The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south?

4 posters

Go down

Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south? Empty Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south?

Post by Duetto 1999 Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:30 am

Duetto 1999 (Transit 100 LWB 2.5TD Auto)

I have been reading the fascinating thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about Peter and Jenny's welding repairs by a chap called Ian who, judging by the images, is a top notch guy.
I suspect my new purchase may need some of the same, along the lines of a stitch in time saving nine - it is due into my usual garage this week for a close inspection by a guy I trust. It was put through a MOT just before I bought it so I am hopeful that what work there is will be more in the nature of prevention.  
Unfortunately Ian and his workshop are some distance from me - I live in Hampshire - so I wondered whether anybody knows of an equally skilled bodywork craftsman, used to working on van conversions, in my neck of the woods.

This is my first van and I have only owned it for a week or two. I have already learnt so much from reading this forum that my mind is reeling! Keep it up, us motor-homing "infants" need as much help as we can get!
All the best

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south? Empty Re: Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south?

Post by Bulletguy Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Sometimes it can prove worth travelling distance to get a job "done right"......especially when the person comes recommended which in Ians case, he does.

I've known Ian many years though purely on the basis of having various bodywork repairs done on different vehicles. I'm not 'a mate' as such and Ian treats me the same as any other customer. Just stating that so anyone else knows i'm not getting any 'special treatment' or 'discount favours'!

His bodywork is undeniably the best in my locality and having spent his entire life in the bodyshop business, he knows his stuff. He's not cheap, but won't waste anybody's money doing quick 'flash overs' because he knows you will be back to square one after the first winter. Whatever the job entails, he will advise the best way to proceed.

Jenny&Peter emailed photographs to Ian first at which point i gather he gave them a rough estimate. Once he had physically seen the van he would have given then a firm quote. Once Ian gives that, that's the price fixed. They drove their van to his bodyshop, then Ian took them to the local rail station (Stoke-on-Trent) to get a train back home. Could be worth just pricing up a rail ticket? It might be a lot less than you think.

My van is going to Ian within the next few weeks to have the rear offside roof gutter corner sorted (same as in J&P's pic). I wouldn't trust anyone else with the work and know when he's finished, it will be back to new. 

Highly recommended!  allthumbz
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south? Empty Re: Body repair (rusty Transit) in the south?

Post by Duetto 1999 Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:24 pm

Wise words Bulletguy - Thank you.

All early days but I suspect I shall be making an inaugural visit to sunny Stoke-on-Trent in the not too distant future. I am either going to end up loving this van or LOATHING it. Not sure which yet!
All the best.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Duetto 1999 wrote:Wise words Bulletguy - Thank you.

All early days but I suspect I shall be making an inaugural visit to sunny Stoke-on-Trent in the not too distant future. I am either going to end up loving this van or LOATHING it. Not sure which yet!
All the best.

Hhhmm.....don't bank on Stoke being some kind of metropolitan paradise otherwise you will be extremely disappointed! Plenty of history though. Known by many people as "The Potteries" when it once had a thriving pottery industry with the best names around coming from Stoke....Royal Doulton, Wedgewood, Aynsleys, Barratts, Beswick, Dudsons and many more. Also it was the birthplace of Reginald Mitchell, designer of the Spitfire, footballer Stanley Matthews, singer Robbie Williams, recently deceased guitarist "Lemmy" from Motorhead, and also Saul Hudson ("Slash") was brought up as a young lad by his grandparents in Stoke-on-Trent.

The Michelin tyre factory is still here and used to be one of the towns largest employers but now has just a fraction employed.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:02 pm

Any questions just ask . the train from Milton Keynes to stoke was £7.00 if booked in advance and that was travelling at peak times.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Try Spitfire Garage in Woolston, Spitfire Quay Hazel Road SO19 7GB. 02308 0422716/0422222
Great team with their own own paint shop, just done a job for me.
I was sent there by Viscount Motorhomes from Bursledon, they use Spitfire all the time.

Good luck, AS's of any age are to good to bin !!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Duetto 1999 Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:46 pm

newterry wrote:Try Spitfire Garage in Woolston, Spitfire Quay Hazel Road SO19 7GB. 02308 0422716/0422222
Great team with their own own paint shop, just done a job for me.
I was sent there by Viscount Motorhomes from Bursledon, they use Spitfire all the time.

Good luck, AS's of any age are to good to bin !!

Thank you newterry,
I have just had it into my favoutite garage people and they have, more or less, given it the thumbs up rust-wise.
I shall be taking everybody's advice and getting it sealed with Waxoyl in the next few weeks.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:14 pm

No probs, had my Harmony Waxoyl'd last November.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Duetto 1999 Thank you newterry, wrote:I have just had it into my favoutite garage people and they have, more or less, given it the thumbs up rust-wise.
I shall be taking everybody's advice and getting it sealed with Waxoyl in the next few weeks.

Well worth it.

When i first bought my van a friend also had a Duetto, slightly older but what we couldn't figure was the differences between his and mine. Mine is on steel wheels, his was on alloys. Mine has a speedo only, his has speedo and rev counter. Mine had wind up windows, his were electric. However his wheel arches were badly rusted and mine looked like new. A poster on here explained all. Mine is an LE version which A/S added a few luxuries (fancy coloured cooker, gold tap fittings, Heki 2 rooflight), but to counter this they cut back on other items such as power windows and ally wheels.

However, the important bit is A/S injected extra rust proofing from new and that has paid dividends! All my wheel arches are original and not even a bubble of rust to be seen anywhere. The Garage who do all my mechanical work and mot's told me they'd never seen such a clean under body of a Transit in years.

I've added power windows but am not bothered about a rev counter.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down