by badrock Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 am

Thanks Frank and Chris. I think it's my understanding that's at fault I have misunderstood the function of the throttle body itself. Perhaps I need to find a mechanic who understands the Boxer petrol engine better. Chris could you give me the name of your garage who found the replacement for you. Thanks again. Tony
badrock
badrock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 am

Hi,
It was blackshaws peugeot, derby road, burton upon trent, as I recall it cost around £200. Please note that I would not recommend them as knowledgeable about this engine,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 am

Hi Tony,
as I said previously, the first thing to do, before buying any parts [throttle bodies aren't cheap] is to clean the injectors. You might be surprised at the difference this can make.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:53 am

Frank,

Unfortunately I'm not able to help with parts: after my Diesel conversion my Boxer petrol engine ended-up in Nigeria! However I never got to the bottom of the origin of the 2l petrol engine, and other applications where it was used. This could clearly be of benefit in this case in tracking-down spares.

Am I right in thinking that this engine was originally a Citroen power unit principally used in the Xantia and the XM? If correct then I would have thought that they were still available, perhaps with the assistance of the appropriate car forums?

Stuart aka Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:08 am

Bartfarst wrote:Frank,
Am I right in thinking that this engine was originally a Citroen power unit principally used in the Xantia and the XM? If correct then I would have thought that they were still available, perhaps with the assistance of the appropriate car forums?

Stuart aka Bartfarst
Hi Stuart,
The engine certainly has more than a passing resemblance to the unit I had in my Citroen BX, except that the Boxer engine has fuel injection and DIS in place of the Weber & distributor. Other changes too, but they are the obvious ones.

When I replaced the idle stepper motor from a scrapyard, the one I got was from a Pug 405 so I have no doubt that the same motor was also being used in the Xantia but not sure about the XM.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks Frank,

I suppose I should have done more research before asking the question! I reckon it's a PSA XU10. Would you agree?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If I recall correctly the ECU was Marelli, and the throttle body/actuator was by them too?

With this level of application, parts should be available...

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:55 am

Hi Stuart
Bartfarst wrote:Thanks Frank,

I suppose I should have done more research before asking the question! I reckon it's a PSA XU10. Would you agree?
Yes! XU10J2

If I recall correctly the ECU was Marelli, and the throttle body/actuator was by them too?

With this level of application, parts should be available...

Bartfarst

Correct again! Magneti Marelli 8P. Although according to Frank Massey at ADS Preston, there were three different ECUs. Two of them could be re-furbed, one couldn't, and could only be changed for a new one. Don't need to tell you which type was fitted to my van, do I?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi,
I had idle speed problems with my van and changed lots of things then after speaking to frank massey I fitted a restrictor in the vacuum pipe which was a partial success, I, sent it into a garage who replaced the throttle body amongst other things, I then removed the ecu and had it tested before plugging the pipe to the purge valve which cured the problem. I sold the van to a dealer and it would seem that his garage removed the mods, reconnected the purge valve and then sold it. Guess what, the new owner brought it back because it wouldn't tick over, the dealer phoned me to ask if I had had this problem as his garage had sent the ecu for testing etc. Etc. And were stumped. I told him to plug the purge valve hose and put everything back as it was and it would be ok, not heard any more, perhaps he got a new garage,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down