The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking roof vents

5 posters

Go down

Leaking roof vents Empty Leaking roof vents

Post by mickenbacker 330 Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 pm

with all the rain we have had recently we have noticed that water is dripping down the screws of the roof vent handles . Do they have a rubber seal on them that might have perished? Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to sort it? shrugg
mickenbacker 330
mickenbacker 330

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Leaking roof vents Empty Re: Leaking roof vents

Post by Dutto Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:00 am

Hi there,

There are no seals on the moving parts of our skylights, but there are inner and outer covers.

The two covers are clamped and welded together during manufacture but on ours, due to their extreme age (17 years), the four welds were all cracked and as a result rainwater could seep through the cracks.

This may be the source of your leak but you will have to get up there on the outside to have a look. 

(We didn't realise how seriously our covers were cracked until one of the outer covers was ripped off due to the wind generated by a passing lorry!)

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 am

I had a similar problem, though the cause of mine may very well be different.

I found that the roof-light wasn't quite closing fully due to one of the hinge-pins coming out very slightly.  It was very difficult to spot, but was quite obvious when viewed from outside as the roof-light was clearly "wonky" when closed.

Steve
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Leaking roof vents Empty re leaking roof vents

Post by algy Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:05 am

Hi I had the same problem,here's the post https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t10893-broken-skylight?highlight=leaking+skylight
hope it helps.Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by mickenbacker 330 Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:32 pm

after playing spider man and getting on top of the van it seems a previous owner must have fitted screws to the vent above the toilet they are quite long and difficult to get to so i blobbed mastic over them hopefully this will stop the leaking:Whistle1:
mickenbacker 330
mickenbacker 330

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi there,

Hope it seals the leak .... allthumbz

.... but please keep a close eye on things because it doesn't take much moisture to ruin the inside of a van!! tap_fingers 

Lidl and Aldi both have Moisture Detectors on offer every so often. It may be worth you buying one to check out the inside of the van.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:15 am

biggrin As you may have  noticed owning older  vans like ours comes with a list of known faults or small problems.
Like others we have  had roof light issues. The one above the kitchen leaked around the handles due to the inner and outer separating. I just changed the outer. Only took a little susing and bogling and a slight adjustment of the catches was need to the new one.
On our way back from Gaydon a couple of weeks ago I thought the van sounded diferent. When I open the bathroom door it was raining in on one edge of the roof vent. The outer cover was completely detached one three of the catches. I tried to get just the outer again but could only get the whole unit. To my surprise  our local motorcaravan bits place, Magnum Motor homes had a 280x280 vent for the same price as the 400x400 outer I bought last time shrugg .
Not a bad job to change the whole lot as its near the corner of the van. Unclip the fly screen. Typical Autosleeper the 3" long securing screws were stainless and came out no trouble. Cleaned of the old gunk on the outside.The supplied mastic tape stuff was stuck to the new unit and the unit carefully fastened down . Be aware stainless screws into plastic is a bit twitchy, Just tighten  them a bit at a time opposite sides to pull the unit down evenly. Trim off the excess mastic up top, fit the fly screen back on and its done. Proper job.  No leaks so far and more light in the small room. rainyday
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down