The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping with dogs

+20
Paulmold
Gromit
landyman
RodB
dbroada
crisp
Paramedic
MIKE L
kenjones
mikethebike
Shuggiegreen
Paulwest55
m8form8
iank
Traficlady
jollywalker
Quilter
Dutto
daisy mae
maricardo
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Camping with dogs Empty Camping with dogs

Post by maricardo Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:32 pm

All sites we have been on require dogs to be on a leash.  Why do some campers believe this rule doesn't apply to them?  We have been greeted twice this year with a calling card on our allotted pitch.  Also the "extending" dog leads allow dogs to explore fully any pitch whilst the owner strolls through the site.
Yours grumpily
Maricardo
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Camping with dogs Empty Re: Camping with dogs

Post by daisy mae Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:25 pm

You get those irresponsible dog owners everywhere, not just  on camp sites, seems rules don`t apply to them, you could always take the dog mess in a bag and deposit it on their pitch saying," you have forgotten something," not so drastic as it seems how are they going to realise dog owners like this gives a bad name to all dog owners to the dog hate brigade.

On our local park the council is thinking of banning dogs, as some owners are not picking up, so the innocent pay the price for the selfish and lazy owners. 

Also those extending dog leads I consider dangerous, to others many a time a dog has got caught round my legs when on one of those leads, luckily I didn`t trip over it, could be nasty with someone that is feeble.

I will get off my soap box now.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:58 pm

daisy mae wrote:............ you could always take the dog mess in a bag and deposit it on their pitch saying," you have forgotten something," not so drastic as it seems how are they going to realise dog owners like this gives a bad name to all dog owners to the dog hate brigade..........

Hi there,

I'm afraid that this and similar techniques don't always have the desired outcome!

In Narbonne a few years ago a young man walking in front of us stopped to allow his dog to defecate in the middle of a "Pedestrian Area" of the city.

As he walked away I shouted after him and he turned around; at which I pointed to the steaming pile in the middle of the road and said "This is your dog's merde. Please take it with you." (In French obviously!)

He promptly turned, kicked the dog and walking rapidly carried on (dog cringing at his heels) ....

.... whilst my good lady grabbed hold of my arm saying "Leave it, leave it." ....

.... which I did, much to my shame. blushes blushes

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:17 pm

We spent quite a long time once untangling a dog left on an extendible lead in a caravan awning while the owners went out for the day.  It had got under the awning and then somehow managed to get the lead round its neck while trying to get back inside, panicked and was strangling itself. 

We cut the lead to release it and put it back, loose, inside the awning, which we pegged down properly. We told the owners what had happened in order to explain the cut lead and loose dog. Did we get a word of thanks ? Guess ! We didn't even get the pegs back.  Considering that it had yapped incessantly since they left we might have been tempted to leave it to its fate...
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:26 pm

Some folk beggars dunno  belief.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:49 pm

I am very lucky with my dog, she does not wander, does not bark, I take her on regular 'comfort breaks', also carry bags to pick up after her, and usually have people come over to make a fuss of her. 
I too get angry with other dogs, my dog is controlled, and then others come over, scare my dog, try to get in the van, try to take her toys, and the owners have little or no control of their dog.
Though to be fair, I get just as angry with unruly children running around screaming and invading my space too!
sit
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Oh please...don' t get me started on children !  I enjoy watching them have fun in the freedom of a campsite but a significant number these days seem barely house- trained and spoil it for all.

Ours didn' t need me to explain how to behave on a campsite- or anywhere else-. The concept of  our pitch / their pitch just seemed to occur naturally to them.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:12 am

On the C&CC site at Charmouth you must have a poo bag attached to your lead (well, to the dog's lead) at all times.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 am

Traficlady wrote:On the C&CC site at Charmouth you must have a poo bag attached to your lead (well, to the dog's lead) at all times.

Nora

Hi,

I don't know what it is about that rule, but it annoys me. I always have bags with me, in my pocket. I do not tie them to my dogs lead, I never have, and don't intend to start. I guess it is just so the camp staff can see that a dog owner is suitably equipped, but being told where I should have the poo bag rankles. I must truly be a grumpy old man!
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:42 am

jollywalker wrote:..........
Though to be fair, I get just as angry with unruly children running around screaming and invading my space too!
sit
"To be fair?"  scratch head   scratch head

Definitely no need to compare to me.  Personally I have never met a dog that I didn't like! Whistle1 Whistle1

A female friend once said "You don't like my children do you?" to which I replied "I didn't like my own kids so why should I like yours?" shrugg

"Love them?" a resounding "Yes!" .... allthumbz allthumbz

.... but surely no-one can actually "Like them" in that period between birth and the learning of socially accepted behaviour? Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:02 am

jollywalker wrote:
Traficlady wrote:On the C&CC site at Charmouth you must have a poo bag attached to your lead (well, to the dog's lead) at all times.

Nora

Hi,

I don't know what it is about that rule, but it annoys me. I always have bags with me, in my pocket. I do not tie them to my dogs lead, I never have, and don't intend to start. I guess it is just so the camp staff can see that a dog owner is suitably equipped, but being told where I should have the poo bag rankles. I must truly be a grumpy old man!

I know Club wardens come in for a lot of flak but, I suspect, the rules they make up and the club rules they enforce are the result of bitter experience. From chat with many during their winter break in Spain some of the people they have to deal with would have many of us up on a charge of assault. Like most things in real life, the behaviour of a very few means more rules and penalties for the rest of us more civilised citizens.  Don' t blame the wardens: they are the nice couple parked next to you in Spain in winter !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by iank Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Nora

I actually think this is an excellent idea that is easily adopted everywhere.  Not only does it serve to show whoever is interested that you are prepared for the inevitable, but it also serves as a reminder or emergency bag.  I like to think I'm a responsible owner that cleans up afterwards and puts my dog back on a lead if we encounter another we have not met before, but despite pretty much all my jackets and trousers having a supply of bags (its a regular item that is removed prior to laundry) I have to admit I have on occasion set off on a walk only to have to turn back after a hundred yards or so because I have forgotten to restock the bags removed prior to laundry.  Having one (or maybe 2) fastened around the lead would be a good reminder and a supply that saves those occasional backtracks.

I'm off to fasten one on now!
iank
iank

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Palermo
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:46 pm

In Spain, and I am sure elsewhere, you can buy little screw- top capsules which clip to the lead and hold several bags. There are even municipalities in Spain who provide free poo bags ( which the French use to put their sandwiches in...)  biggrin
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:26 pm

In Spain, and I am sure elsewhere, you can buy little screw- top capsules which clip to the lead and hold several bags 
Indeed most places have a Poundland or 99p shop and i have seen them in those. allthumbz
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulwest55 Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi we have a Dicky bag that's what it's called dickybag.com 
Brilliant when walking our little Heeler always have bags and some were to put poop until it can be binned clips on belt so hands free walking ,air tight no whiffs leak proof handy for carrying dog toys in too 
Caz
Paulwest55
Paulwest55
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:24 pm

Now I do like the Dicky bag, very clever  doggy
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:08 am

I made my own dickie bag (I thought £25 or whatever was pushing it a bit) with a neoprene camera lens case from eBay for about £3 and a plastic container to fit. Put some dustbin powder in the container and job done. Not as pretty as the dickie bag but it works.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:16 am

I always carry bags whether in pocket or mostly in a bum bag has room for my keys as well, as I carry dozens of bags at a time and always check before I set off, a natural habit after several years, I do not intend to put one on my dogs lead, if she is off lead I carry the lead around my neck so I have both hands free , there will always be owners who will not pick up where ever you are, if someone hasn`t got a bag I have given them one or two, I use nappy sacks they smell nice. I buy ten packs of 300 at a time so always a good stock in, I have two packs in the door compartment of my motor home. If you are carrying a bag that you have used at least the public can see you have picked up and might inspire others to do the same.jmo

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:23 am

I always carry poo bags in my pocket I love my two dogs but as a responsible owner there are rules that must be obeyed I do get annoyed when other dog owners dont bother as we all get tarred with the same brush.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't blame the dogs. Bring back licences and at a high cost.
It might work for some irresponsible owners. Dog wardens could be hired with the income.

Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Just as an aside, what really bugs me is cats.

I have a dog, I walk her regularly, cleaning up after her. If I let her out in the garden that is where she stays, she does not attack our visiting wild birds that use our bird feeders, she is supervised closely when out, and as far as I am aware causes no nuisance to anybody.

Cats on the other hand.....owners just let them out to wander wherever they please, usually other peoples gardens where they leave their mess for us to find and deal with. Cats are responsible for the death of countless wild birds and other animals, all while the owners are blissfully unaware of even where they are, let alone what their cat is up to.

Maybe cat owners should exercise their pet on a lead, ensure it remains in their own garden, and if out clean after it themselves, just like dog owners. At the least it should be law that all cats should have a loud bell on their collar to warn wild animals of their presence.

Now I expect a reaction from the 'cat lovers' on here, so will rush for the bunker............ jogging
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Cats are not domesticated like dogs, I do like cats I like their free spirit, if you have dogs, you will not get trespassing cats in your garden,

Always had cats and was brought up with  them, lost our cat last year at 22years old, will not have another one, for reasons already mention, the wild birds, we feed them and get lots of pleasure from them, it upset me when a cat catches a bird, many a time I have rescued them. cannot stop that it is nature. the last few years our cat didn`t go after birds. too old.

jollywalker, I take it your dog lets the cat in the garden, ours wouldn`t have other folks cats , got on well with our own cat, in fact slept together.

err sorrygoneoff

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:11 pm

mikethebike. So you want the government to take even more money off of people.I think we give them enough of our hard earned income.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 pm

I don't agree with dog licences and I do remember paying 7/6 for a licence. How much would they have to charge now to cover the cost of administration and what would be the benefit. Irrisponsible owners just wouldn't pay up.
I would however support a tax and registration scheme for bicycles. We seem to be getting overrun with these unaccountable road users.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by MIKE L Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

What really annoys us is when on a site with a dog walk people will walk their dogs behind other people's vans, often we sit having breakfast and a dog will be doing it's business in our view.
Absolutely no need to allow dogs to do that.
MIKE L

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK DUO
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next