The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem

4 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem Empty Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:58 pm

The plastic coating on the top of the bumper has come away and creates a bulge on top of the bumper, this stops the rear door from being opened.  From the outside you can push the bulging plastic down but you cannot do this from the inside.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I thought of using a self tapping screw to hold the plastic down but this will do some damage.
Is there a recommended way of fixing this?

Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem A_img_10
Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem A_img_11
Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem A_img_12
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem Empty Re: Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem

Post by chrisvesey Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 am

hi,
my 2001 has a painted back bumper, is yours original or a modification. I would be inclined to drill a couple of holes in the plastic and squirt some glue inside before inserting some self tappers with big washers. As the plastic has expanded to cause a bulge you could try pouring hot water over it and then clamping it flat with a piece of wood and g clamps. you really need to take the bumper off to make a job of it,
good luck
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem Empty Re: Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem

Post by crumb Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm

This might sound a bit obvious but looking at your photos I can't help but think it is something to do with the tow bar, the plastic either side of the centre section looks fine, have you had a look at the tow bar mounting point or has some of the plastic (but not enough) been cut away for the mount to come through. My own plastic cover needed cutting around the tow bar mount not enough had been cut away and distorted the cover until I removed the excess myself, I hope this helps.
Neil
crumb
crumb
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Zozzer Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 pm

We have exactly the same problem with our 2003 Symbol.  It hasn't anything to do with a towbar or step as we don't have one.
I haven't come up with a permanent fix, but I find relatively quick and easy method is to press the offending plastic with a walking stick.
I can't believe Peugeot let these vehicles on the road without putting a walking stick in the toolkit.  up! 

The distorsion is purely down the heat, as in winter the trim contracts and lies flat.
Zozzer
Zozzer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:57 am

Zozzer wrote:I find relatively quick and easy method is to press the offending plastic with a walking stick.
problem is you can't do that when your inside  scratch head  you are effectively trapped inside.

I initially thought it must be caused by a dodgy tow bar fitting but looking closely, the tow bar does not mount to the bumper at all, only directly to the chassis frame.

I think I may have fixed it with chrisvey's suggestion and epoxy glue, I took the screws out and lifted the plastic right away, put loads of epoxy in then clamped it flat with a piece of wood and g clamps for a few hours.  so far so good.

I agree the most likely cause is heat degradation of the plastic, the plastic used to be black but now most of my plastic has faded from sunlight (I believe).
Autosleeper Symbol 2002 Back Door Problem Img_1310
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down