The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning adjustment help please

4 posters

Go down

Awning adjustment help please Empty Awning adjustment help please

Post by Backtrax Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:38 am

Does anybody have knowledge of, or experience, in adjusting the mechanism of an awning.

On our Broadway when we wind in the awning, the fascia plate closes slightly ahead on one side to the other (Side at front of van closes before side at rear of van). This results in the side at the rear not engaging with the safety clip mechanism. (I have to push the rear side of the fascia in with a pole the last 5mm or so, to get it to engage).
The awning cover is developing a crease in it - presumably as a result of this 'off square' closure action.

It is as thought the 2 scissor action legs are not perfectly synchronised.

Can anybody help please?
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Awning adjustment help please Empty Re: Awning adjustment help please

Post by sigmaman Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Had the same problem with my Sigma awning.  Resolved it by unwinding about 3/4 way out and getting someone to pull on the side which has retracted fully and pull on it while you wind in again.  This evened up the tension so both sides sit nicely in the recess.  May need more than one attempt depending on how much the awning is out of true.
Hope this helps.
sigmaman
sigmaman

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 pm

You may improve matters by carefully adjusting the outer ends of the folding arms along the front beam. They are locked in place by beefy allen screws.  When you adjusty them it affects how evenly the two ends of the front beam lock into place.  It is very much trial and error.  I would try adjusting the end at the rear first. I had to do this on my Hymer Omnistor awning which was a plant on type - not integrated.  I cannot remember which way th eadjustment is needed but logic says to me that you should try first moving the end of th efolding arm towards the rear of the awning.  Only move it a very small amount, say half a cm.  If that improves the closing then continue to adjust until it closes evenly.  Before I adjusted the Hymer awning it always closed with a bit of a thump. Once it was properly adjusted it closed very quietly.  However, when opening, you will always need to wind the handle a turn or three before the awning suddenly releases from its locks with a loud thump as it jumps out about 4 inches.  The crease is probaly caused because you are pushing the rear of the awning in and the spare canvas has nowhere to wind.
You may need a combination of my method and sigmaman's to cure it - try his method first to make sure that it has not wound unevenly - though if that were happening I would expect the rolling to be wandering to one side and catching on the end of the roller. That should be clearafter a few turns of winding in if you peer up into the box.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks guys. I shall give your suggestions a go and report back.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:31 am

Update on the awning issue. In short - no improvement. Before I do anything too drastic though, I thought it worth reflecting further on the problem and possible solutions.
Inspiredron - I would agree that moving the rear articulated leg slightly towards the van rear end of the fascia should logically have the effect of pulling the fascia in slightly more at that end. However if one considers that when both articulated legs are fully retracted (folded), the distance between the ends of them must be a fixed value and thus the effect of your proposed action would be more to 'bend' the front fascia?
This has caused me to consider how the awning works.
It seems to me that the opening (unwinding) action is achieved by cables running through the articulated legs which are fixed at the end of each leg and on the rotary drum which holds the canvas. The unwind action actually wind on and thus shortens the cables which in turn straightens the legs which thus 'push out' the awning fascia.
The closing action is simply the cover being wound onto the drum and the leg cables being unwound to allow them to fold in, by bending at their centre hinge.
Logically therefore , having ensured the canvas is fully extended and equally tensioned on the drum (per Sigmaman), the problem of one side closing before the other must be that the canvass is slightly longer down one edge.
Affixing a small amount of a suitable material to the underside of the unwound canvass at the 'longer' edge, as close to the drum as possible, would have the effect of increasing the diameter of the drum at that end and thus retracting the canvass slightly more with each turn. This could cure the problem.

Comments?
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 am

Your arguments are convincing but I imagine that there is some slack in the joints.  All I can say is that when the front of the plant on awning on my Hymer stuck out - just as you describe - the adjustment that I made worked for me.  And, as I said, the awning then closed smoothly with a click instead of a clunk.
Has the awning always stuck out at the back or is it a recent phenomenon?  And is it sticking out now because it is out of adjustment and the front beam does not want to bend?

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:45 am

Hi there,

Just a daft thought.

If the awning has been working okay up until recent times then something must have changed .... look here

.... so, is there ANY indication that EITHER end of the arms have moved AT ALL? scratch head

If so, then I suggest that they are returned to their original position. allthumbz

If not then it suggests that the position of the arms is not the cause of the problem and the solution should be sought elsewhere. wave

The problem being that I haven't a clue as to where that would be. tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down