The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar Panel

2 posters

Go down

Solar Panel Empty Solar Panel

Post by rgermain Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:13 am

I am looking at fitting a Solar Panel to my Warwick Duo, mainly to keep the onboard battery's charged, so a dual system is needed.

I have seen ones you screw on and flexible ones that you can stick on. No sure which way to go.

Any information would be of great use in helping me which is the best way to go.

Thanks

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel Empty Re: Solar Panel

Post by Greyhound Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Depends on available height etc and space.

A flexible panel is the most convenient as you simply bond it straight the panel with Sikaflex and can of course go over curves so good for fitting on area's above windscreens for instance or if your roof has a curved section. Also they only raise the roof height by a few millimetres so are perfect if you don't want it to be stuck in the wind etc.

The downside is if you ever need to take it off for any reason, you essentially damage the panel trying to get it off so it is pretty much a 'permanent' solution unless you're incredibly careful getting it off the sikaflex.

The hard panels come on an aluminium frame and you can bolt it straight onto something or get plastic corner/side mounts that you bond to the roof with sikaflex and then the panel screws to them. These raise your roof height by about 2-3 inches, so something to consider if you have a van that just fits under barriers etc and don't want to be restricted.

These are usually slightly more efficient than the flexi-panels (or used to be) and have the bonus of being easily removed/replaced if needed.

Either will be fine though. I fitted a hard panel to mine and a flexi-panel to my friends pop top camper and haven't really noticed a problem with either, it's more which you prefer.

Once fitted, the rest of the wiring etc is identical whichever panel you choose.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Thank you for your help, I have read on this site that there can be problems when connecting to the Sargent power units.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:38 pm

I went straight to the battery as I have an older van and it's an easier route, but yeah the newer models allow for solar fitting into the controller box. Not sure on the problems though.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down