The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remi magnetic strip on front screen

5 posters

Go down

Remi magnetic strip on front screen Empty Remi magnetic strip on front screen

Post by LovetheDales Sun May 15, 2016 10:24 am

Has anyone had an issue with the magnetic strip not holding the front screen together, apart from putting a large paper clip to hold them together, we were wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. We have a Kingham that's nearly 18 months old.
LovetheDales
LovetheDales

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Remi magnetic strip on front screen Empty Re: Remi magnetic strip on front screen

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun May 15, 2016 10:33 am

Are these the horizontal slide? If so, is the piece that goes around the rear view mirror stalk retracting fully.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Remi magnetic strip on front screen Empty Re: Remi magnetic strip on front screen

Post by Machloop Sun May 15, 2016 12:18 pm

LovetheDales wrote:Has anyone had an issue with the magnetic strip not holding the front screen together.......

Yes, our new Kingham front blinds do not meet, they are obstructed by the rear view mirror, which prevents them from coming together. So far we have used a thick piece of card jammed up inside each one to prevent them from springing back. As we have a FIAT, my thought was that it was caused by a different shaped rear view mirror, but maybe not. Our dealer suggested a ladies hair scrunchy around the slide 'handles' and I think leaving the blinds closed as much as possible will remove much of the tension but they do not fit. They really need re-designing but I can't see that happening soon. 

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by LovetheDales Sun May 15, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay. The blinds are horizontal and they have ben working and fit fine, it's just that over the past couple of months the magnetic strip is a little loose  and the magnetism seems to be going. the mirror does not get in the way, when we bought it the dealer said it was an issue before with previous models but had been corrected. Just wondered how long the magnet should work for as seems odd it is loosing it's strength.
LovetheDales
LovetheDales

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun May 15, 2016 8:42 pm

My blinds are 5 years old and the magnetism is fine. Heat can make magnetism reduce/disappear but probably above the temperature occurring in the windscreen in summer.

Replacement strip is available. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by LovetheDales Sun May 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks peter, just waiting for the summer then smile! , thanks for the web site, I will order some and see how it goes. Perhaps the original one's are faulty and I don't want to go to dealers as it will probably come back with no windscreen at all. Thanks again
LovetheDales
LovetheDales

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveKilroy Thu May 19, 2016 1:53 pm

I had a similar problem in a previous van where the blinds stuck together however the slightest touch or movement when in the van would result in the blinds springing back and leaving a 10-12 inch gap. 
To spare fellow campers... I simply used a large elastic band around the 'handles' on the leading edge of the two blinds to assist the 2 rather weak magnets in maintaining contact.

I have some new blinds fitted to my current van and I can confirm the magnets are extremely strong  - to the point I struggle to prise them apart !!!
DaveKilroy

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by LovetheDales Thu May 19, 2016 8:39 pm

The magnetic strip has come loose from the blind, that was the problem, the magnets were fine it the sticky side that fits to the blind that is the problem. I have ordered a couple of metres of strip for both sides for under £3 and they came within 2 days thanks to Peter for giving us the web site, so will fit them and see how we go.
LovetheDales
LovetheDales

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 pm

LovetheDales wrote:The magnetic strip has come loose from the blind, that was the problem, 

So not the same thing as our blinds then. The two 'cut-out' sections at the top of the front blinds are not deep enough to clear the rear view mirror on the FIAT and so they stop the magnets from touching.  The simple way around this for FIAT owners is to remove the mirror and file a couple of flats on the arm to thin it down enough for the blinds to fit. I'll get the dealers on it next time I go.

camper

Machloop
Machloop

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm

I've also had the magnets losing adhesion to the blind. It's an easy fix - remove the strip and apply a contact adhesive to both the blind and the back of the magnetic strip - job done. As the strip locates in a shallow recess it's probably best to run masking tape to each side of the recess to avoid getting adhesive where you don't want it.
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by LovetheDales Fri May 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks for that, as we are going away soon will do that and keep the new ones if required for later.
LovetheDales
LovetheDales

Male

Back to top Go down