The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

auto sleepers

+3
Peter Brown
roli
paul long
7 posters

Go down

auto sleepers  Empty auto sleepers

Post by paul long Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 pm

First time I've used auto sleepers parts dept, gave them the job number etc for my ford ascot. they said don't do much for the ascot now,but they took my order for 2 interior locker catchers and filler locking cap. locker catchers no where near the same, also they sent a fiamma water cap which is not the standard one for the van. lost all faith in them .
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

auto sleepers  Empty Re: auto sleepers

Post by roli Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Unusual that the parts dept are one of the efficient bits of AS.   

Much of the interior stuff will be similar to the Sigma (of the same year) with same layout same van on a Pug chassis.  The Sigma became the Broadway.

Why AS stopped building on the Tranny and kept the Pugs (apart from price) I do not know
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 pm

roli wrote:

Why AS stopped building on the Tranny and kept the Pugs (apart from price) I do not know

Ford just weren't interested in supplying such small numbers, lead time on a chassis was minimum 6 months and often longer as Ford prioritised big customers, it took 13 months to get my Wilton.

I've always had super service from the AS parts department.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Just how detailed are the build notes?. Personally I would always scour EBay for matching items such as cabinet knobs/catches. As for filler caps, I thought they were all the same.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:31 pm

paul long wrote:they said don't do much for the ascot now,but they took my order for 2 interior locker catchers and filler locking cap. locker catchers no where near the same, also they sent a fiamma water cap which is not the standard one for the van. lost all faith in them .

I suspect that some people don't really understand that A-S is - in relative terms - a tiny little company. They simply don't have the resources (i.e. money tied up in stock plus space to store it) to keep a whole load of spare parts for an eight year old van on the offchance that someone is going to want one and order from them.

When parts manufacturers change the shape/size of parts or discontinue them, they don't phone A-S up first to check that it's Ok. So you have to accept that the older your van gets, the harder it will be to get parts - whether that's from A-S Parts Dept., or Leisureshopdirect, or wherever. There's no point in "losing all faith" - it's just one of those facts of life that we all have to live with.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Have to say I have also found the parts dept. very efficient, and always accommodating and helpful. I guess they are human though, and make mistakes occasionally.
I too would be inclined to try eBay for bits and pieces - there's usually a picture which is worth its weight etc!! up!  Another good source for all sorts of (possibly outdated) parts is O'Leary's. They seem to have a bit of everything, specially in their Self Build dept.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you put "Motorhome water filler cap" into Google you will see there are at least three different sorts, possibly more if you browse deeper.

Hope this helps

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Paulmold wrote:Just how detailed are the build notes?. Personally I would always scour EBay for matching items such as cabinet knobs/catches. As for filler caps, I thought they were all the same.
I haven't seen them personally but the build records for mine are very detailed. Mark Burdett used them recently to identify that I had a float switch in the power circuit to the fresh water fill socket - no record of it anywhere else and I had thought the switching was in the Sargent circuitry.

I agree 100% with Mojo's comments on parts stocking and availability.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 pm

I have always found AS parts to be very helpful and obliging, anything I have ordered have received next day. my van is 2012 and i don`t expect them to much in stock, also even on newer models, things can change like door handles/ catches etc, if the manufacturers change their style so  AS have to, so not always their choice.

There are other ways of finding what you need though. good luck.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by paul long Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanks for your comments everyone, found what I wanted on the Internet even though the van is 8 years old. Many thanks paul.
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down