The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LED Lighting

3 posters

Go down

LED Lighting Empty LED Lighting

Post by elijay Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 am

Has anyone done it?

Have looked at the strips in the van, it's not easy to see how the plastic covers remove. I don't want to break them, any clues?
elijay
elijay

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

LED Lighting Empty Re: LED Lighting

Post by winter camper Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Elijay,
Removing the covers is a pain I use a small bent screw driver and gently lever at one end and it pops off. We thought of led lighting but not worth the expense as the tubes are only 5watt we just removed one of the tubes from each light.

winter camper
winter camper

Male

Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:56 am

Several people have changed to LEDs but beware, many cheaper lights are poor quality Chinese imports and you could be buying trouble.
Have you considered suplimenting your original lights with battery units? These give plenty of light and good battery life. Machine Mart (online catalogue) have several including a 72 LED unit which mounts with a magnet or hanging hook for £9.99.
You can gently pop your light lens off with a thin blade at the end. Then as Winter Camper said remove or add a tube. Mine allows one,two or three tubes per unit.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by elijay Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 am

Machine Mart? I hadn't thought of them, they have a store in Portsmouth. Many thanks for the tip.

Also thanks for the tip about the bent screw driver, I'm relieved it's not me being stupid. I won't bother to remove a tube, sounds more bother than it's worth

I'm aware that Chinese imports might not be suitable, however I do have a Chinese imported LED light bulb hanging directly over my bed at home. I bought it via Ebay about 18 months ago and so far it's been fine. It gives out enough light to read very well and the bulb is cool enough to handle.
elijay
elijay

Member Age : 80

Back to top Go down