The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing broken fresh water tank tap

+11
WEXFORDBELLE
Paulmold
Peter Brown
Stewart John
-mojo-
peugeotboxer
Bulletguy
troikafloyd
daisy mae
Chopper2456
dencol
15 posters

Go down

Replacing broken fresh water tank tap Empty Replacing broken fresh water tank tap

Post by dencol Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31 pm

I have a 1996 A/S Dorset (similar to the symbol I think) the 'handle' of the tap fitted to the under slung fresh water tank used to drain the tank has broken off. Having had a look I find that all of the plastic tap has become brittle.
I have obtained a new tap from a/s for the grand cost of a few quid but all the workshops contacted are quoting around £120 as they tell me I need to drop the tank?  I'm going to have a try at replacing tap myself first.
But my question is the replacement looks to be the same type of plastic, has anyone replaced the tap with a metal version and if so what tap did they use?
Thank for any advice

Colin
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Replacing broken fresh water tank tap Empty Re: Replacing broken fresh water tank tap

Post by Chopper2456 Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:34 pm

I have the same model of van.  And had the same problem.  I bought a replacement tap assy (albeit red) for £6.50.  The red rotating tap part slips out of its sleeve with a little bit of pressure.  I had to cut the old tap out of it's sleeve (I laid under the van to do this in situ, as I didn't want to have to drop the tank) - taking care not to damage the sleeve.  Then slid the new tap into the barrel.  Job done & works a treat!
Chopper2456
Chopper2456

Female

Member Age : 64

Back to top Go down

Replacing broken fresh water tank tap Empty Re: Replacing broken fresh water tank tap

Post by dencol Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank will have a look at the new tap I've picked up see if I can get it apart
dencol
dencol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:25 pm

When the waste tap broke on my Clubman, I took the tank off as the tap was well sealed in and took the opportunity to give it a good clean, in my tank there was a nut on the inside of the tank had to put my hand in to get that off replaced tap and put the nut back on, that was the hardest  part, couldn`t be done in my case without taking the tank off. sounds as though yours maybe easier.

Good luck

Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Not sure looking at it don't think I can get to the nut without taking tank off, hoping the tap inner will work
dencol
dencol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Dencol,

I have the same problem on my 2004 Symbol so will be interested to see what you do to rectify problem.

Good Luck!
troikafloyd

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I had to replace the tap on my Duetto a couple of years ago. On early Duetto's the tap threaded straight into the tank without the need to drop it but as with all vehicle 'improvements' on later models, the tap is held in by large washer nut inside the tank....so what was a simple 10 minute job now becomes a couple of hours! This is called progress!

I didn't relish the idea of crawling under the van to tackle the job on my own so asked one of the mechanics at the Garage where i have my van MOT'd.

I was glad too as it turned out when he came to undo the tank strap bolts, both just snapped clean off! He replaced it using stainless steel threaded bar and nuts so there won't ever be that problem again.

They charged me £70 for the job.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Bit of an update.  Yes the tap is held in place by a nut inside the tank and no matter how I try I cannot get to this nut without taking the tank off.
Tried to remove the inner part of the tap as suggested but it's not moving so that's a non starter either.
As a bit of a bodge job I've drilled a small hole throught the tap head from where the handle snapped off and threaded a short length of bar through (tapped each end to stop it sliding out). I used a number three drill in an attempt to keep the hole as small as possible yet allowing the bar to be thick enough not to bend. 
Works for now whilst I think of a proper replacement as worried a similar tap will again break at some point, may look for a brass tap replacement of some system of running a hose from the tank to a tap by the edge of the van similar system to the waste tank tap.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
dencol
dencol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 pm

@dencol, couldn't help but be nosey and looked through your photo gallery.......................................................a train set in the garden........WOW!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Boys toys!  G scale trains roughly 1:22 scale. Also have radio control boats and just finished trike off.  Oh and had a very understanding wife
dencol
dencol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:14 pm

I like the trebuchet!

[Edit, actually, it probably isn't as it doesn't have a "sling", but it looks good anyway]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 pm

I bought my tap from Screw Fix, took the tank off, cleaned it out, had to put hands in to get the nut off the tap from inside, and then replace I did it but as I have small hands, would me more difficult if you have larger hands, fiddly but do-able.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi

I just sold a van with a broken fresh water drain tap which I turned with a pair of pliers. Anyway just sitting there thinking about the nut problem. I wonder if it possible to drill two holes either side the tap and put two self tapping screws in to hold the nut in place then unscrew the tap out. Although the new tap thread may not start the same and will not line up in the down position. As for leaks it would need to sealed with a sealant. That me done thinking.    scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:49 am

peugeotboxer wrote:@dencol, couldn't help but be nosey and looked through your photo gallery.......................................................a train set in the garden........WOW!!

PB

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know its off topic but at least its not about the EU...

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 am

I know its off topic but at least its not about the EU...

Peter
CC has a lot to answer for starting that thread.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:27 am

Hi this topic has been dealt with in the past see (previous threads) I replaced mine when I had the van with a metal tap fitting from screwfix worked a treat

and emptied much faster  the removal of the tank is not that difficult if you can get under the van (I used ramps),

I would suggest if you go that way when you remove the inspection covers to get your hands in that when you refit them that you use some sealant on the

large "O" rings I didn,t the first time and after fitting filled with water and they leaked so had to do it all again by that time I could do the whole job from start

to finish in less than 2 hrs another tip is to soak the threads the night before with penetrating  oil and to lower the tank slowly on a scissor jack.

I hope this is of some help! allthumbz
Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 pm

dencol wrote:Boys toys!  G scale trains roughly 1:22 scale. Also have radio control boats and just finished trike off.  Oh and had a very understanding wife
Now you've got ME interested, I make model boats as well. smile!
Biker as well, is that a V-max trike??

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by art Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Dropping the tank is not very difficult or time consuming.
When out it is satisfying to give it a good clean and replace any taps and connectors , and replace the hanging bolts.
It is also an opportunity to inspect the chassis , floor , and inner sill , and deal with any rust problems ,and waxoil.
art
art

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Due to disability getting under the van is very difficult and I had hoped I could easily change the tap as dropping the tank is beyond my abilities.  It's also why I was Thinking of a hose extension rather than tap cause even getting under the van to turn tap is difficult.
Looks like I'm at some point going to have to bite the bullet and have the tank dropped.  
Oh and yes it's a 1200cc v-max and fitted back axle from MGB sports makes for an 'interesting' ride.
dencol
dencol

Male

Back to top Go down

Replacing broken fresh water tank tap Empty Fresh water tank tap

Post by redturner37 Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 pm

The fresh water drain tap on my Fiat Ducato Harmony appeared to be dripping from the flange that sits against the tank. I tried to nip it up but it seems the thread in the inner nut is partial stripped and wont seal. I removed the tap after draining and tried various sealants but to no avail so as a temporary measure made up a plate to go inside and lock a plate on the outside with a bit of rubber in between. I do not want to have to drop the tank so have decided to either tap the hole out to 1 1/4" bsp, screw a bush in and screw the tap into the bush or find a suitable plastic adhesive. Can any one recommend a good one. Thank you.
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi Guys - I purchased a replacement tap from my local home brew shop - took it and my Symbol to my local garage - they put van on vehicle lift - then unscrew access gland in base of water tank and unscrewed and removed old tap - they then somehow glued tap fixing nut inside tank and fitted new tap - now its easy to unscrew tap if required. Total garage cost £20.00
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down