The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz?

5 posters

Go down

UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz? Empty UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz?

Post by marc4242 Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:02 pm

I accidentally ran us out of gas at a music festival the other day, which made me realise that when I bought our campervan the gas locker had one Camping Gaz 907 connected and 1 spare 907.

Now, though, we only have 1*3.9kg Calor.

The reason I swapped away from butane was I stayed the van one winter and I found the gas didn't working at -7c, just as I would rather have liked it to!

When we go to music festivals, though, the outside termperature is unlikely to be sub 4c though, so I thought I'd go back to 2*907 Camping Gaz.  On the CCC site it says that the price of Ca,ping Gaz and Calor is much the same:

"The type of gas to use for camping depends mainly on the weather . Propane can be used all the year round while liquid butane is hard to turn to gas at anything below about 4C. Now that the price of the two gases is very similar there’s little advantage to buying butane..."

The quote above is taken from a page on tent camping so maybe they're talking about different cylinder sizes, but the 2 gas types seem to have completely different prices to me:

Prices:

3.9kg £15.99
907 C0907GAZ £29.95

source:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Marc

Last edited by marc4242 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz? Empty Re: UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz?

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm

I had to replace my camping Gaz cylinder yesterday in Bridlington, 
£25.72 for the 907., the last one I bought was around £18 four years ago.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz? Empty Re: UK: is Calor much cheaper than Camping Gaz?

Post by Paulmold Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:22 pm

The 907 only contains 6lbs of gas (2.7 kilos), very expensive by comparison.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:33 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:I had to replace my camping Gaz cylinder yesterday in Bridlington, 
£25.72 for the 907., the last one I bought was around £18 four years ago.
Boaby
I was half way through my BBQ ribeye and had to replace the can, fortunately the plant hire depot is just around the corner , my San Miguel was still cold. 
I don't have an outside  BBQ outlet on my van, thus having to use my Cadac safari chef on this occasion.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi,
I have two 907 bottles in my garage for sale, pretty much full £20 the pair, need to be collected. I also have the large lantern plus the smaller bottle for £25,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:16 pm

chrisvesey wrote:Hi,
I have two 907 bottles in my garage for sale, pretty much full £20 the pair, need to be collected. I also have the large lantern plus the smaller bottle for £25,
Chris
Hi Chris
I still have my lantern, dual burner cooker and heater from my tenting days in the early seventies , went up market to a splity VW camper.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:39 pm

I was half way through my BBQ ribeye and had to replace the can, fortunately the plant hire depot is just around the corner , my San Miguel was still cold. 
I don't have an outside  BBQ outlet on my van, thus having to use my Cadac safari chef on this occasion.
Boaby

That sounds a scray moment, at least the beer was cold.

I left my wife unable to have a hot shower.
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:52 pm

I think you're mixing up the price of the different gasses, and the price of gas from different suppliers. Calor butane works out a similar price to Calor propane, but Camping Gaz (butane) is loads more expensive.

The locker on mine is inside, so butane is fine. I have one 4.5kg Calor blue cylinder connected, and a Camping Gaz 907 as a spare. Two reasons - firstly it fits in the space but secondly, and more importantly, if we run out in France then Camping Gaz is available from all the big supermarkets and Calor isn't available anywhere. I've used the 907 once in about two years, for a day.

Last time I bought them (I think) Calor was about £17 so about £3.80/kg, and Camping Gaz about £20 so £7.40/kg, about double. The Camping Gaz was a couple of years ago and the Calor last month, so that would tally with your prices.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks Richard, that's very interesting.  Such a big percentage difference between the 2 suppliers!  I take the point about Calor and Europe as we're looking to go there for the first time next year.

My locker is also inside btw but that didn't stop the butane refusing to work!
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Maybe I just don't go out when it's that cold!

If you do go to France (do, it's great for motorhomes), I know a few people have had problems finding the Camping Gaz cylinders - they're not where you'd think, outside with all the gas by the petrol station, but inside the supermarket, either under 'bricolage' (DIY) or camping.

I've posted this somewhere else I'm sure, but it's great:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - works for everywhere, not just UK.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down