The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

symbol or not symbol

+11
-mojo-
Constan42
Boston Blue
Flying High
Carver
boxerman
Paulmold
Ramblers
daisy mae
Hubert
nerdycross
15 posters

Go down

symbol or not symbol  Empty symbol or not symbol

Post by nerdycross Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:17 pm

We are contemplating down sizing from a 2003 Talisman to a symbol as our only vehicle. My question is how are they to live with as a every day transport as well as a camper. 
Any help from symbol owners appreciated.
nerdycross

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

symbol or not symbol  Empty Re: symbol or not symbol

Post by Hubert Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:30 am

Really depends on how often and what use you put it to on a regular basis.
We have a car for general use but whilst on holiday it rarely causes any problems regarding access or parking. It will fit in a car space. Usually, only height barriers can prevent access.
It is commercial van based so will never be as quiet or as comfortable as a car.
Whilst we could manage without the car (which only covers 3k per yr but has zero road tax) we prefer the convenience and the ability to take more than one passenger.
Hopefully somebody on the forum will come forward who does use a Symbol as an only vehicle.

Regards
Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 am

I haven`t had a Symbol. wouldn`t have thought there would be any problems using as an only vehicle, mine is larger and it is my only vehicle. I do like my comfort. up!

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:24 am

Hubert wrote:Really depends on how often and what use you put it to on a regular basis.
We have a car for general use but whilst on holiday it rarely causes any problems regarding access or parking. It will fit in a car space. Usually, only height barriers can prevent access.
It is commercial van based so will never be as quiet or as comfortable as a car.
Whilst we could manage without the car (which only covers 3k per yr but has zero road tax) we prefer the convenience and the ability to take more than one passenger.
Hopefully somebody on the forum will come forward who does use a Symbol as an only vehicle.

Regards
Hubert
Our feelings mirror exactly what Hubert has posted. We've purchased a car so that we don't put excessive mileage on the campervan and we can take our turn with taking friends out, but when away the Symbol is easy to drive and park just avoiding height barriers.

Jeff
Ramblers
Ramblers

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:49 am

I know Frank (Boxerman) has his Symphony as his only vehicle. I'm sure he'll be along to give his take on this.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:58 am

Not a Symbol but a Symphony. Been the only 4 wheeled vehicle for 14 years, it doesn't really fit in a car sized parking space, they are usually too short and a bit on the narrow side - never been an issue though. Have to avoid multi story carparks of course and height barriers.
Thirsty around town for small journeys but cheaper than running two vehicles?
Check your insurance covers you as an only vehicle, some of the motorhome policies only cover the motorhome if its a second vehicle.

Your living quarters will be less than in the Talisman, but we managed fine for all those years so its just a question of adapting.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:12 pm

We have owned our Symbol for a year now, and although not our only vehicle, I feel that it could be used as such (height restrictions accepted).  We bought it specifically so that we could tour around while away and park in a normal space.
so far its been great and provides us with sufficient space to relax properly.
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by nerdycross Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks for the info I think it maybe the way to go as I need to reduce down from two cars and the van down to just the van.
Once again thank you all for the info
nerdycross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi all,
just got a Symbol ES 2008 and although I have a car we find the extra seat really makes it into a large car.
Our idea is to cut down and eventually only have the van as money gets tight in our twilight years. Only had it a week and it was used as a day vehicle by the previous owner, high milage but a nearly new interior.

Regards, Mike   courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by nerdycross Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:15 pm

I've a big ask if there are any symbol oners in south Devon I love to see one in person before we start traveling to view.
nerdycross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Blue Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:26 pm

nerdycross wrote:I've a big ask if there are any symbol oners in south Devon I love to see one in person before we start traveling to view.
 Hi wave , We are in next county from you, Somerset. Approx 40 miles and have a Symbol (Marquis Sussex ES version) of similar year to yours.  If that is any help.   You are welcome to come and have a peek. 
 Alternatively we are staying in North Devon over easter if that is an option. 

Best Regards
Boston Blue
Boston Blue

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : BOXER; SUSSEX. ES
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by nerdycross Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi Boston blue 
Thank you for your offer think that maybe good we've not made any plans for next week so would be good to meet.
nerdycross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:37 am

boxerman wrote:Not a Symbol but a Symphony. Been the only 4 wheeled vehicle for 14 years, it doesn't really fit in a car sized parking space, they are usually too short and a bit on the narrow side - never been an issue though. Have to avoid multi story carparks of course and height barriers.
Thirsty around town for small journeys but cheaper than running two vehicles?
Check your insurance covers you as an only vehicle, some of the motorhome policies only cover the motorhome if its a second vehicle.

Your living quarters will be less than in the Talisman, but we managed fine for all those years so its just a question of adapting.

Frank
This is what I love about boxermans posts, they are so incredibly to the point and just says it how it is. Point being this. EVERYBODY says that these Symbols and Symphonys will fit in a standard car park,no problem. I have never seen the carparks being described as too small or Narrow EVER.   As always, Bravo Frank.
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am

I had no trouble with parking my 2003 clubman when I had it, was used as my car anyway, the Amethyst have used for shopping but is restrictive in normal car parks, hence I now also have a Topaz, to use as a car / day vehicle, 

More comfortable than a car, have facilities if needed, easy to park, will take loads of shopping, even bigger stuff that would struggle with in a car.  never found car parks too short or narrow, have you seen some of the modern cars, bigger than my Topaz which is 16` long, 6`.5" wide with mirrors retracted. 

So I say go for it, they are meant to be used and the vehicles are better for it.      allthumbz not to grace a drive for most of it`s life.

Best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm

daisy mae wrote:I had no trouble with parking my 2003 clubman when I had it, was used as my car anyway, the Amethyst have used for shopping but is restrictive in normal car parks, hence I now also have a Topaz, to use as a car / day vehicle, 

More comfortable than a car, have facilities if needed, easy to park, will take loads of shopping, even bigger stuff that would struggle with in a car.  never found car parks too short or narrow, have you seen some of the modern cars, bigger than my Topaz which is 16` long, 6`.5" wide with mirrors retracted. 

So I say go for it, they are meant to be used and the vehicles are better for it.      allthumbz not to grace a drive for most of it`s life.

Best wishes,
Margaret
Excellent viewpoint Margaret, like you say, when you see some of the modern gas guzzlers in carparks, they don't seem to have an issue. The problem is that car park spaces need to be larger and a legal standard size. (should'nt they be already?) STOP PICKING ON MOTORHOMES  smile!
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm

I suspect that it's complicated by the fact that cars have been steadily getting bigger, but some car parks were laid out decades ago. Given that each parking space corresponds (roughly) to one customer, you can understand why a retail premises would not choose to re-mark a car park so that it could accommodate fewer customers!

And then there are some sites (the Co-Op in Pitlochry springs to mind) that are recent, but very space-limited. There is little they can do about that - in that specific example I recently spent what felt like about a quarter of an hour getting my van into one of the spaces down the side of the site! Not much they can do there...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 am

Mojo, don’t know when you were last there but the Co-op carpark was redesigned a few years ago. It now has fewer but slightly larger spaces. Having said that, we park behind the Main Street, where the pay and display has larger spaces, and carry out shopping   rolleyes.

The problem of parking in tight spaces has been sorted by our supermarkets for those who have large cars, think they have large cars, can’t park, are lazy bandits or just plain selfish and ignorant. 

It’s the child and parent spaces   shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:54 am

Our local ASDA has started re-marking the parking bays to make them wider. Still on the short side though, which is why I look for two empty spaces end to end. Don't like having the front or back sticking out:
symbol or not symbol  Asda10

Courtesy of Google maps.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am

I get the impression that the size is driven by planning. If your shop is this big you need this many spaces so they are marked out with that many spaces irrespective of how practical it is. Maybe after a while they can loose a few spaces by repainting and nobody cares.

There is planning permission on a property next to us. 8 apartments and underground parking for 8 cars, provided they come & go in the right order. The last one in will block everybody else.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by crosgor Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Our Symbol is used as my car and I will take it anywhere as it really will fit in a 'normal' space but I often use the side sliding door when in tight parking spaces.
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : ex-Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Supermarkets can probably get a few more customers in their carparks by making the spaces bigger because lots of spaces are lost by bad parking. Drivers park over the lines making the space next to them inaccessible.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave D Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 am

crosgor wrote:Our Symbol is used as my car and I will take it anywhere as it really will fit in a 'normal' space but I often use the side sliding door when in tight parking spaces.
I use the side sliding door in car parks as my good lady is registered disabled and that's the only way she can exit our 2005 symbol. up!
Dave D
Dave D

Male

Back to top Go down