The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz leak above windscreen

5 posters

Go down

Topaz leak above windscreen Empty Topaz leak above windscreen

Post by shargrea Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:14 pm

While driving the van (a 2001 Topaz) a few weeks ago in torrential rain, I found water dripping onto my right hand. It turned out that the trim panel above the windscreen (the panel the sun visor is fixed to) was soaking.

I've finally got round to some investigation.

My theory was that water was getting through the join between the fibreglass high top and the original bodywork. However, I've now discovered that Autosleeper appear to have left the front section of the original van roof in place (it forms the base of the over cab cupboard (albeit hidden by trim panels), If the original roof is still in place above the windscreen, then water couldn't be getting through here (unless it has holes in it either from the conversion or corrosion (!) )

The other possibility is that water is getting through the seal around the windscreen (but the interior panel that was wet is above the windscreen, and there's no sign of anything lower down being wet, so this seems odd).

Here's a picture of the offending area with the front of the 'gutter' pulled away to show the join:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Has anyone any experience of this ?
shargrea
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Topaz leak above windscreen Empty Re: Topaz leak above windscreen

Post by bill.teager Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:45 pm

hi we had a symphony with water leak above windscreen it went to two garagers first said it was windscreen removed twice never sorted we gave up with them second took headling down in cab found two holes from rapparound cuttering screws above window one each side filled with filler  hope you get it sorted 
bill
bill.teager
bill.teager

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : v.w gatcome
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:22 pm

I had same problem with symphony, it turned out that water was getting under the rubber strip that goes across front above windscreen.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:15 pm

...T4's are notorious for rust around the screen top - it may just be possible there is a bit of deep corrosion underneath the screen rubber that is letting water through.
On all of the T4's I've owned, one of the first things I did was to peel back the rubber enough to give a good coating of WD40.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveyP2004 Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:17 pm

I had a similar leak on a 2003 T4 Topaz and after many attempts to fix I ended up getting on a ladder with a small jug of water and pouring it a few drips at a time (with my wife checking on the inside ) until I could pin point the leak. Although the leak appeared to be near the corner of the windsreen it turned out it was further to the centre at the top windscreen. My van is in storage at the moment so I cant take a photo but I remember there was some kind of joint in the rubber seal and the water was leaking through that and running internally along the top seal and showing itself in the corner. Used some clear silicon to seal it and its been fine since.
Cheers,
Dave

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Topaz LE

Back to top Go down