The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trident T4 - buying dilemma

+6
Dutto
-mojo-
daisy mae
boxerman
scrumpyjack14
hollysheldon
10 posters

Go down

trident T4 - buying dilemma Empty trident T4 - buying dilemma

Post by hollysheldon Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Im a new member hoping to buy a Trident T4 autosleeper.

I really need some help! I wondered if anyone might be able to spare a bit of time to look at this van ive got my eye on?

Ive been looking at the Trident (link below). Ive just had an RAC check done on it, which brought up some things:
- broken ball joint gaiter,
- slightly noisy power steering one way on full lock,
- problem with the horn sounding when steering wheel turned (the owner has the horn disconnected to avoid this, and connects it just for MOT.. hmm, not ideal, but not major I guess).
- temp gauge stays constant at slightly higher than where it should be.

The seller is asking £8750. Im not sure how much these vans hold their price. Its 1991 registered. It has a recon engine with 33,000 on it. Its got good body work, and minimal rust. Some surface rust underneath but not structural. Its in good nick inside, well looked after. It doesn't have a full service history but has receipts for a fair bit of the work done, including the recon engine. Has had 15 owners.

Bearing in mind stuff will go wrong with it, im trying to work out:
1) is it just too old realistically, - im wanting to go to France this summer for a month in it, just me and 2 small children. I do need something reasonably reliable.
2) Is it on at a reasonable price?

If youre able to have a look at all i'd be so grateful.
Thanks!
Holly

Heres the link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

trident T4 - buying dilemma Empty Re: trident T4 - buying dilemma

Post by scrumpyjack14 Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:11 am

Hi Holly,
What's the 'real' mileage of the vehicle? Bear in mind that although the engine (or at least parts of it) have only done 13,000 - the rest of the vehicle has done a lot more!

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by hollysheldon Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:34 am

Hi Steve, It was 151, 000. on the old engine
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Holly, I'm not well up on VWs but:
hollysheldon wrote:Hi Im a new member hoping to buy a Trident T4 autosleeper.

I really need some help! I wondered if anyone might be able to spare a bit of time to look at this van ive got my eye on?

Ive been looking at the Trident (link below). Ive just had an RAC check done on it, which brought up some things:
Says listing ended

- broken ball joint gaiter,
- slightly noisy power steering one way on full lock,
- problem with the horn sounding when steering wheel turned (the owner has the horn disconnected to avoid this, and connects it just for MOT.. hmm, not ideal, but not major I guess).
- temp gauge stays constant at slightly higher than where it should be.

The ball joint boot will need to be done as it keeps grit out and grease in the balljoint.
My power steering pump squawks at full lock both sides, don't know why this one should do it on one side only?
Not having a horn is illegal, why has the owner not fixed this?
Don't think a slightly high temp gauge is a problem unless it's been tampered with - recon engine and new radiator - why?

The seller is asking £8750. Im not sure how much these vans hold their price. Its 1991 registered. It has a recon engine with 33,000 on it. Its got good body work, and minimal rust. Some surface rust underneath but not structural. Its in good nick inside, well looked after. It doesn't have a full service history but has receipts for a fair bit of the work done, including the recon engine.
I don't have a full service history for mine as I do my own servicing / repairs

Has had 15 owners.

This would worry me a great deal, why so many owners?

Bearing in mind stuff will go wrong with it, im trying to work out:
1) is it just too old realistically, - im wanting to go to France this summer for a month in it, just me and 2 small children. I do need something reasonably reliable.
2) Is it on at a reasonable price?
I think condition is more important than age, I don't know if the price is right but it seems expensive to me.
Personally, I'd give it a miss.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 am

I would also give it a miss, if you have two children you will need three , three point seat belts, this has only two, and lap belts, they are not for children as I understand it, there are plenty of good vans out there don`t rush into getting one, do your home work , then you know more and able to barter if need be.

took me ages to find the two I wanted, a small one to start with then a larger one. the first one I looked was a complete rust bucket, a Trophy, she wanted £8000, the windscreen  supports were all rusted through, I walked away, took me five more before I found the good one that I did buy, a Topaz, then took some time to find the Anniversary Clubman.

So take your time, not easy I know when you are excited and eager to get one.

Good luck,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:30 pm

I would avoid it too. The high temperature would worry me. I don't trust many "engine reconditioning" companies, having had bad experiences with two engines that I have had rebuilt.

15 previous owners is also a worry. Granted it is 23 years old and a few of those will have sold due to change of circumstances, but that still leaves a lot of people who have had a reason to shift it on quickly.

I also don't understand the part which says "I have just sent off to get the van reclassified so it can be used in London" as I'm not aware of any "reclassification" that will exempt a 1991 diesel from the LEZ charges.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Seller's name doesn't inspire confidence either  snigger 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi there,

I think there may be a better van out there for you!  wave 

Don't be disheartened.  Remember the Princess had to kiss a lot of frogs!!  allthumbz  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by hollysheldon Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi
Yes, I was planning to get the seat belts sorted for the kids.
Hmm, that's a lot of people saying avoid it... arggghhhh!

Am I going to generally have these problems with any van of this age?  
Do I need to raise what I pay in order to get a decent van?

Seems a 10 year younger van is approx. double the price? 

Hmm, are Trident autosleepers really worth this? That's what im trying to work out. Or get a different make which seem so much cheaper.

Sorry for all the questions! Bit of a minefield.
Reckon I could stretch to £12k. But will this give any better chance of a reliable van?!

Any advice on this greatly received

Holly

Holly
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 pm

How about a VW clubman,  not much bigger, more comfortable, more mpg, more of them for sale from I can see, there are lots of owners on here, me included, mine is my everyday vehicle as many are. just a thought, very reliable into the bargain.

You will get an older one for less than £12,000
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Holly,
We have had our Trident for a couple of years and really love it. It's perfect for the two of us and the dog. The conversion is in my opinion much better than any other T4 conversion i have seen and the high top is so useful for storage (or a bed for a couple of kids). I do think they are worth the money and they do seem to hold their value.

I would agree with previous comments - a recon engine would make me run a mile - especially if it was done at 150k - the 2.4 engines should be fine at this mileage if they have been serviced regularly. And 15 owners seems crazy high for a vehicle that should be a big investmeant and will hopefully become and extra member of the family!

We are actually about to sell ours as we have decided to upgrade to another (2008) Trident - mainly to get automatic gearbox (my wife is deaf and really struggles to hear the gear changes). We pick up the new van on Friday if all goes to plan. I will genuinely be sorry to see 'Sophie' go.

We'll be asking about £14.5k for ours - i dont want to take less than £14k if  (1998 T4, Series 2 long nose, 2.4D, 75,000 miles, lovely condition, Fiamma awning, bike rack, drive away awning, etc). PM me if you are interested. I do have one other person who has 'first refusal' but will be advertising it on here shortly otherwise.

Good luck with your search - there are lots of Tridents out there - I'm sure you'll find the right one for you.

Steve

Last edited by scrumpyjack14 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:44 pm

-mojo- wrote:I also don't understand the part which says "I have just sent off to get the van reclassified so it can be used in London" as I'm not aware of any "reclassification" that will exempt a 1991 diesel from the LEZ charges.

Just a though on this (having had a stinky letter from TFL!). Apparently you can take an older diesel motorhome in to London - if it's below 2.5 tonnes. I believe the Tridents are rated at 3 tonnes. In theory you can take the vehicle to be weighted and (provided it's below the 2.5 tonne mark) get it replated at 2.5 and therefore make it exempt from LEZ.

But i have not tried this and dont know if it's that easy - and i really dont know how much a Trident weights. I assume the government weighbridges are not stupid and 'stripping' the interior to squeeze through might not be allowed!

More info here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Holly, I think you need to take a step back and think about what you need / want.
VWs tend to be at the top end of the price range. Auto-Sleepers tend to be at the top end too so an Auto-Sleeper based on a VW is going to have an asking price higher than "lesser" vans.
Does it have to be a VW?
Does it have to be an A-S? <dons flame proof suit>.
Does it have to be deisel?
Does it have to be a Hightop?
Do you want the same layout as the Trident or would you not prefer a "walk through" layout?

You should be able to get a decent van for well under £12, but its not going to be "new" and might not be a VW. For instance, I know of a 1995 van going for £6800 with the same layout as the Trident, it's an A-S but it isn't deisel and it isn't a VW.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Have PM you,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:21 pm

scrumpyjack14 wrote:
-mojo- wrote:I also don't understand the part which says "I have just sent off to get the van reclassified so it can be used in London" as I'm not aware of any "reclassification" that will exempt a 1991 diesel from the LEZ charges.

Just a though on this (having had a stinky letter from TFL!). Apparently you can take an older diesel motorhome in to London - if it's below 2.5 tonnes. I believe the Tridents are rated at 3 tonnes. In theory you can take the vehicle to be weighted and (provided it's below the 2.5 tonne mark) get it replated at 2.5 and therefore make it exempt from LEZ.

Thanks Steve - I'd not realised that you could do that (or perhaps knew it a while back and those brain cells have died...).

If that's what has been done, I would definitely run away (or budget to have the reclassification reversed immediately after buying). It makes no sense at all to have a Trident re-plated to 2500kg Gross Vehicle Weight!

I had my van weighed recently with just driver and half a tank of fuel on board, and no other load at all. It came in at just under 2300kg. An unladen Trident will be about the same (T4 is slightly lighter than a T5, but mine's only got a pop top - the high top will be heavier). This would leave a Max User Payload of 200kg, which is totally inadequate. Just two "average" passengers and a full tank of water will take you over!

This is not an academic or theoretical issue - if you get random stopped by VOSA (who are known to like random stopping vans) you ~will~ get done if you are over the (re)plated weight.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:27 pm

I cant see a Trident being rated at 3 ton,  Our 1st van was a Calypso / T4 2.4  and slightly larger but same eqt as a Clubman and that was rated at 2.7 ton (Clubman likely to be heavier due to monocoque shell)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi Holly
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice been given here. Don't feel bombarded  smile! 
I have replied to your PM

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 pm

roli wrote:I cant see a Trident being rated at 3 ton,  Our 1st van was a Calypso / T4 2.4  and slightly larger but same eqt as a Clubman and that was rated at 2.7 ton (Clubman likely to be heavier due to monocoque shell)

Interesting. How do I check? Just had a look at the V5 but can't see a weight. It's obviously more than 2.5 or we wouldn't have had the nasty letter from TFL!?

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 pm

My Clubman is 3.3

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Holly, You've been given lots of good advice - the questions posed by boxerman all seem very sensible to me. Good luck in your search for a motorhome.
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex AS Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 am

I have a Trident and love it.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Blossom Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi
15 previous owners?  Thats a big no from me.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down